Checking in from Maintenanceland...

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Checking in from Maintenanceland...

Postby Lauren » June 29th, 2007, 11:20 am

Good afternoon, gang! Well, I haven't been able to post as much as I'd like in the last week or two as things at work have been really busy - it's the end of the quarter, always a time when it's major nose to the grindstone!

All is going beautifully in maintenanceland for me - hope it is for the rest of you lovelies as well!

I am continuing to run nearly every morning, or if for some reason, any part of me hurts or doesn't want to run (I don't believe in "pushing through the pain," it's the quickest way to ruin this whole experience!), I do some other cardio, like elliptical, and continue to also do weight-training 3+ times a week. The running has truly become the new addiction - finally a healthy one! Each week I try to "press" my distance, as well as the speed I reach it, and I am in the 7-mile land now, for my "long" run, which is just amazing to me. Standard days' runs can generally vary in length, but are hovering in the 5.5 -6 mile range. The only negative is that I am starting to have to wake up EVEN EARLIER to accomodate the longer runs! I am picking up speed each time too, which is so cool, since I remember the day in the not so distant past that I couldn't even walk a mile. Now when I have to run errands and I know they're a couple miles away, I don't even question that I'll walk them! You can't imagine how that has affected my quality of life (and saved major $$ on taxis!).

Life is great, it's a pleasure to not be hot during these last few hot, hazy, and humid days in NYC, and to be able to wear cute dresses and sandals or skinny jeans and other fun cute clothes which I never was able to wear - look, I'm about 5'9", so cute is not generally part of my vocabulary, but my clothes are now so much, well, smaller, so I could almost say cute! How bizarre. Sorry, tangent...

Food is going well, and I have strangely figured out the whole maintaining thing. I generally stay within the same 2-3 pounds week after week. I weigh every morning before anything else, and the fluctuations that can occur from salt, exercise, whatever, don't stress me out, as long as I continue to stay several pounds below my "goal" weight, which I do. So, basically, I am just really comfortable.

Here's something I want to mention. People think I must not worry anymore about my weight or gaining. I think about it all the time. But in a good and positive way. I believe that if we allow ourselves to think we've got it figured out and we get complacent, that is when we'll begin to gain again. So I am constantly on a road of awareness, I ponder every item I put in my mouth, and I absolutely still fear gaining all the weight back overnight. But this fear keeps me vigilant, keeps me strong, and keeps me maintaining. People think the fear is a burden - I think it's a lifesaver. The only thing I fear more is the day I stop worrying, because that's the day I'd start gaining.

Diligence. Vigilance. Maintenance.

Works for me!

Cheers -

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Re: Checking in from Maintenanceland...

Postby Sojourner » June 29th, 2007, 4:46 pm

Lauren wrote:...so I could almost say cute!

WHATever.

Girl, you need to own your "cute."
In fact, don't just own it, ROCK it!
:bananadance:
Here, I'll get you started:
Lauren is a beautiful,
hot, amazing athlete who exudes "cute."
It's SO true.

I really envy you, and other MFers (Robin, SuzyQ, Lizabette, Karli, Hol, Queenie, etc.), y'all's ability to be so physical. I really miss those all-out exercise sessions. I do what I can with my limitations, but there's nothing like pushing your physicality to the limit...trembling muscles and lots of purifying sweat. Ahhhhhhhhh. Lucky you!

Congrats on the awesome long-range runs. Seven miles is suh-weet! Your attitude and mindset are inspiring and will be (have been) SO beneficial to you in the long run. LOL, get it...long run? :roll: :lol:

Thanks for the update, cutie!

(Edited to include Queenie in the list o'athletes, 'cause she's awesome!)
Last edited by Sojourner on June 29th, 2007, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~*~*~*Sojourner*~*~*~

Shake it gone, babeee!!!
Sojourner
Preferred member

Re: Checking in from Maintenanceland...

Postby nickieluv » June 29th, 2007, 5:46 pm

Lauren wrote:People think the fear is a burden - I think it's a lifesaver. The only thing I fear more is the day I stop worrying, because that's the day I'd start gaining.

You and Robin today have had great posts for me. Yes, I thought that worry would be a burden, because when losing weight it always seems like such a hassle to watch every little bite that passes your lips. That's why I think I've finally had success here with MF, because you just eat what you're supposed to eat. But maybe that's not so good for me to get used to that. I don't know. My point is - by being afraid that for the rest of my life I'll have to watch what I eat, I'm forgetting that I spent most of my past being afraid of so much more on a daily basis. Much better to have to watch what you eat all the time, instead of being afraid that your clothes make you look fatter than you actually are, that people are talking about you behind your back because of your weight, that you are walking a tightrope between health and disease, that you can't even make love to your husband without feeling like you're having a heart attack. If I could take all that away and be thin tomorrow, and all I had to agree to was to walk to work every day and watch what I eat - hell yeah, I'd take that deal.
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby holberry » June 30th, 2007, 9:33 am

Hi cutie!!
(now you are getting the cutes from everywhere,!)

