DarkandStormy's journal

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

DarkandStormy's journal

Postby goodtaste1 » March 12th, 2007, 10:20 am

Hi All (and esp. Beth),

I just spent 30 minutes reading Beth's journal and am sitting here in awe. I admire the honesty, the ups and downs, the joys and sadness - and all of the support from everyone.

As we speak, I have not started MF, but am looking for the FedEx/UPS guy to deliver it at any time.

I am going to follow Beth's lead and keep my journal here. I definitely need inspiration - and support and know I'll get it here. I'm hopeful that I can follow through with this program and thank you in advance for your help!

Jody
Cheers!

Jody
goodtaste1
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby GucciGoo » March 12th, 2007, 10:58 am

Thank you! I have actually been MIA for a while because I have been in one of my cheating episodes :( I try to be honest because MF is not an easy diet, although many people here swear by it.

I re-started today and I plan on behaving until my trip to Vegas on April 26th. Thank you for your comments. It is really hard for someone my age to be in social situations and do MF, because I end up cheating more often than not. I always decline lunch offers at work because I don't want to deal with the ridicule from people eating burgers and French fries. So I sit at my desk like a hermit when everyone else goes out. I have really tried to be good on the diet- like when my husband wanted to go to TGI Friday's for dinner- I ordered fajitas, only to find out afterward that there was a ton of butter in them. (What I should have done is just brought a MF bar and skipped my L&G for the day?)

Keep on reading! I need supporters! And definitely start a journal. It will help you to keep track and see how far you've come!
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Serendipity » March 12th, 2007, 4:23 pm

Beth, what does cheating have to do with age? Do you think we old fogies don't have a social life? Well, I'm here to tell you that I eat out for lunch several times per week and dinner several times per week, too. We all learned in grade school not to give in to peer pressure. It's not something that you learn in middle age. I have plenty of peer pressure, too. I just choose not to let other people talk me into things that I know I don't want or need to do. If you wanted to stick to the program, you would and could. Sorry, can't blame your age.

If this message sounds irate, it's not. I'm just pointing out the obvious.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Sojourner » March 12th, 2007, 4:37 pm

Serendipity wrote:Beth, what does cheating have to do with age?

LOL, Jo ~ I was gonna' ask the same thing!

Beth, I hang out with college-aged kids a lot of the time...talk about a social environment! If it's not pizza and cheeseburgers, it's booze. I just choose not to inbibe at this time. There are several MFers here who are your age and choose to be compliant ~ and they are consistently losing weight for their efforts!

So there!
~*~*~*Sojourner*~*~*~

Shake it gone, babeee!!!
Sojourner
Preferred member

Postby supermom » March 12th, 2007, 7:25 pm

HEHEHE I still laugh every time someone types MFers. It just really looks so BAAAD!!
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby MerryMary » March 12th, 2007, 7:45 pm

Beth, I have to side with Jo and Sojourner. If you stick to the program MF works! ... but it dosen't work sitting in the box. :roll:

However, if you find a weightloss program that allows you to eat hamburgers and french fries with your friends, let me know!

BTW, I am 59, single and have a social life. My good friends are cheering me on!

Mary
MARY
Started MF 11/6/06; reached goal 9/27/07.
MerryMary
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby Mike » March 12th, 2007, 10:09 pm

Beth,
Good for you for acknowledging that this is not an easy program. As HA's, Diana and I tell people in your situation/state of mind that this may not be the program that works for them. Its all about what you want. If you feel like this program is hindering you in social situations, then this is probably not for you. Again, you have to decide what you want.
For us, its about health, and a better life. We don't care what others think; its not their bodies. Others certainly didn't care about us when we were over 300 and 400 lbs. We make the choice everyday to do this, and that's really all that matters.
Good for you for making the decision to keep trying to get healthy; that takes alot, and some people would have just quit.
We hope that you find what works for you.
:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Diana » March 12th, 2007, 10:22 pm

Mike wrote: Others certainly didn't care about us when we were over 300 and 400 lbs.

Actually, they did care -- well, care's not the word. Notice. Comment. Stare and point. We are, in fact, much less conspicuous now at "normal" overweight sizes with shakes in our hands than we were at nearing half a ton combined.

Best to you, Beth, as you continue your struggle. I'm certain there will come a point when you are willing to do all things necessary to have the body AND the life you want.
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby GucciGoo » March 13th, 2007, 4:44 am

Quotes I have heard while at work:

"Oh, she's doing those weird shake things"

"Beth can't come to lunch today, she's starving herself again"

"Beth is being anorexic this week, so she won't come to lunch"

"Don't you ever eat? I'm worried about you"

"We WOULD have asked you to come to lunch, but we know you don't eat"

"Eeeeew. What are you drinking?"

I feel like a recluse. I don't get invited to lunches at work anymore and people think I either have an eating disorder or am in some weird non-eating cult. I guess you all have wonderful support systems at work. I don't. I have a bunch of overweight miserable people who are constantly in my business and making me feel like crap.

