A whole new fresh adventure!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Postby BerkshireGrl » August 14th, 2005, 11:50 am

Hi everyone :)

This is gonna be a long post...

Well, well... first, my poor uncle passed away this morning at 6 am. He put up a good hard fight, since August 2nd, but this morning, his body was so filled with infection and his blood pressure just couldn't keep up, no matter what the hospital did. They tried for 30 minutes to save him, but they couldn't... Ah well, he was deathly ill in 1993 and my family thought he was lost then, but he pulled through. Maybe God let him have 12 more years on the slide ;)

His service will be Thursday morning. I stayed with my mom for a few hours today, and before I left, I convinced her to take a nap. She was exhausted from everything, and dealing with family phone calls, service plans...

I'll tell you, the way he lived, as I grew up, with an addiction that I know runs through my family, slowly it ate up his life and talent. He was a such a talented artist, really, could have had his own business, no question, but he took another path to help out in his mother's drapery business... with his BFA newly under his hat... and art soon became a side hobby, then he stopped it. I guess he lost the passion for it.

My mother called me this morning while I worked (yes, a half day on Sunday) and told me... I sat and thought about his life while I worked for another two hours, and how he was such a funny, joyful man, that slowly faded as the years passed. It was like a clarion call of a trumpet to me, and what my life has become... I bury my artistic talent in real estate postcard design, clicking a mouse and using Pantone charts, putting in my overtime to try and get promoted to a position I think less and less will really happen.

Oh yeah, my job - well, after my problems with insane salary jealously, I decided to make a positive go at it instead, and came up with a well-researched proposal for our business to recreate the Art Director job. My immediate boss seemed very receptive, but recently, the responsibilities I proposed are being handed out to me and also others.... to share the training of new hires, to write a design manual... it worries me that they will decide to go with adding onto the senior staffs' duties instead of reaching into their pockets to promote me. I mean, I can see why, sure, it saves money, you know? But I think the effect will be diluted, and I can tell you for sure, that my enthusiasm for pushing my talents will be greatly lessened. I'm already getting really burned out on computers, and the grind of this particular business.

I feel like my life has been going nowhere... and I have made several poor decisions since I graduated from college, well, actually dating back to when I graduated from high school in 1989! Nothing earth-shatteringly awful... just misdirection... wasted time and efforts in a major and grad school that took me nowhere for several years... busting my butt in waitressing jobs for years to get by as a student... moving across the country "in search of"...

I am lucky in that I have my health, and most of my youth at age 34, and no partner or children to consider their lives and desires (both a good and bad one, the last, heh!) Yes, I have a pretty big chunk of debt, but... I can uproot and follow any direction I want.

I know I have no satisfaction in my job. I am very good at it, and have the liking and respect of coworkers, but... I feel like I am punching a time clock to nowhere ;)

A coworker of mine just this past Friday, an older woman (about 45), quit to pursue her dream to return to school, get her BFA, sell her fabric art in a gallery, and also get her teaching certificate to teach art to children... I was so happy for her as she left... she is married, financially stable, son grown up and moved out, and can devote her life to her true wishes. I admit I was a bit jealous too, and wished I had that stability with no debt backed by healthy savings, so I could do the same.

But you know, life is short! I was willing to go into debt for grad school in archaeology, with the prospect of being a college professor... but not art school? I never got as excited about archaeology as I did art :roll:

Instead of living the rest of my life, plugging away at Coldwell Banker brochures, it could be better to seize the day and take a shot at art school, despite having my first BA, which will restrict a lot of my aid down to loans only (no scholarships or grants.)

Well, with the thought of my uncle close in my mind, it seems a crime to "settle" and gray away one's life. Money is important, but so is zest for life ;) Part of that for me is getting rid of this fat. I've been in the process of covering myself up in many ways for years... making myself my own long-lost artifact :lol:

You only get the one time around, right? ;)

Something to think about.

As far as MF goes, I am on track. I'm hungry :lol: but toughing it out. In about 15 minutes, I will be on shake #3 of 3. I am already losing unsual amounts of water :mrgreen: Nice!

Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday... and keep pursuing what YOUR happiness is. :D
Last edited by BerkshireGrl on August 14th, 2005, 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » August 14th, 2005, 12:21 pm

Sarah ~

I am truly sorry to hear that your uncle passed away. It is a time for reflection. I am thankful that you understand the importance for improving your health.

I have done a lot of different things in my lifetime and I will say that it is important to love what you do and to live a balanced life. Terry and I read a book called, Repacking Your BagsHow to Live With a New Sense of Purpose by Richard J. Leider & David A. Shapiro. It is excellent. It was helpful to me during my weight loss journey.

I am now living my life with purpose and meaning.

