I Wondered About Calories, Carbs etc During Maintenance

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

I Wondered About Calories, Carbs etc During Maintenance

Postby loriannk » July 24th, 2006, 11:35 am

I asked the nutritionist at mymedifast dot com and this is what I was told:

Maintenance varies from person to person. Some individuals may maintain at 1500 calories while others may need more or less calories. We recommend aiming for 1500 calories for a least a month following the transition program. Fat intake for the one month following is about 45-50 grams, carbohydrates is about 140-155 grams, and protein is about 125-135 grams. This may vary depending on choices.

I just thought some of us that are getting close to transition and maintenance would like to know this.
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Prancer » July 24th, 2006, 11:44 am

Lori if you are using mymedifastdotcom can you see what your calories are daily to maintain? It gives you that amount that you need just to live for the day...is that close to the 1500?

I am NO where near maintenance but I am curious.
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby loriannk » July 24th, 2006, 11:57 am

They have the womens weight loss plan and then they have the womens transition plan. It doesnt have anything that I can see for maintenance. Just the two plans to choose from. That is why I asked the nutritionist for the info on calories, fat, carbs and protein.
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk

Postby Sarya » July 24th, 2006, 1:24 pm

Lori I think Jenn means the number over on the left in Daily Calorie Balance. Mine is 2043 currently. Supposedly that should mean that if I eat 2043 calories a day I should maintain my current weight. I wonder if it really works that way though.
Sarya

Postby Serendipity » July 24th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Wow, Loriann, that's alot of carbs and alot of protein! At this point, I can't even imagine having that much food in a day, lol.

I don't know about you, but I'm gonna be sooooooo careful about adding alot of stuff to my diet. I think I'm going to stay with my keep it simple attitude that I've used throughout this diet. It has worked so far. I'll eat alot of veggies and protein......and I'm trying to learn about balanced eating instead of just eating what's there at the moment......lots of planning so that I don't get stuck without the right foods.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby DogMa » July 24th, 2006, 2:27 pm

Yeah, I'm figuring I'll eat pretty much the way I've BEEN eating, but maybe have two L&Gs a day instead of one. And then plan on occasional treats or off-plan days.

And of course, keep up with my workouts. If I eat pizza, I'm going to have to pay for it at the gym!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby loriannk » July 24th, 2006, 3:06 pm

Since MF doesnt say anything about maintenance itself just what to eat in transition I thought I would ask. I too am surprised at the values she/he? gave me. I dont plan on pigging out again but I kind of wanted some guidelines to follow.

mymedifast tells me 1818 to sustain my weight. Sorry I didnt understand what Jen was asking.
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk

Postby DogMa » July 24th, 2006, 4:53 pm

I used to use fitday for that, but it's not very accurate. A lot depends on your own metabolism (and I'm sure a host of other factors).

I'm guessing that to some extent, we just have to find our own way once we're past transition. If you're still losing, add calories. If you're gaining, lose some calories. Much like Atkins maintenance, where he said you have to find your own Critical Carbohydrate Level, defined as the amount of carbs you can eat while maintaining your weight. Everyone's is different.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 26th, 2006, 10:01 am

I'm with Jo and Robin,
I'm going to be SO careful. I'm going to add stuff SLOWLY and see how it affects my weight, then stop adding when I start gaining.

I will have some pasta every once in a while or whatever, but I need to be ever-so-vigilent, so I don't pork back up. I wish there was a printout what to eat each meal and when for maintenance! I need the structure!

I don't see myself eating that much fat or carbs for instance, but I'm just going to try to keep an eye on it, use my diagnostic pants and do everything I can!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Prancer » July 26th, 2006, 10:33 am

Diagnostic pants???? That is so funny.

I think Dede's way sounds like it would work. Add things in and keep track of where you are. If you see your weight go up then you know you added too much.
Prancer

Postby KimKim » August 11th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Everyone has said that keeping a food diary is of the utmost of importance. For example, sometimes I figure out what Medifast product to have next based on how I log my food in and what it tells me. I have been convinced not to have soy crisps sometimes because of this.

Overall, I plan on maintaining the lean and green (i'm far from maintenance but I think about it all the time) but like Robin, will definitely do that twice. I am also extremely clear now what I will be doing if I choose to have that dessert, that fast food or that slow cooked burger and fries or that pizza or that fudge brownie sunday. I know I will have to pay for it and I've decided, for myself, that an indulgence like that should only happen once per week, if that. Any indulgence.

I'm just thankful for the greater understanding of portion and calorie count. And even though it will cost ever so slightly more, I will purchase the 100-calorie pack snacks from the stores, so that I don't have a chip or cookie breakdown when I want some chips or cookies.

I look forward to alot of the healthy foods I ate beforehand (along with the junk, which is why I wasn't losing) and will cherish them. I will love my shredded wheat, appreciate the hummus, celebrate the weight-control banana nut oatmeal and do backflips with the slim-a-bear fudgesicles and popsicles.

I will have my treats but I will keep perspective and know that even a walk will help me out with my maintenance, whereas before if I did not get in a heavy duty workout, I would do nothing at all ;-( <<sigh>>

We learn,

Kim
KimKim
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Return to Maintenance