What's in a name?

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Postby DogMa » June 19th, 2006, 5:33 pm

Diana, what'd you play? I used to play trumpet, but gave it up in college when I got braces. My bro still plays trombone, though, up in the Bay Area. He's done some musicals, plus he's in a swing band up there. And used to play Tuba Christmas every year.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Zinkette99 » June 19th, 2006, 5:49 pm

My name is boring as well. My husband's last name is Zink. (And so is mine of course) His friends never call him by his first name they always refer to him by last name. So when we got engaged he thought it would be cute to get people to call me Zinkette. (He's a dork. But I have to admit I liked it. Shhh) Thus I am Zinkette.

The 99 is just a random number. It is the year I graduated from high school but that's not why I used it. Just an easy number to remember.
25 years old
5'8
Started MF'ing: 6/5/06
267/247/135

"Strive for perfection, allow for error. If you haven't given up, you haven't failed."
Courtesy of ChiNut :):)
Zinkette99
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby wildtrk » June 19th, 2006, 6:09 pm

Arklahoma wrote:I may just have to step down to Akron and slap Wild Whatever into breaking the code.

:stickwack:

Anytime! :fence:
327/247/199
MF Start Date 4/14/06
10# - 4/26 40# - 5/25 70# - 7/27
20# - 5/04 50# - 6/18 80# - 8/31
30# - 5/15 60# - 7/1

New Start Date 1/22/10
Starting weight 355/345/199
10# - 2/2/10

"How long does getting thin take?" Pooh asked anxiously.
wildtrk
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby jump4joy » June 19th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Mine is just a play on my name. Jump4joy sounds happy to me and I love to laugh and see the humor in things. I picked it because when I get to goal and stay there this time, I'm gonna jump for joy!

Joy :rose:
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Nova » June 19th, 2006, 6:43 pm

Okay, my user name is way out there compared to most. I've been into RPGs (role play games) for um...decades. My favorite game is Champions, where you create a superhero and go around saving the world. :) Nova is the call sign of my favorite character. She's a super soldier, enhanced with cybernetics, in the year 2055, a major in the Army and the leader of an elite squad of superheroes and other super soldiers. If you've ever seen the anime "Ghost in the Shell" she's like Major Kusanagi, who happens to be my avatar. Anyway, I like strong female characters, and after so long, she's almost like my alter ego. If something seems too hard for me, I think how Nova would handle it. Then I realize she's nothing more than a part of me, so I can handle it too. May sound corny, but it works.
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby She2chat » June 19th, 2006, 6:49 pm

Well,

My name is Sheila, so She is the first portion of my middle name and I like to Chat, so she2chat works for me.. lol

Jodi,

We were born the same year...

Just my 2 cents..

Sheila
She2chat
Trusted Member - #100 Club
Trusted Member - #100 Club

Postby Arklahoma » June 19th, 2006, 7:25 pm

wildtrk wrote:
Arklahoma wrote:I may just have to step down to Akron and slap Wild Whatever into breaking the code.

:stickwack:

Anytime! :fence:

Wild ~ Be on the lookout as one of my interviews this week is tomorrow at Akron General.
Arklahoma

Postby LovenElvis » June 19th, 2006, 8:38 pm

I believe mine is pretty obivious.... Even though Elvis died when I was one years old, I still love him!!! And yes I know he is dead! :)

I get a lot of reactions from this name..Nancy can make a conversation using almost every Elvis song there is :)

Laura
LovenElvis
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » June 19th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Elvis is dead?
:whattha:
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Diana » June 19th, 2006, 9:33 pm

DogMa wrote:Diana, what'd you play? I used to play trumpet, but gave it up in college when I got braces. My bro still plays trombone, though, up in the Bay Area. He's done some musicals, plus he's in a swing band up there. And used to play Tuba Christmas every year.

I took flute (because of braces! I wanted to learn French horn) for 9 years after piano, then carried cymbals during marching season and played oboe during concert season. Although Dayna would argue, I'm not a "real" musician. I still play flute a bit and struggle through piano. I would LOVE to get an oboe, but my embrechure (sp?? this is way wrong) is pretty much shot.

Dayna, on the other hand, is a working musician -- like your brother! (You'll have to keep me posted on venues! Swing is too fun!!) She attended So Oregon U on a jazz trombone scholarship. Piano and voice are now her main instruments (note pic in studio), but she also plays percussion as part of a professional symphony in the Rogue Valley.

Mom and Dad were the ones at Chico. (Tenor sax and baritone/music major respectively.)

Hey, Dogma!! do you still have your trumpet?? Would could jam at convention! (We could pick up beginner band books if nothing else from my aunt on our way to UT --she's also a musician/music teacher.)
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby DogMa » June 19th, 2006, 9:42 pm

I do have mine, but I haven't played in AGES. My lips are shot. Sigh.

My bro's actually an engineer, but he plays on the side. Swing Solutions is the name of the band. They just taped something for local-access cable, he said, in Santa Cruz (he's in San Jose). They don't get as many gigs as they used to, I think because the guy who was in charge of that died or retired or something.

And I played oboe for a couple of months because they thought it was more appropriate for a girl. Then we moved to California, where people were more progressive, and I got to play trumpet instead. I wanted to play trombone like my brother, but my arms were too short to get past fifth position. :roll:
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby sidrah » June 19th, 2006, 9:52 pm

There is a Seinfeld episode with Teri Hatcher and her name is Sidrah. I was trying to figure out an available user name and saw that was free. I have been using it for a few years now.

My normal screen names are all foreign langauge words and people spell them wrong so many times I decided to add in one in English!
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Tankie » June 19th, 2006, 11:15 pm

You just have to look at my avatar to get my screen name....Tankie (short for Tank Girl) was a nickname given to me in highschool.....not only for my love of the Tank Girl comic book series.....but for the way I'd plow over opponents who uhhh.."irked" (heh heh) me while playing soccer and field hockey....the name has stuck with me now for about 13 years and through more states than I can mention.... :star:

Amy
It's been swell but the swelling's gone down...

Tankie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Diana » June 19th, 2006, 11:29 pm

(a somewhat matronly woman squints through her glasses at the screen, trying not to realize exactly how old she feels at the moment)
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana

Postby Tankie » June 19th, 2006, 11:43 pm

:roflmao:
Ok...it is a bit small....I prolly can see it so clearly cuz I know what it says....but I do have to say for a "somewhat matronly woman" you sure have good taste in trackers.....lol

Amy
It's been swell but the swelling's gone down...

Tankie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

PreviousNext

Return to What's Shakin'