Mid-life crisis can occur at any time. The authors prefer to call it the 'mid-life inventure' and view it as an opportunity to ask ourselves the following questions:

1. What do I want?

2. What do I feel?

3. What must I do now to feel right with myself?

4. What are my dreams for myself and what fears have blocked me?

This can be an often painful but also a wonderful opportuity to redesign yourself.

As you feel better physcially, you will begin to think more clearly and having structure in your life may help you to progress in your 'inventure' and you'll become whole and deeply contented because you will know your purpose.

Our heartelt sympathy to you in the passing of your uncle, Sarah.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby want2Bthin » August 14th, 2005, 12:30 pm

Sarah-

I wish I knew all the right things to say. I am not the best with putting my emotions & thoughts into words. I am very sorry to hear about your Uncle. I will be praying for you & your family.

I respect your frustration about your career. All I can say is to pray for peace on making the best decision for you. I am a bit of a dreamer so the "fly by the seat of my pants girl" says GO FOR IT! However, I know you will have to make that decision on your own. I am a bit of an artist myself so I say don't forget about your talent.

Take care,
Angelia
want2Bthin
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby martha » August 14th, 2005, 4:34 pm

SARAH--

I am so sorry to hear about your uncle..Yes God did give him 12 years extra and has a reason for not leaving him now..We don't know what that is but he does.. Your uncle is in the best of hands now and not in any more pain..
As for as your career--I wish I would of done what I really wanted to do when I was younger..I ended up being exactly what I wanted to do but for FREE.. I am now 50 and dream often of restarting school for becoming a hospic nurse.. God knows I have plenty of experience in this field in the last 13 years as I have taken care of 7 people who were dieing..Do what makes you happy --that's my motto.. especially since you are still still so young.. Give your mom an extra big hug form all of us here at the forum and tell her she is in our prayers.I will also pray ask God to give you peace in your decisions..Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby 24KaratGold » August 14th, 2005, 10:30 pm

Sarah, I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. It sounds like this is something of a watershed moment for you. Good luck and God bless in figuring out what direction you want your life to take now.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby KeleeGrl » August 15th, 2005, 6:43 am

Sarah...I'm really sorry to hear about your uncle and you are in my thoughts.

I'm still asking myself, "what do I want to do when I grow up". I'm very bored with my job, but not sure what I should do...its very frustrating. I have put other applications in within Cornell University, but we shall see.
I know I'm definitely ready for a change!
Kelli
Re-re-restarted MF: 3/10/08

KeleeGrl
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby sprgrammy » August 15th, 2005, 8:23 am

Sarah,
I am so sorry to hear of your Uncles passing. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. And good luck in whatever path you decide to take in life. Blessings, Carol
sprgrammy
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby LeeannNH » August 18th, 2005, 1:20 pm

hi sarah

im sorry to hear about your uncle, it sounds like you have fond memories of him and that is a wonderful way to keep him in your heart. i also think it is impressive that you are able to take this difficult time to reflect on your life and your dreams.

i thought i would share with you my story of getting out of a creative rut. i am a graphic designer as well, my last in-office job was at rockport publishers in gloucester, ma and i was in a trap. i was feeling completely unfulfilled and felt like my creative juices were being drained. i was project managing designers and giving art direction, my hands-on design work was limited--YUCK! that was 8 years ago and i now have my own design studio, i am my own boss and have a completely different life.

your desire for creativity and your passion for it should not be ignored. i think you are brave and smart for approaching your boss with your thoughts on an art director position. your drive and your incentive will be appreciated and recognized. maybe you could try taking on freelance projects on the side to help rejuvenate yourself? take a risk!

i believe in following your heart, i believe that is what brought you to mf...your belief in yourself. you can use that courage to make a move in your professional life as well!

im sorry i am so long-winded, i just could hear myself in your post. just try not to get discouraged, you will find your way :D
Starting weight on Nov. 3, 2008: 220 | Present weight: 220 | Goal: 135
LeeannNH
Trusted Member

Postby BerkshireGrl » August 21st, 2005, 3:46 pm

Thank you all for all your wonderful support, advice and thoughts! :D

I need to 'fess up: I did not have a MF week. I went off plan Monday night after a terribly sad night at my parents, watching my mom suffering through creating two photo boards for her brother's funeral... crying... then visiting with her every night of the week, attending my uncle's funeral on Thursday, then cleaning out my uncle's house this weekend, and visiting my now-hospitalized grandmother (my mom's mother) Saturday, now that she has pneumonia. She had to go in right after the funeral, she was so sick. She has also decided, as of about 3-4 weeks ago, before my uncle got sick, to not eat anymore. All she consumes is "Boost" shakes, and no solid food and cannot be talked into eating. :( My family has decided that no extraordinary measures will be used to keep her going... so it is entirely up to her what she desires to do.

Adding to the stress for my poor mom is that my grandmother cannot retain the knowledge that her son is gone, and my mom has had to tell her repeatedly this past week. In the hospital, in 10 minutes, she told her 3 times... with my gram crying fresh tears every time. Then we wisely got the idea just not to mention my uncle or his house at all... Oi vey!

