When are your most difficult times?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

When are your most difficult times?

Postby ljm498 » January 11th, 2006, 5:01 am

Ok, I'm struggling to get my tail in gear again. But, TODAY, I am doing this for good and getting the rest of this OFF OF ME!! I thought it would be helpful if we all talked about when the toughest times are for us. I know sometimes it seems like it's just tough all the time. But I know, for me anyway, that there are times when it just seems like I give myself permission to stray for one reason or another. Or for those of you who haven't strayed, what tempts you to the most? What's that reason for you all and how do you cope?

For me, (and sorry if I share a wee bit too much here, especially to the gentlemen here) I know the week just before I ovulate my body lets go of absolutely NOTHING. Lately this bums me out so it's like I say, well, I'm not going to lose anything anyway so why not eat a little something. I think this week is the toughest time for me. I guess anytime I even suspect a plateau I want to cave. Ok, after re-reading this I realize I may be whining and just need to get myself over this! I know this program works and I need to stop being such a big BABY. So, I guess for me, coming here to this forum is how I am coping. Getting this off of my chest and seeing it in actual words, not just spinning in my head. Hmmm.

So, what about you guys, what are your toughest times and how do you cope?
Last edited by ljm498 on January 11th, 2006, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby ktrout » January 11th, 2006, 5:49 am

My absolute hardest time is late afternoon after I get home from work and before dinner. If I don't either eat something or get out of the kitchen I'll graze in the pantry or stare at the open fridge. I cope by staying out of the kitchen and hide in my workshop or den. In another couple weeks when I can start exercising, I plan on walking every afternoon when I get home.
313/228/200

1-1-2006 Start Date
7/15/2007 ReStart Date
ktrout
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby mama2benandrachel » January 11th, 2006, 8:01 am

Thanks SOooo much for starting this subject Lynne! I am right there living the dream (or nightmare) with you! I went on a downward spiral during Thanksgiving. I got back on track for a bit, but then the weekend before Christmas, it was down hill all the way!!

I'm on day three of my restart, but once you slip, it is so hard not to go off the deep end!!!!!! Last night, the stress to eat was so overbearing!!! I did not cave!!!!!

My hardest times right now are after work. I am 150% compliant at work. When I get home, I have to take off my techie, IS Help Desk Mgr hat and put on my Mama and Wify hats and it just seems like EVERYTHING from the dog to the kids, to the husband want a piece of me!!!!!! THEN, I have to prepare food for them too!!!! UGHHH!!!!!!

I have been really successful by cooking things ahead on Sundays and then just nuking them in the microwave, during the week. That keeps my kitchen time down to a minimum!

We can do this people!!!!!!!!
Take care and God Bless,
Judy <><

1st MF start: 9/9/2005
1st restart: 10/16/2006
2nd restart: 9/9/2007

mama2benandrachel
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby aphrael » January 11th, 2006, 10:42 am

For me the hardest times I have is weekends. Durring the week it is "easier" to just make another suppliment than deal with trying to decide what to have for dinner. Weekends are when we have all our social time with family and friends. My down fall when I was following Medifast last summer and fall was I would be going great but than something would come up unexpectaly. Like say I have my lean and green for lunch than a friend we haven't seen for a while shows up in the area and only has "so much time" and wants us to meet them for dinner. So my options are to not go and not see them, or to go off plan and have another non medifast meal. Than there are the times that there is just so much going on, and while I am trying to redirect my life so everything doesn't revolve around food, my family and friends are not doing that. Their social time always involves food and are not interested in changing that. That leaves me with the choice of constantly putting myself in the way of temptation, or becomming a hermit. Great choices hu? I admit I tend to become very bitter that while people aren't presuring me to eat, I have to go sit and watch them all eat and drink and have a good time while I drink my diet soda or water. I know it is only temporary, but that doesn't make me feel any better. It isn't all the time, but when those feelings hit it is sooo hard not to cave.

That is my toughest time. Finding ways to socialize with family and friends that still want to have food as the center piece of the event.
Aphrael

Due Nov. 16th
aphrael
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Lauren » January 11th, 2006, 11:30 am

My toughest times are also on the weekends. I agree that the lack of structure for the weekends is what makes it so difficult. But I have figured out a process that works best for me: during the work week, I eat my one L&G for lunch (usually around 2:00), and have MF the rest of the morning and evening. It breaks up the day better for me, and keeps my brain at its best for work. But on the weekends, I know I'll have plans with friends for dinner and stuff, so I always save my L&G for dinner time, and MF throughout the day. This way, even if I don't have confirmed plans or reservations at the start of the day, I don't "waste" my one fun meal during the day.

I find the desire to "graze" is greatest at night and on the weekends. I am trying to be more active and get out of the apartment when that happens.

