Day 2 - Have a couple of questions

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Day 2 - Have a couple of questions

Postby freckle lips » May 27th, 2005, 9:11 pm

Day 1 went surprisingly well for me. I caught myself thinking about food a lot, however. Had I not started this diet, everytime I'd had those food thoughts, I probably would've acted on them. Just day 1 has shown me how much I eat, and love food. Today was a bit harder, at about 6:00 p.m. I got SOO hungry, only an hour after my last shake. I toughed it out as long as I could, then had another shake and felt better soon after, and am still feeling fine.

I guess this is where my questions come in. When I've gone too long without eating before, which tends to happen just about every day, I get very shakey and light headed. Eating something quick usually solves this, but something with sugar in it seems to work fastest. I've always wondered about being hypoglycemic. My mother has very low blood pressure and also has these spells. Does anyone here suffer this problem too? And how does the MF affect it? What is the "quick fix" while on this diet?

Also, I work nights, bartending. It's hectic work, and most nights I don't have time to eat until I'm closing up. I'm thinking I'll make my shakes/meal before work and eat them whenever I get the chance. This goes along with my first question though. Usually when I get to the point of being shakey, it's too late and I stuff something down just to make it go away.

Is it ever okay to cheat?? About once every 3 months my mom and I make a day of shopping, and usually get a good lunch somewhere. We've got one of these trips coming up soon, and I hate to skip my favorite part of the day. How far would that set me back if I were to "cheat?" I know most places have items on the menu that would work, but it's just not like me to go to a nice place and eat right! :D

Sorry for the novel like post, but I've seen nothing but good things on this board, and knew this was the place to get advice - not to mention some much needed encouragement.

By the way, my goal is to lose about 35 lbs., to start anyway. I figure once I lose that much, I'll have a better idea of where I want to be.

Thanks in advance

Amber
freckle lips

Postby doglover » May 28th, 2005, 7:41 am

Hey Amber - Freckle Lips is a cute sign on name ;)
I am so right with you on this! I realized too how much I thought about food and nibbled all day! But that will pass. It took me about 2 weeks of constant reminders before it suddenly became "easy" for me to forget that food is in the house.

I also get very weak and shaky. When I began I would have 1 cup of bouillon and that would resolve it instantly. Seriously, it was a life saver. You can also have 1 of the fast soups to help as well. The other suggestion I have for your work hours is to maybe take a bar to work to snack on? That might be easier than a shake or soup at work. But remember you can only have 1/day so don't have one earlier. I use bars a lot for meetings and times when I just can't have a shake or anything else.

Finally, on the mom/lunch thing. You can have a chicken salad or any lean meat w/ green veggies. That is not cheating. You would have 5 supplements and one meal those days. You can switch back and forth between the 2 plans. Would that work for your lunch out w/ mom? I do that when our family wants to go out to eat or I have work committment involving lunch.

I think the aspect of cheating (IMO) is that #1 you can set your body back and have to "start over" on the ketosis thing and #2 MF is about life style and learning to control our eating. If you cheat now you are not gaining valuable life experience on how to control urges and make it thru tough times, which got you and I in this boat in the first place!! Now...this being said I did have some struggles with peanut butter for a while. So I am not perfect. But planning to cheat may defeat the purpose. In the book "Success in a Shaker Jar" it also talks about deciding to take a break. This is exactly what I did when I went to Jamaica but it was a conscious choice and I couldn't wait to get back on the medi train when I got back. So before you "cheat" decide why and what kind of break it is so that you don't sabotage yourself!

Sorry this is so long. I must feel long winded! But I really felt like I was in a similar path as you when I began! Hope some of this helps!

Great having you here!
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Nancy » May 28th, 2005, 9:47 am

Amber ~

Welcome to the MakeMeThinner Forum Family! You’ll have those 35 pounds off in no time at all IF you follow the protocol.

Yes, many people feel shakey when their blood sugar drops. That’s why our program is carefully designed to provide you with the necessary fuel you need to keep on goin’ and not run out of gas.

In order for that to happen, you need to eat your meals on time. Eat every three hours.

Many of us have very busy work schedules. Perhaps a good food choice for you would be to order the Medifast Ready To Drink shakes - they are already prepared. Although it is not idel to suck down your drink in less than five minutes, there have been times that I needed to do so – and those RTDs are perfect for that.

If need be, grab a shake box and drink on your way to and from the BR – surely you get a few minutes to use the BR every once in a while.

You could keep your RTD in the refer right there in the bar, grab it and have a sip as you are able. Eat every three hours, sooner, if need be but never ever go more than 4 hours between meals.

Many people find that by eating their meals on time coupled with the correct macronutrient balance of the Medifast products that many hypoglycemic symptoms are under control. They feel energized and rarely nod off or feel like Crabbyappletons any more.

Re: CHEAT

:shock: Are you serious?

You are asking me if it is ok to cheat?

My philosphy is “One bite leads to another…leads to poundage.”

There are lots of program-compliant meal choices at restaurants. Have a nice green salad with low fat/low cal dressing (ask for it on the side and then dip your fork into it and sprinkle as needed) have grilled fish, chicken, or shellfish.

In place of potatoes, pasta or rice ask for steamed green vegetables. It’ s far better to have a double portions of veggies than to eat bread andbutter, ‘taters and deep fried food…

There are others here that will tell you to go ahead and cheat, just plan on several days of getting to the fat-burning state.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » May 28th, 2005, 10:16 am

Hi Freckles and welcome to the forum,

Planning to cheat is like planning a wrong turn to an appointment. Just be sure to plan on getting there later than you could have.

This plan is so simple, you have to be pretty creative to come up with an excuse for not following it.

Have a box of shakes handy in the car, at work, and anywhere you spend alot of time. If you can't find 2 minutes of spare time every 3-4 hours, I'd have a little talk with your boss, or find a new one.

A healthy lean/green can be found just about anywhere (even those evil fast food joints), if you don't happen to have any Medi-meals handy.

You'll be in the swing of things in no time, once you get adjusted to your new habits. Those unwanted pounds don't have a chance, if you stick to the plan.

Happy Shakin,
:cheers:
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby noexcuse » May 28th, 2005, 10:21 am

Hi freckle lips what a cute name. Nancy and Donna sure hit the nail on the head with there thoughts all I can add is from experience Nancy is 1000% percent correct “One bite leads to another…leads to poundage.” I have wasted a lot of time playing this game and you are already doing so great 2 lbs wow!! :)

I also bartended some nights too I used to a lot but have taken a quick break with less hours recently cause I changed clubs, but I certainly identify with the craziness. For you meals though bringing a bar is a great idea, you could also get on of those freeze type water bottles that have the freezer thing in the middle (I found mine in CVS but I am sure there are a lot around now with summer) and then pre mix your shake in that and it will stay cold, or you could always bring you packet and mix it up with some diet coke from the bar gun, as you’ll never run out of soda lol… The other thing I do is set an alarm normally I just set my cell to vibrate at the times for my meals cause I sure won’t hear it with all the noise, an then keep it in my pocket or clip on my pants. Well just a thought or two. Have a great holiday!!
Eccl 3:1 To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven. (Now is the time to acheive your goal)

Ali
noexcuse
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby freckle lips » May 28th, 2005, 10:23 am

Thanks for the replies. I guess only being on day 3 cheating is still very tempting. I will do my best to refrain, and when the time comes, hopefully I will have seen good enough results to keep me from it.
freckle lips

Return to Come on in.