Confessions of a "Taster"

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Confessions of a "Taster"

Postby Diana » December 14th, 2006, 10:56 pm

Back in June or July, to prepare myself for what seemed an inevitable plateau (given the experience of countless others), I wrote a myself a plateau song.

The first 4+ months, I was stoically faithful to the 5&1 Plan. As a result, I felt better than I ever remember feeling in my life (no kidding, honest!), and I'd lost 60 lbs.

But on a fateful vacation in late July/early August, I strode defiantly away from the program.

Getting back on track resulted in 14 days in a row of migraines attacks (which also meant some high-powered medications every day for two straight weeks), a lessening of committment to my personal goal, and a whole bouquet of justifications for "tasting" stuff.

As a result, even though I've managed to lose just short of 30 more pounds (I hope to submit for admission to the 90# club on Sunday, but I've been saying that for a month), I feel like I've struggled. This used to be easy; it's been hard.

Here's the thing -- None of the slowed/fluctuating progress can be attributed to a plateau; I'm acutely aware that I've done this to myself.

And here's how: I've become a taster. Piece of chocolate here, a tablespoon (or more like 2) of mashed potatoes there, leave the croutons on please, oh just a small taste, thanks.

It adds up! Next thing I know, I'm out of the fat burning stage, not losing (or -- more frustrating -- gaining!), hungry, grumpy and craving. Not enough to feel REALLY bad about anything, just enough to get discouraged. I mean, I've got a perfectly good song waiting for an ACTUAL plateau and here I've gone and created my own! :dooh:

Instruction? I've got it! How much clearer can the Quick Start Guide be? And, heck, what about all the stuff to read here on line.

Support? Well, in addition to all of you wonderful folks, there's my dh, my ds, my mom, her dh, my best friend, her dh, 2 of my health care providers, and 6 friends from work (there are more ... but you get the idea).

Accountability? Ditto the above.

It all comes down to one simple question that folks like Dr. Anderson keep asking, "What do you want?" In other words, my motivation.

And here's what I've learned about motivation and change:
:mrgreen: External forces work in the short term, but internal loci are enduring.
:mrgreen: A desire to get away from a certain situation (uncomfortable, unhealthy, less attractive) will lead to dimished drive once there's a certain amount of relief
:mrgreen: A desire to move toward something is a more sustainable driving force
:mrgreen: I've got to have concrete, measureable goals backed up by a clear, executable plan.
:mrgreen: If I want it badly enough, nothing will stop me.

Bdg had a great suggestion on the Nurse's call just before Thanksgiving -- remember your vision; keep it always before you; write it down, put it in your pocket and take it with you. It sure simplifies that whole "What do you want?" question when I've got that note in one hand and a piece of fudge in the other. I know that I don't want to be another stymied taster; I want to be the diva my husband didn't know he married.
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Re: Confessions of a "Taster"

Postby bikipatra » December 15th, 2006, 12:26 am

Diana wrote: I want to be the diva my husband didn't know he married.

Oh, me too!!!! :thumbig:
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » December 15th, 2006, 1:58 pm

A wonderful post, Diana, on motivation and focusing on what is most important to us, as we advance toward our goals. Being healthier and feeling great have an added, although not as important in my scheme of life, benefit, of looking better and like we take good care of our bodies, too. I will take good health, anyday. The rest follow anyway. Thanks for your inspiration, Diana. :D
Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 15th, 2006, 2:34 pm

I Love it when Joan pipes in, she always says what I'm trying to!

DeDe
dede4wd

Re: Confessions of a "Taster"

Postby bdg » December 15th, 2006, 10:45 pm

Diana wrote:Bdg had a great suggestion on the Nurse's call just before Thanksgiving -- remember your vision; keep it always before you; write it down, put it in your pocket and take it with you.
Glad I could be of service! You keep up with what you said and you will get there in no time! Everything you stated is so true!
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Postby ascicles » December 16th, 2006, 2:05 pm

I went on vacation in October and have yet to get completely back on track. I haven't gained any weight, but I haven't really lost any either. I'm starting completely over at the beginning of the year.

The main thing that affected me was the new job, and not being able to eat in the proper intervals.

Oh well.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby DogMa » December 16th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Glad to see you back, Manly. I'd offer you support for getting back on track, but I know better.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 16th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Good to see you popping your head in Mr McMuscles! Hope to hear more from you soon! Enjoy the new job!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby Mike » December 16th, 2006, 9:51 pm

ascicles wrote:I went on vacation in October and have yet to get completely back on track. I haven't gained any weight, but I haven't really lost any either. I'm starting completely over at the beginning of the year.

The main thing that affected me was the new job, and not being able to eat in the proper intervals.

Oh well.

After I got off of the floor (from falling out of my chair), I was happy to see another "dude" back on. Glad your back my man.
:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » December 18th, 2006, 11:46 am

Thank you for this this post Diana! I didn't get on the forum all weekend, so I read this post just at the right time! I must confess to my little nibbles and tastes this weekend.... :roll: As a result I didn't post my progress on rollcall. (Running away from accountability is not a good sign!)

This post just poked some sense into me and reminded me of my committment to achieving my goal. :poke:

Thanks again!!

Oh, and it's good to see ya back Manly!!
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Diana » December 21st, 2006, 10:44 pm

Glad my ramblings have served the better good, Kanani! Here's to a fit and healthy holiday season!! :buddies:
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana

Return to The Weight Room