Also, ever since I was told we should have our first MF within an hour of waking up, I am finding I am a bit hungrier throughout the day and evening. I used to wake up early, but not have my shake until I settled in at work, sometimes 1-2 hours later. This pushed back all of my meals, which I found easier. But I have adjusted, and now drink my first shake within 20 minutes of waking up. I know it's better for the diet, but it makes my last shake earlier in the evening! :-(

Oh well!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby ljm498 » January 11th, 2006, 12:11 pm

I have to say that I agree completely with you guys that the afternoon/evening time is rough. And weekends too. Particularly Sunday for me as my Mom cooks a Sunday dinner. I hear what you're saying about the weekends not being so structured. That's a problem for me as well. Saturday isn't an issue for me because that's the morning the husband gets to sleep in and I get up at my usual time with my son. But Sundays I get to sleep in and that throws me off a bit and then the whole dinner thing with those temptations. I guess to make sure there is ALWAYS a plan in place, always be prepared (if at all possible). That won't kill all temptation but, I think it will help with unexpected circumstances I guess. I think the key is empowering ourselves to have an "answer" to just about every situation. I know that's impossible in some situations, but just to have the plan firmly in place. Plan ahead etc.
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
ljm498

Postby Gwenski » January 11th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Perfect Post Lynne!!

Weekdays are good but too much cough potato time and my mind starts to wonder a little. I start pounding water and stay away from the kitchen. Even been known to go to bed and read to stay away from the commercials which are ALL FOOD!!!

Weekends with no schedule and routine sucks. I have been known to get up, make a shake and go back to bed or I start doing something and forget until I want to kill people or think I am going to faint. Getting some structure really helps out. I have become a list girl. Sometimes, I go as far as making a 3 x 5 card for each day of the week so I have some tasks to do and don't revert to being a blob again. Finding that Get Up And Go and riding it out is cool. Which way did it go this time?

Don't know about any of you but sometimes drivng by McDonald's makes me drool. I can smell my Quarter Pounder with no pickles and onions, fries and coke! Dear me, I think I just started to drool.

It is evil but smells of certain foods make you smile, happy, content and bring back memories. Yeah, food isn't my drug of choice or anything.
Gwenski

Began July 6, 2005 & Originally lost 131.19#'s
New Start Date: November 8, 2008
Gwenski
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby dlr2424 » January 11th, 2006, 1:56 pm

Okay everyone........ :scratch: ....are you all telling me there are TOUGH TIMES..... :shock: ......i'm shocked.... :nonono: .....I don't believe I have EVER experienced any difficulty at all................................................................................YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!

In all honesty I found the first 7 months to be somewhat painless.... :huh: .......at least that's how my brain wants to remember it...... :twisted: ......after that when I allowed the BLT"S to enter into the plan is when I found it at times a challenge................since August I have maintained 125....give or take a few............and there have been many episodes of slipping down the slope.... :hammerhead: ...eating things out of proportion .........but before I fall flat on my face I once again continued to be compliant........usually never letting it go more than 5-7 lbs............well I have been 100% compliant now for 11 days trying to remove my HAPPY HOLIDAY HIPPAGE.....and this time..... :x ....IT"S A STRUGGLE!!!!!!!!..... :twisted: ...my stomach is always growling.... :hug: .....I would love to be comforted by that TWO FACED FRIEND (as Gwenski puts it).. :roflmao: ....but I know it would not be what I really want..... :huh: ....I know this will be a challenge my entire life.....I will always have to choose between eating in proportion and staying this size..... :clap: ...or splurging and tipping the scales...... :tears: .......now I think we all want the same thing.......WE WANT OUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO... :hmmm: ...but for me.. :rollrolleyes: ..well I can't do both
it will continue to be a daily choice.... :secret: ...so to answer your question regarding the toughest times..... :nutz: ......it depends on my frame of mind at the moment

Donna....dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby ljm498 » January 11th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Donna, your story sounds all too familiar! The first 7 months or so were a breeze! And then, well, it's gotten much much tougher. But I'm so glad to see you hanging in there and I know you will reach your goal. And you are so right that it's a lifelong battle. We have to care enough about ourselves to make the right choices and to eat in proportion to keep our weight stable. But it seems you certainly are doing a great job keeping yourself in check. Not letting yourself get too far without taking action. That's exactly what it takes. Great job!
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
ljm498

The Hard times

Postby Jan » January 11th, 2006, 5:18 pm

Ohhh,
I'm one of those individuals who could go without eating until about 3:00 pm or so. Then suddenly hunger struck :x and the rumbles began. Soooo off to the kitchen and in the cupboards for me. I didn't discriminate toooo much about what my paw popped in my mouth. It was pretty much anything I happened to come across including spoons of peanut butter and cocoa from the can. I now know it's because I didn't eat earlier and my system had finally awaked and decided it was being starved. So I got a strong message -- eat eat and I did. :? I think the most important thing on this program is never never skip a meal -- it results in indiscriminate stuffing . Plus as you all have done identify your hardest times and plan plan ahead. My hard times are still in the evening. I want to pop something in my mouth. Soooo sometimes I have a package of crackers dunked in my tea -- I always have tea -- decaf in the evening -- warms up the tummy and I have my last MF meal about 9:00 or so. Now my new favorite is the hot cocoa with s/f davinci toasted marshmellow syrup ( Dogma's recipe) yummmmm As for the social events -- we know they are going to happen and we just have to plan for them tooo. I've gone to dinner with friends and stated "I'm not too hungry (sometimes that was true :mrgreen: ) and just ordered tea. After all the real fun is visiting with others not poking things in our mouths. That's what got us all in trouble to begin with. We can then leave the restaurant feeling, happy with ourselves and yes even sometimes a little smug :mrgreen:
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Return to The Weight Room