Another New Year's Newbie

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Another New Year's Newbie

Postby 24KaratGold » January 3rd, 2005, 9:43 am

Well, it IS that time of year and all....

Hi. I've been lurking on your board for a couple of weeks now, and at Christmastime I decided to give Medifast a try, so here I am, on my first day.

My best girl friend started Medifast at the end of August, weighing a little over 300 pounds (and she's shorter than I am, something like 5' 3" or thereabouts). As of Christmas, she had lost 70 pounds, and she looks great! She has another 100 to lose, she says. So, she was my inspiration.

I've been heavy all my life, although I'd kill to be as "overweight" as I thought I was in college. I'm 5' 9 1/2" tall, and in college I weighed 202. Last night I weighed in at 269.5, which is just six pounds shy of the most I've ever weighed. I'm a "mood" eater, and it's been a lousy year, so I've gained 35 pounds this year.

I know that when I try I can lose weight. When I hit that highest point, nearly 17 years ago, it was after the deaths of both my parents and the birth of my first son. I knew I wanted to have another baby, and I didn't want to hit 300, so I went to Weight Watchers back then and lost 62 pounds. And then got pregnant. And again. And again. And here I am! LOL.

I'm not sure what my realistic goals are. Part of me would love to lose 100 pounds; I'd be quite thrilled at 169 or so. But to be honest, I've never been able to "break" that 200 pound mark since I've been an adult. I've come within a few pounds of it, and then didn't get any further. So I'll jump for joy and consider it a major, major victory if I can get below 200 (my driver's license says 197 -- I'll take it!) this year.

My doctor gave me a prescription for Meridia, which is supposed to help prevent hunger pangs. I thought I'd use if for the first week or so here, until I'm adjusted to the Medifast plan (I'm doing 5 and 1). I'm pretty sure I can do this, because I have been able to do things like WW for six months or so at a time. But I haven't been able to stay with it for more than that, because at that point it seems like too much work for a pound a week or less. I'm hoping that with the significant results I've seen with my friend in such a short time I'll also see significant results that will keep me motivated.

I need the buddy system, though, and you all seem like friendly people. So thanks for being here, and here's to a New Year's Day 2006 that sees us all healthier and slimmer.
24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Hi 24

Postby Kim » January 3rd, 2005, 10:05 am

Welcome to the board and to MF. I'm a "restart" as of yesterday. I did MF for about a month in Oct of last year and then let life get me off track. I hope that you will have a good experience - I can tell you that this plan works when you do it. I tried Meridia at one point and it didn't really do anything for me - but I also had a hard time with the Weight Watchers things as well.

Check in frequently and let everyone know how you are doing!
2/25/05 Start Date
170/165/125 (by 6/1/05)
5'3"
Kim

Postby msmac0905 » January 6th, 2005, 11:33 am

Hello and welcome from yet another New Year's newbie!! It's actually my fourth day today and it hasn't been too bad. Here's wishing you much success on your journey! We can do this!! Happy Shakin'!! :D
201.5 12/31/2004 (2 days before beginning MF)
msmac0905

Postby 24KaratGold » January 6th, 2005, 12:09 pm

Day 4 for me, too. I managed better through the first three than I had expected -- wasn't hungry at all, except last night when dinner didn't get to the table until nearly 8 p.m., due to the kids' karate lessons and other stuff happening. But we were ALL hungry at that point! Rereading some things here I think I blew it by having too much tomato on my salad, but I can live with that and now I know better for next time. And given how hungry I was, I'm thrilled that if I had to "blow" it, it was with a couple extra cherry tomatos and not anything else.

I hate the first week of trying to lose weight; it's all the pain and nothing to point to yet to show that it's worth it. The second week is good, because you can revel in the success of the first week and KNOW that it's working. I'm looking forward to weighing in on Sunday night (I don't have a working scale, so am going to a friend's house on Sunday nights and weighing in on hers. I might break down and buy a new scale, though I think it's not a bad thing not to be jumping on it all the time, and I know I would be).

Y'know, after reading so much on this board, and watching my friend who has lost so much weight so fast doing the 5 and 1, I actually believe for the first time in my adult life that I might get below 200 pounds. I never really believed it before, even when I got so close twice with WW (within ten pounds), but now I think it could really happen.

So, msmac, we're on the same schedule, and it's nice to meet you! We can be buddies, and "nudge" each other along. Good luck!
24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby explorthis » January 6th, 2005, 12:25 pm

I hate the first week of trying to lose weight….The second week is good…. KNOW that it's working.

Well, be ready, a you progress, and actually see and feel a difference, it gets better, but wait there’s more, soon as one person notices, and then another, and another, your head starts getting bigger, and bigger, it really becomes “gotta do it” because you are seeing the progress. It works….. and it gets fun. Me losing weight? Me? WOW.

I might get below 200 pounds…. but now I think it could really happen.

Ok, no more “thinking” (not chastising your thoughts here) now we are D-O-I-N-G it, not thinking we are doing it. I promise you everything I own, and trust me, I have been on both sides of the fence, that you WILL SUCCEED at this, with just a small bit of brain manipulation on your part. You will fall below 200, then 190,180, 170 before you know it, it will be the NEW YOU….

Trust me, thin is fun!

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby msmac0905 » January 6th, 2005, 4:20 pm

Hey 24K!!
So, msmac, we're on the same schedule, and it's nice to meet you! We can be buddies, and "nudge" each other along. Good luck

Sounds good to me buddy!!! Please feel free to nudge at any point!! I could use it.
I broke down a purchased a scale from Ebay. I was scolded for not stopping by the local Wal-mart and purchasing one for cheaper and w/instant gratification! :oops: I'm not sure if it will make it here before Sunday weigh-in though. If not, it's off to my local rec facility to use theirs.

Good luck to us both even though we don't need it as we have the good Lord and MF!! :hi5:

Also thank you Mike. I have ready MANY of your posts and they are truly inspirational.

Bye-Bye 200's
Don't blink 190's, or you'll miss me!!
201.5 12/31/2004 (2 days before beginning MF)
msmac0905

Return to Come on in.