Any other food addicts trying this program?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Any other food addicts trying this program?

Postby need2succeed » June 17th, 2004, 8:17 am

I am a food addict, and as such, I gained 60 pounds in less than a year after 4 or so years of yo-yoing back and forth. I'm really nervous and yet so excited about the Medifast program-which I truly feel is my last and only hope. I'd like to know if there are other food addicts out there who have found peace and success on this program? And also, how was it for you transitioning into maintenance?
need2succeed
Regular Member - #50 Club

Postby Carrie » June 17th, 2004, 8:30 am

Well, I'd have to say that, in varying degrees, everyone here is probably a food addict - or at least we've certainly used food in ways we shouldn't. That's why we're here - we're trying to STOP.

I can't speak for maintenance - I'm not there yet, but this is my 16th week of Medifasting and persistence is the key. I have days where I never even THINK of eating anything other than Medifast - those are the GREAT days - enjoy them. I have days where I am hounded by thoughts of eating, and make it through without giving in. I have had a few days when I gave in, and had to accept responsibility for my CHOICE of going off the program and then getting right back on it.

It's a learning process. And it takes awhile to change old, ingrained habits. But if you keep working at it, you can do it. And once you get some positive reinforcement, ie, clothing getting looser, people commenting - it begins to build up your self-esteem and helps you stay the course.

There is no magic potion or pill, we all have to work through this in our ways, at our own paces, but we are succeeding.

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby need2succeed » June 17th, 2004, 8:35 am

Thank you for your encouragement! :-P My goal is to stay on the program for at least 16 weeks as well.
need2succeed

Postby Echo » June 17th, 2004, 9:12 am

Congratulations on deciding to take back your health and your life. MF isn't for everyone but so many people who have tried and failed other programs have succeeded with MF. It's not easy, it takes discipline and perseverence but it's worth it. Stick with it, drink lots of water and you will be minus that extra weight in no time :)
Echo
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Alison » June 17th, 2004, 10:06 am

Hi
I definately consider myself a food addict. My situation is similar to yours in that I have been a chronic yo-yo dieter. MF is a God send for me. I am not into maintainance yet but I can say for the last 12 weeks I have stuck to the program. I have never lasted on any diet program for that period of time without seriously abusing it. I did nutri system over a decade ago and found myself eating my weeks supply of food in 2 days and then starving myself until my next weeks supply came!! Just sprending out the shakes everyday 2-3 hours between and not subsisting on just snicker bars or whatever is a big accomplishment. I guess I am a binge eater as well. MF also gave me the courage to join Overeaters Anonymous which I had been contemplating for several years. Good luck I can honestly say I am more happy with my sense of control then even my weightloss!! (though that is a definate plus)!!
ALison
Alison
Regular Member - #30 Club

Postby need2succeed » June 17th, 2004, 11:25 am

Wow, that is definately great to know. Great job! I was kind of worried because I know my history as a yo-yo dieter and it has made me lose a lot of confidence in my willpower. Keep up the good work :-)
need2succeed

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » June 17th, 2004, 11:28 am

I'll confess to being a food abuser. I've used it for the wrong reasons as a reward system and a comfort medication. :question:

From my early 20s to just a few years ago (now in the 40s), I ate only 1 meal a day as a way to keep my figure. Despite everyone telling me how bad it was, I thought it was my formula for looking great regardless of the fact that this left me with a metabolism of a sloth. :brickwall:

However, when my brother died suddenly in my 20s, and when mom died of brain cancer too soon in my 30's, I gained 30 to 40lbs eating out of comfort lots of carbohydrated foods. I simply starved each time until it came off. :dooh:

Just a few years ago Dad died and I again comforted myself with food but THIS time I didn't have the motivation to take it off or to stop comforting myself. It seemed I was hopelessly addicted to carbohydrates and eating all day! :bib: :eat: :hammerhead:

Seeing medifast commercials I realized that I had to get off food completely like a drug addict has to get off of drugs completely to break the addiction. Eating every three hours has jumpstarted my metabolism again and taught me how important it is to fuel your body when it needs it. :yippee:

I used to get away with abusing my body and food when I was younger. But, now I realize that if I keep that up, I'm going to REALLY pay for it in my 60s and later years with ailing health. I feel like Medifast is a great last chance to get it right. :yes:

Keeping my grip,
Camille :weightlift:
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby explorthis » June 17th, 2004, 11:48 am

And also, how was it for you transitioning into maintenance?

I am not sure I ever qualified as an “addict” I have been Obese for probably 85% of my life, up until 5+ months ago, 100% of my adult life. I never did obsess over food, or a specific food item but I liked to eat. And I did eat obviously more than my share probably every time I ate, thus my substantial weight.

