Couple of questions about the medifast program

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Couple of questions about the medifast program

Postby Haxie » November 21st, 2003, 2:23 pm

I am a newbie here, and on the introducion page, I was informed about the Medifast diet products.

If I am not mistaken, they are essentially protein shakes that are utiized as a meal replacement, and help the body enter a ketogenic state so that it burns fat instead of storing it.

I am all for the low carb lifestyle, in fact, I feel my best when I simply cut out sugars, starches, and processed foods in general, but replacing my meals with a liquid diet? How in the name of all that is holy do you do that and not go mad?

I mean seriously, at what point do you draw the line between 'being thinner' and enjoying life?

For example, I am currently 6'4" and 280 lbs, and am down about 20 lbs as a result of the aforementioned low carb lifestyle. I enjoy eating. I repeat, I ENJOY EATING. I eat good stuff: Chicken, fish, steaks, chops, lots of broccoli, cauliflauer, carrots, nuts, cheese, and I do eat a lot of fruits and other veggies that do contain some sugars and starches, but for the most part, it's whole foods.

If I were told I was going to be 280 for the rest of my life unless I switched to a liquid meal replacement, then I would simply tell that person...OK. Now pass me that Porterhouse and brocolli.

Am I missing something on this plan?

Who is it geared to? Is it the guy like me that needs to drop 20-30 lbs, or the guy that needs to drop 100 lbs or more?

Once you start Medifast, do you have to keep drinking the shakes, or what?

I don't want to discourage you guys, in fact, if you are doing and succeeding HATS OFF TO YOU, but man, this just does not sound like something I could do.

Sir Hacksalot
"There are only three things that scare me: snakes, needles, and women with knives."
Haxie

Re: Couple of questions about the medifast program

Postby explorthis » November 21st, 2003, 4:07 pm

Haxie wrote:If I am not mistaken, they are essentially protein shakes that are utiized as a meal replacement, and help the body enter a ketogenic state so that it burns fat instead of storing it.

How in the name of all that is holy do you do that and not go mad?

I mean seriously, at what point do you draw the line between 'being thinner' and enjoying life?

Now pass me that Porterhouse and broccoli.

this just does not sound like something I could do.

You do not go mad!!

You want to loose weight? The only way to loose it is either sucking it out, cutting it out with a knife, or changing your life. Life change is the only option! You do not go mad. Read all of my posts… 9/8/03=6’3” 337 pounds. 267 as of today in 74 days, that’s 70#. It is a mind change, in addition to a lifestyle change. You become USED to the program (shakes) and it becomes a part of you while you are loosing.

You say pass the Porterhouse and Broccoli? I say pass me a shake. Believe me when I say food does not sound good to me, how can this be? Because I CHOSE to do this, it was not forced on me. I ate healthy, I also ate CRAP! Either way, you want to loose weight. This plan is for someone that wants to loose 10 or 100#, it is your choice.

Draw the line? Thinner and enjoying life? Who said we (I) am not enjoying life? Because I have OPTED – DECIDED – CHOSEN to do Medifast, who decides weather you are enjoying life? You do. I love life, I love it more now, being thinner, and close to a weight I have not seen in 20+ years. 3 months out of my life without a Big Mac is a short span of time in the 42 years I have been alive. Will I ever have a Big Mac, and a Porterhouse again? Probably. Will I be smarter? YES.

You can only do it if you want to; it’s your choice YOUR CHOICE. We on this board (I am only a participant I do not work for Medifast or any affiliate) come here for ideas, information and support, and actually have a little fun, while RELEARNING what has taken over our lives “Porterhouse and Broccoli”.

Read this board completely, read all the posts. Read Nancy’s newsletter… Something has to be working, for ME to have lost 70 pounds by CHOICE!

IT WORKS, and is my choice.

-Mike
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » November 22nd, 2003, 2:04 am

Hi Haxie,
The Medifast "full fast" (Medifast products only) was designed for a safe and effective approach for obesity, which as we all know now, is the cause for many serious diseases and health issues including shortened lifespans.

There's also a Modified plan that includes one sensible lean/green meal per day.

There's also special formulas for diabetics, coronary health, women's health, joint health and sports related supplements also.

Many people choose the convenience of the shakes, but there are many other meal replacements available. Soups, Chili, Bars, etc..

For many people "enjoying life" is pretty difficult when you're 50-100 or more pounds overweight and this is a vehicle that can get you to a healthy weight. While you're reaching your goal, you educate yourself on how you got where you are and what you can do to maintain your goal once you reach it.

For some people drawing the line between being thinner and dieing is a pretty easy decision. For others, just being able to safely and easily trim down to a healthy weight without menus, planning, or a dietary college degree makes Medifast a good alternative.

With proper exercise and a sensible diet, losing your 20 lbs should be no prob. A month on the Medifast Modified plan and you'd be there also.

Once you reach your goal you don't have to continue on the program, but if you go back to exactly what you were doing, guess what?

All the best,
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Jeanette » November 22nd, 2003, 7:37 pm

Excellent post Mike and Tim! :)
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Haxie » November 24th, 2003, 2:51 pm

I did not mean to come across as judgemental at all. In fact, I understand how hard it is to shed fat, it's very difficult.

I just guess that in reading this site, and seeing what medifast is about, it simply is not for me.

For one thing, I enjoy food. My problem is that I don't eat to live, I live to eat. A meal is an event to me (not a competive event :lol:), but something that is an important part of my day, life, and is something I enjoy. Carrying an extra 20 lbs and enjoying that, or sucking my meals through a straw or from a bag...that sounds like a recipe for failure for me.

I wish you all good luck, god speed, and I hope you are all successful, but I am headed down a different path.

Sir Hacksalot
"There are only three things that scare me: snakes, needles, and women with knives."
Haxie

Return to Weight Loss