I caved to my old standby of eating, in trying to deal with my emotions. UGH!

However, on the brighter side of things ;) I lost weight. I am down 3.4 pounds from last Sunday's 218.6. :huh:

Of course, it would have probably have been 5+ pounds lost if I was on MF! :lol:

So, getting back on track tomorrow! I am going to get back in the groove, I know it. I decided not to waste my MF food going half-on/half-off, but to only go back on Plan when I was fully COMMITTED. And that will be tomorrow!

Thank you again for all your caring! :heart:
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby martha » August 21st, 2005, 7:43 pm

BERK--

Again I am so sorry aobut all that is going on in your life this week. I thought my life was hell but girl you Have me beat :shock: ..I surely have you added to my prayer list..I hope your grandma gets better too.It is so horrible for us to lose a loved one.. some people never recover..I will pray for all of you all this week..
You are doing great to stay sane doing all of this ..Stress is something I have never handled very well and if anything would help me to blow a program STRESS does.. you have handled it all very well and still lost weight :shock: WOW-- you go girl.. I look forward to you restarting tomorrow.. you will do great.. Have a very blessed week and hope to see less of you after all the drama stops..Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
267.5/189.5/130
martha

Postby Nancy » August 22nd, 2005, 12:11 am

Sarah ~

Gosh, here's a Medi :hug: for you.

I missed hearing from you and I was wondering how you were getting along this week after your Uncle's passing.
It must feel like you are walking through the :aarggh: fire this week and Melting Martha is in the deep waters.
I have been :angel: praying for the MakeMeThinner Forum people every day.

This afternoon I was talking to a friend of mine who is also going through a trial and I thanked her for being with me during a very dark time in my own life. I told her that it was not at all pleasant to experience that period of time and if anyone had every asked for volunteers to go through it;
it wouldn't be me who raised her hand, :yippee: jumped up and down yelling, "Pick me! Pick me!"
but now that it is a part of history,
I can say I am not bitter but better for having endured it.

When :lightbeam: skanky events come into our lives and :whip: test us, they can develop perseverance,
improve our :pet: compassion for others,
make us :weightlift: stronger and move us :drive: forward,
if we let them.

If trials are supposed to develop character,
there are a whole lotta characters around here, eh? :3head: :goofy: :3head: :nutz:

Okie dokie, Kids ~ let’s set up a tall :lightening: electric fence now,
post a :muahaha: “No trespasser” sign and keep Old Man Trouble outta our space! :lightsword:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby BerkshireGrl » August 22nd, 2005, 6:59 pm

Phew! End of Day One! :D

Thank you Martha & Nancy... you both are so nice! :yourock:

Yeah, building a wall to keep trouble out sounds GREAT!

I went out to dinner tonight... had tofu & greens & sparkling water! Wowie! What virtue! Heh! My two dinner companions had wine and scotch, duck, crab cakes, berry tart with ice cream, mango sorbet... I had, um, decaf for dessert with Splenda and a bit of cream ;)

Yes, I did feel a bit lighter as I left! :twisted:

I will get there! Oh yes, I will! Tomorrow is another day! :lol: No problemo my compadres!

Wave out to Tami in Mass! Welcome back, my NE buddy! :wave: You'll get that gain off in NO TIME!

Ok, off to bed - blech! :snooze:
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » August 22nd, 2005, 9:16 pm

:cleader: Berk!

You will soon be into the Fat Burnin' Zone and it will be downhill all the way!

You were a super :star: at supper tonight!

Did you feel like a naughty prisoner eating porridge in the corner of a dank room?

Good things come to those who temporarily delay self-gratification…they get skinny!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby martha » August 23rd, 2005, 1:12 am

BERK--

WOW :shock: :shock: You did SUPER on supper tonight(ha-ha) Keep up the GREAT work and you will be melting away in no time :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ..Look forward to seeing less of you this week :D ..Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
267.5/189.5/130
martha

Postby aimalasplace » August 24th, 2005, 12:48 am

I just wanted to say hi and welcome back,
I am sorry to hear about your uncle. I know what it's like to lose someone close in your family. I hope that you and your mom can get what you need to get through this. I feel for her- dealing with her mother in her condition too.
Going out to eat and watching other eat yummy food would drive me crazy even if I am followed the lean and green I would get the poor me's Until I am on this a bit longer- I don't want to put myself in that situation. Actually this Firday night my boyfriend and I got invited to a get together....I am thinking it's going to be alot of alcohol and food. I don't know if I can be in that situation yet- especially when I haven't met this group of friends yet.
I hope this week and the next get easier.
Aimeé
32 5'3"
230/230/199
Start 10/31/05

aimalasplace
Trusted Member

PreviousNext

Return to Come on in.