I am not going deep into maintenance at this point; again I will delve into it deeper at a later date. I can tell you this, once maintenance is to begin, there will be new fun things to learn about food, and about yourself. You need to teach yourself how to eat, and what to eat. 5+ months, I still rationalize every bite of food I take in. It is getting easier. I know what affects me, and what does not. I do still have the “eyes bigger than the stomach” syndrome, thinking a regular portion is not enough, though my stomach proves me wrong after every meal.

The real cool thing about maintenance is now that I am at a manageable weight, maintenance is pretty easy. I know how I lost the weight, I know how hard it was, and I know everything your feeling. I know that now I conscientiously WANT to analyze everything I eat. What else in my day to day life will keep me on the straight and narrow? I like this, it is actually fun.

Lastly, food addict or not, remember this, everything you are temporarily giving up, to get to your new weight will be waiting when you get there. It is ALL still there, behind door #1 I like choosing door#2 now, and so will you!

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Lois » June 20th, 2004, 3:20 pm

Hi everyone!

Yes...I am a compulsive eater and food addict...have been for as long as I can remember.

Even when I lost weight in the past, I have never had the compulsive aspect of things under control...compusive eating, compulsive dieting, compulsive exercising, compulsive THINKING about food....I am ready to deal with this for REAL, for GOOD.

MF is part of my recovery plan. I have been on the "full fast" for almost three weeks and I feel GREAT 8) OA (Overeaters Anonymous) is also part of my recovery plan. I'm too deep in my addiction to go it alone, and the support of OA meetings, literature, sponsorship, the 12 steps, etc. are really helping me get to the root of my issues and deal with them one by one.

By God's grace I'm gonna lose this weigh once and for all, and keep it off..one day at a time.

blessings,

Lois
Lois

Postby need2succeed » June 20th, 2004, 7:10 pm

I'm about to look for the nearest OA center. Thanks!
need2succeed

Postby Lois » June 21st, 2004, 3:46 pm

The cool thing 8) is that OA is NOT a diet club or weight loss program, so you can do MF without any "conflict of interest".

They've got a great website, and there are meetings all over the world. Living in Phila, I could go to a meeting every day if I wanted to!!!!! Even the more rural areas/small towns will have at least one meeting happening in the vicinity.

GOOD LUCK!!!! ;) And if you ever want to chat further, just send me a private message or an email....

hugs,

Lois
Lois

Postby MomJackieLee » June 21st, 2004, 4:51 pm

As someone who has used food as a my "drug of choice" for many years, I also have to say that MF has been a Godsend. I am a therapist who works with people with problems every day - some of these people turn to drugs & alcohol. The hardest thing for someone with a food addiction (like me) is that you never really get away from food - it's always there. (We don't put an alcoholic in the middle of the liquor store constantly after detox and say "you can only have the OJ in the cooler but ignore all this alcohol around you that you are craving" do we?) But people with food addictions are subjected to something similar day after day. This is not to be taken as an an excuse, just a different way of looking at this thing people without food addictions call "willpower".

MF has given me a way to "detox" from the horrible things I was putting into my body for so many years (mostly sugar and fat...) and get myself used to using food as what it was meant to be - a fuel for my body. My focus has been totally OFF of food and on the healthy changes I'm making for my body and for my life while on MF. On other plans it was always "points" of this or that, but not too much... For me starting to eat a little bit of something usually ends up in a binge. It's easier to not deal with it for now and I'm able to focus on making all around healthy life changes right now. Thanks to Nancy for this great forum!!! :toast:
MomJackieLee
246/222/160
MomJackieLee
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby wreathlady » July 2nd, 2004, 2:42 pm

Hi,

I'm definitely a food addict, binging just about everyday. I have gained about 30 pounds in the last 3-4 months. I'm trying to transfer my addiction to food to an addiction to working this plan including visiting this web site, drinking my supplements when I should, eating my lean and green meal, drinking water, walking, etc. I'm not giving up on this program.

Wreathlady
wreathlady

As a true food addict

Postby Guest » July 3rd, 2004, 7:03 am

I cannot believe how easy this program is! I hate drinking water but I force myself to down at least 64 ounces a day and maybe that's the reason why I have not been hungry or tempted in the least bit. I've actually prepared food for others without taking not even a tiny piece. I've never been this focused before. Maybe I'm just resolved to working the program to get to my goal weight. I must admit I am worried about how it will be transitioning back to food but that is months away. I am just so grateful to have found this program. My last hope!

Any lurkers out there thinking about trying the program--I say go for it! I can't speak much for the modified plan but doing the full fast is a breeze. You just have to be absolutely serious about it unless you want to yo yo and get even bigger.

Return to Weight Loss