Cooking Fresh Green Beans

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Cooking Fresh Green Beans

Postby armeewyf » July 15th, 2005, 1:41 pm

Hi all...not sure where to post this question. Here goes...

Got some fresh green beans, which I love. Now, how to cook them? I usually use bacon. Now thats a no no. Think I could use turkey bacon to cook them in instead? Boullion? help!

I should add that I need to make them so they are edible for the family--my husband loves real bacon in them...think I could sneak in the substitute?

Thanks!
Lee Ann
armeewyf
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby want2Bthin » July 15th, 2005, 1:44 pm

Lee Ann-

Hey girl! Glad your back from vacation. I make green beans all the time & yep, I use turkey bacon. I use about 2 slices for a big pan of green beans. I add lite salt & pepper. Sometimes I put in a little garlic. Not only does everyone here like them but I have served them to family not on MF & they love them.

Angelia :D
want2Bthin
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Green Beans

Postby Jan » July 15th, 2005, 1:46 pm

Hi There,
What I do is cook some for my family and more for me. That way they get them the way they are used to and you get them a new way. I think bouillon sounds good. I then spry mine with that butter spray stuff. Pretty good.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Karen » July 15th, 2005, 4:47 pm

I love fresh green beans. I "steam fry" mine. A bit of water in a saute pan, add the whole beans, then just keep tossing. When that water cooks out, I just add a bit more. I do this for about 8-10 minutes until the beans are crisp tender. Then just add a bit of salt. I love these leftover and cold right out of the fridge.
5'3 50 y/o Married
Started MF 11-08-04
Renewal experience 7-16-05
Karen

Postby Nancy » July 15th, 2005, 7:49 pm

Folks....look in the Lean Cuisine web room for recipes....use the search ^ (up above there) clicky, too...
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby mytime » July 19th, 2005, 9:12 am

Everyone - I bought some french green beans at Costco to have with my L&G I did not see these on the list of vegetables. Suprisingly I have not eaten a lot of vegetables in my lifetime (ha ha ) so they look like fresh green beans but are longer and skinnier (like I want to be :D ) Are they ok ? It said on the label french green beans ?Also they said 1.5 cups of green beans - how do people measure this ? I know I am a rock but do you cut them up and stuff them in the cup ? Mine were sticking out and I kept thinking this doesn't look right. :shock: Oh, and how much butter spray can we use and what kind do people suggest ? Mytime
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime

Postby Nancy » July 19th, 2005, 9:42 am

MyTime ~

French Green beans ARE green beans. Yep, they are very tasty lightly steamed so they are still crunchy. Do a search for ideas of how to prepare them (search using the term "Green Beans") .

Measure them AFTER cooking by chopping them up and stuffing them into a measuring cup.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Come on in.