Ok, I'll fess up, you are my inspiration! I wanna be just like you :heart:
Your positive, healthy attitude oozes from the page girlie!

Ok enough adulation, dont want to embarass myself :shock: :shock:

But I wrote down your mantra, diligence, vigilance, maintenace. great,
and thanks!
hol
holberry
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Lizabette » July 4th, 2007, 6:43 am

LAUREN,
Glad I came to Maintenance to find you again!
Your inspiring post uplifted me and rings so true with how we survive in maintenance land.
So much better here than in that other place.
BTW, HAPPY FOURTH!
Thanks,:heart:
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Lauren » July 6th, 2007, 7:56 am

Thanks to all you lovely ladies for the "cute" compliments, they're so appreciated, because we all need a boost some days, right?!

Sojo, you are too awesome! Yes, pushing to the max and sweating it out certainly is empowering and you feel great afterwards to boot. I know you have some issues (back or shoulder, right?), but perhaps you could work with a personal trainer to find activities (like swimming) that you could go all out without feeling pain or doing any increased damage? Swimming is the general "go to" sport for any injured folks, so you really may want to look into that...

Nickie, I am so pleased the post came at a good time for you, and perhaps gave you a different view of the long-term prospects for healthy eating and maintenance. Yeah, it's a struggle, but life is WAY more difficult being fat. I promise! Besides, life's struggles are what give us character, what make us compassionate, empathetic, and strong. Granted, we don't want too much struggle (hence, losing the weight), but a little food watching won't kill us! :-)

Holberry, you are too sweet. We all find inspiration in different things, people, events, and if there's any role I can or have played in your finding success, I am thrilled for it! Keep on rocking, you're doing awesome!

Yes, Liz, that OTHER place was an ugly place, which I choose not to visit again anytime soon! :-) I had a lovely 4th, hope you did too!

Cheers to you all for your strength and perseverence. You can choose to be your own worst enemy or your own best friend - and we can all use another good friend...

Lauren
Lauren

Postby holberry » July 6th, 2007, 8:04 am

Yes indeed Lauren, you are inspiring. I was reading some of your early journals yesterday to see how your loss journey went.
I love your positive spirit. It's infectious and the only way for me to go.
Thanks for popping in.
you bet, rock on
hol
holberry
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby queenielou » July 6th, 2007, 12:23 pm

Hi Lauren,

I completely missed your post from last week. 7 miles is quite amazing. I had a huge celebration over finishing 2 miles. Baby steps, right? :) You have accomplished so much and it's great to read about how committed you are.

Thanks for the inspiration, cutie :)
Start: 4/21/2007
queenielou
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Lauren » July 6th, 2007, 1:48 pm

You guys are too funny!

So, Holberry, you read my old posts? I haven't even done that! :-) Hope I wasn't too boring, I started around the holidays of 2005 and the board was often quiet, so Jo, Hype, and I just tended to go back and forth for days! :-) Thanks for the comments towards my positive spirit. It isn't one of those fake things that I do to come off sounding sweet (I'm actually not "sweet" in that way), it's just I'm an optimist/idealist. I really believe that in life if we work hard, and be kind to ourselves and others, good things will come. I believe we impact how good or bad each day will be by our attitude, and it certainly seems a better choice to go with "good" on each day! ha So, while of course crappy things happen to me or to those I love, I think it's the way we deal with and handle and process the crappiness that defines our character, and more importantly, enables us to see the silver lining vs being miserable. I've always seen the silver lining, even when things were pretty bleak. I've always envisioned myself to one day be normal/thin, to have a great home, great family, great career. I never questioned that that day would come. I guess I'm lucky like that, I have dreams and I really truly believe that they'll come true. Is it naive? I don't know. But it works for me! What I can say is that in the last couple years I've independently bought my own Manhattan apartment, quit smoking, and lost over 165 pounds. And if that doesn't scream "dreams can come true," I don't know what does! :-)

So, it thrills me that you are motivated by any of this, and while I love to be encouraging in a kind way, I can also be a big proponent of "tough love," so let me know if you ever need a swift kick in the derriere! ha!

Queenie, you are doing awesome too, and 2 miles is fantastic! You will be AMAZED at how quickly your speed and distance improves each week. I've never seen any activity where practice leads to such fast improvements! Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll be at 3 miles before you know it!

Ciao, girls!

Lauren
Lauren

Return to Maintenance