The other day, my baby son tried to put a Cheerio in my mouth and I spit it out and then he cried. How can I have explained that ONE little Cheerio would make Mommy go off her diet?
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby nickieluv » March 13th, 2007, 5:29 am

Beth, I'm sorry you have to deal with all that. I know how you feel about your son - my daughter is always trying to share her dinner and snacks, and it's hard to keep saying no to her.

And your work situation is really sad. I didn't see any changes in my work life because I was always a recluse, eating lunch alone in my classroom (when I ate at all, that is). But I don't know if I'd have been able to stay on plan this long if people were always making negative comments. I know it must eat away at you.

I think it's good that you know they are just overweight and miserable themselves, though. I mean, do you really want to hang around with people like that? Even when you reach goal and can 'eat normally' again, won't they just pull you right back to being overweight?

Good luck, keep soldiering on - try to remember that the long-term benefits are why we do this. You will find better friends and your son will have a mommy who's healthy. I feel for you!
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Serendipity » March 13th, 2007, 5:56 am

Beth,

I know you've heard this before......You cannot control what other people say and do, but you CAN control your reaction.

We have all had people say those things to us, but we don't have a poor me attitude about it. In fact, when someone says something to me I usually have a quick comeback and we all laugh. Once, I even said to my co-workers: "You all just keep on eating that stuff, because the fatter you get, the thinner I'll look next to ya".

You could take a proactive roll regarding eating out with coworkers if you want to be included. I would make it known that even though you're on a diet, you still want to socialize. I can't imagine that your coworkers are so cruel that they really want to exclude you from lunch. If they are, they aren't worth the trouble.

It's all attitude, Beth. As for being able to outsmart a baby.....well, I think you could.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Postby lauradr » March 13th, 2007, 6:29 am

I have to agree with Jo---Age has nothing do with it-I have people always saying things about my MF-I have lots of social issues with work with going out to with clients-I have to say no thank you--The only thing age might do--is the older you get--you could care less what people thank--you know what your doing it for--YOU

As for your son and the food--do what I do w/my grand daughter when she put's in my mouth I pretend to eat it and throw it away
I'm not where I wanna be but, thank God I'm not where I use to be!

248/174/150

t: 5'11
lauradr
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby goodtaste1 » March 13th, 2007, 8:19 am

Glad to hear from you Beth and I totally appreciate your honesty!! I plan to do the same thing here -be brutally honest and open. I look forward to the feedback: praise, cheering on, pats on the back and the occasional kick in the butt!

I don't know how old you are, but your journal struck me because of your starting weight and goal weight. We're fairly close in those.

I'm 45 with no children to chase around or worry about. (My only daughter, Kelsey, died suddenly of a brain aneurysm on Valentines Day 1996. She was 7 and this year would be turning 19. Please don't freak out about that! I love love love talking about her and memories of her are my treasures.)

As far as age goes, I've found that the older I get, the more difficult it is to lose weight. Social situations and work situations aside, it's just plain metabolism. It slows down.

My challenge is my job. I work from home and need to stay out of the kitchen. I'm very stressed due to my demanding clients and the nature of my work, and I'm traveling more than I'd like to - which means restaurants, crowds, drinks, etc.

Like I said on an earlier post, I am officially 2 hours into this so I am just here to learn from you all. I'm looking forward to watching my little 'ticker' whiddle away (along with my extra 50+ pounds).

Cheers to seeing less of me!

:whoohoo:
Cheers!

Jody
goodtaste1

Postby fairladyj » March 13th, 2007, 9:42 am

There are lots of us here that work full time, and find ways to stay compliant. I'm actually on MF due to a coworker of mine who lost a sizeable amount of weight in a short time.

Yes, people will say dumb things - but I noticed that you said many of your coworkers are overweight - maybe it's their issue - don't let it be yours. If you lose weight, that gives them 1 less excuse.

Some tricks -
1. Fast food - Wendy's has an "Ultimate Chicken Grill" sandwich - I order it with no sauce, and the side salad instead of fries. throw away the bun, and I keep Wishbone Salad spritzers at my desk that I can pop in my purse when going out.

2. Real restaurants - find at least one near your office that either has a grilled meat and veggie side or small salad on the menu, or that will accomodate your request. Mountain Jack's near my office has always been helpful letting me know how things are prepared, so I don't get surprises

I know we all go through phases of committment to this process. Don't beat yourself up - you will do it when you are ready.
Jennifer in Michigan

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!
fairladyj

Postby Mike » March 13th, 2007, 12:53 pm

Beth,
Not that it sounds like your co-workers would be open to it, but have you offered to let them try the medifast meals. The food is good and if they are all overweight, they could use the program.
Just an idea.... you never know.... could make a friend in the process. If not, I would say just do your thing and let them do theirs, and they will see who is healthier at the end.
:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Next

Return to What's Shakin'