What the heck!?!?!?!

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

What the heck!?!?!?!

Postby Allie » September 13th, 2006, 8:46 am

My "little" brother went in for a highschool sports physical last week, and was weighed and measured. 6'5", 211 lbs, 12% body fat. Doing great by all means.

Well, yesterday he called me and asked me for some of my MF shakes because his coach told him that he has to lose 12lbs to play on the soccer team. WHAT!?!?!

Isn't it more important for a kid to be healthy and active, than to weigh less than 200lbs. He is completely porportionate for his height, and the doctor had no concern what so ever. What kind of message is the coach sending.

Thankfully my mom agrees with me and the doctor, and will be having a meeting with the coach. Besides, if he was playing football insted of soccer, he would be told to GAIN weight.

Allie
If you always do what you have always done, you will always be where you have always been.
Allie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby SharonR » September 13th, 2006, 9:37 am

That is so wrong, and maddening! 6'5 200 pounds?!?!??!! wow....

I have three brothers who are all over 6'3 and they all weigh somewhere between 210-240. They all look great.

That's sports for ya though.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby JeepGirl » September 13th, 2006, 9:50 am

Unfortunatly HS Sports these days are DogeatDog. What the coach says normally goes or that is how is here around here.

In soccer they want the team agile and fast & think that putting a weight limit on the teams makes it better. Just as Football needs big burly linebackers in a way.

Not all that understood but 9 times outta 10 the kids agree to it because that is what they want to play.
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby DogMa » September 13th, 2006, 10:11 am

But at 12% body fat, what do they want? They really want him to have less fat than that? That's just wrong. Maybe for an elite adult athlete, but it seems like a growing kid (and a boy of that age is usually still growing and developing), some body fat is necessary.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Allie » September 13th, 2006, 10:44 am

The thing that makes me the most mad about it, is that my brother is an All Star soccer player, and he is sponsered in club, and the other hisgschool in the area tried to recruit him!!! What a dumb coach.
If you always do what you have always done, you will always be where you have always been.
Allie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Mike » September 13th, 2006, 8:59 pm

As I recall, being the science teacher and department chair that I am... sports coaches aren't always the most educated of beings when it comes to nutrition and height/weight charts anyhow.
I would advise you to tell the kid to get a note from the doctor telling the coach that his weight and height are perfect and if he has any questions, to give him a call.
Personally, and this is just my own experience, coaches are complete idiots when watching out for the kids best interestes anyway. ;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby alpha femme » September 13th, 2006, 10:16 pm

yeah, it doesn't always make sense.

they want me to gain 300# to do sumo.
i think i can do it right now!

damn coaches.

:lol:
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Serendipity » September 14th, 2006, 5:03 am

alpha femme wrote:yeah, it doesn't always make sense.

they want me to gain 300# to do sumo.
i think i can do it right now!

damn coaches.

:lol:

:roflmao:
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Sarya » September 14th, 2006, 6:24 am

I have a friend who was denied health insurance because the insurance company said he weighed too much. He is a body builder and has less than 10% body fat, but apparently he carries too much muscle so they labeled him as obese and denied his application.

I'm glad your mom is going to talk to the coach because that just isn't okay. I hope he is persuaded to understand that weight isn't the end all be all of who is fit and who is not.
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to What's Shakin'