Went to the beach today

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Went to the beach today

Postby sheila » May 12th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Today my 13 yr old son had the day off from school and wanted me to go to the beach with him. I was finding every excuse under the sun(LITERALLY) not to go :oops: . I had chores to do, I had to pay some bills, I had to do this and that :roll: , but my husband convinced me that I should take him to the beach so I could spend some time with him. So I agreed, that I should. We started out going to the beach here on our base. We hadnt walked 10 feet from the car and it started raining. Secretly, I was glad that it started raining.. :twisted: .so we could leave. Well, we got in the car, and my son talked me into driving out to the beach in beautiful Kailua. It wasnt raining at all there, and we had a nice time. I thought I heard a couple of guys make a joke about me, but I didnt let it spoil our day. They were with 2 really pretty and skinny Hawaiian girls. I know I am more than half way to my goal now, and I should be more proud of myself, but it is hard sometimes. Especially here, in Hawaii, where so many of the women go around so scantilly clad, on a daily basis. I know when I get to my goal, I will feel much better about myself. But until then, its going to take some work as far as my mentality goes. Anyway, I went to the gym tonight, and I do feel a little more confident after working out.
sheila
sheila
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby PJinCali » May 12th, 2006, 10:09 pm

WOW! It is great that you decided to go with your son :stroll:. In spite of those unthinking idiots at the beach :stickwack: , I bet it was great spending time together. AND you went to the gym afterward ?!?! :exercise: You are my hero!! :trophy:

I have a 15 year old son and I live in Southern Calfornia so I can TOTALLY relate.

Thanks for the insprirational post. You Rock!!
:kool: :kool: :kool: :kool: :kool: :kool: :kool:
:kool: :kool: :kool: :kool: :kool: :kool: :kool:
20#5-21 - 120# forecast 3-3
40#7-09 - 130# forecast 4-2
60#8-31 - 140# forecast 5-2
80#10-22- 150# forecast 6-2
100#12-30 – 160# forecast 7-2
110# forecast 1-29
PJinCali
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Arklahoma » May 13th, 2006, 5:22 am

Sheila ~ I can't even imagine what it would be like to live in Hawaii. You are definitely made of sterner stuff than me. I look for any excuse to NOT exercise. Way to go!!!
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby falisamarie » May 13th, 2006, 6:59 am

Sheila~

What matters here is that you made precious memories with your son. You are doing great! You are over half way there AND you went to the gym! Don't worry about what some shallow jerks have to day cause truth be told give em a few years and they will probably be ugly, bald, and sporting a pot belly!

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie

Postby Crystal » May 13th, 2006, 7:34 am

Sheila,

I, too, can totally relate. We live in a beautiful beach area of NW Florida. Very "beachy" atmosphere...translated very "little" clothing! I love it, though, and am beginning to be more confident in how I look. I think you will too, as you get closer to goal. And, until then, think about it this way..." I AM doing something about it, and look better every day!"
Crystal
Crystal
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 13th, 2006, 8:41 am

Hi Sheila!

Unfortunately, there are people who will judge people by their covers. :x But, if they only took the time to open your book and read some of your pages, they would find all the beautiful attributes in there, that they are lacking. You sound like a wonderful mother and a successful MF loser. There is nothing better than that, so continue to hold your head up, smile adversity in the face and rise above the idiots!! It is the only way to fly!!! :D Exercise after a day at the beach?? Amazing!! I am usually zonked from the sun! Bless! :D

Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Lizabette » May 13th, 2006, 8:57 am

GOOD GOING, SHEILA!

Not long to go until you will feel confident on the beach or anywhere else. Right now, your family loves you just as you are.

The thing is you are taking matters in your own hands and doing something about your own life and health, and everyone is proud of you for that!

Hey, love your picture avatar. You're gorgeous anyway you look at it!

:heart:

Lizabette
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby sheila » May 13th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Thanks everyone for your support. You know, I was thinking about this post this morning. And it dawned on me that when I do get to goal, I will never be one of those "insensitive" people that I had talked about. Having been overweight myself, I know I will have a much different outlook about people, their situations, and what they may be going through. I could never be judgemental, and just assume that because someone might be heavy, they must EAT ALOT! I know first hand that always isnt the case. There are many different reasons people gain weight. I will never look at a heavy person and think"why dont they do something about their weight", because truth be told, maybe they ARE doing something about it. Who knows, maybe that person could be halfway through their weight loss journey....just like I was at the beach yesterday. I know this whole experience has been a lesson that will affect me for the rest of my life.
sheila
sheila

Postby Tiolazz » May 13th, 2006, 2:31 pm

Amen Sheila, I second that and feel exactly the same way.....

Terri
Tiolazz
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 13th, 2006, 3:30 pm

Sheila, you think that you learned something this morning, but I am positive that being non-judgemental was already within you!

I know how it hurts sometimes, when people make derogatory statements. I have had problems over the past four years, regulating an out of whack thyroid (Grave's)disease, having to go through two rounds of radiation that made me hypothyroid and tons and tons of medication adjustments.

I have a neighbor who is a little older than I, who took the opportunity as I was gaining weight with the thyroid disease and also from poor food choices, to call me "fatty, hi fatty', "you are so fat, have you looked at yourself in a mirror lately", and "you are disgusting looking, you ought to be ashamed of yourself". :cry: :cry: I was devastated. Hurt, you bet? But, I did not feel that this person deserved any explanation, yet I was so tempted to speak up in my defense, but I remained silent.

Fortunately, for all of us on our weight loss journeys, the good people out there outweigh the nasty ones. We cannot escape them, but we sure can be proud of ourselves, and like you said, Sheila, we can look at overweight people with compassion, and caring because we have been there.
I am so happy that you picked yourself up, and turned a negative experience into a very positive one! :D

Joan
Ct. Yankee

Postby Pashta » May 15th, 2006, 9:40 am

Jeesh Joan, I would have gone over there and smacked the crap out of them, male or female, doesn't matter! LOL!

Some people I tell ya. :x
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby DntCryLilEmoGrl » May 15th, 2006, 10:52 am

it wasn't long ago that i was still in high school, only a few years back now. but sounds like the stupid idiots i went to school with. people can be so mean and immature sometimes without taking the time to consider what that person was going through. its great that we can now rise above these people because we are taking back our health and going to look more beautiful than we already do. I may not have had any serious health issues that caused my weight to go up, but back in my freshmen year of college my father was killed in a motorcycle wreck, i gained 40 lbs then and pushed myself over 200 :(. i have sorta been around the same since, though i have lost a little. those stupid insensitive people arent even worth our time. when we get to where we want to be rather than being like them we can help others also trying to do what we are doing. god knows its soo important to take care of your health :D

*HUGS ALL AROUND!*
"Soon to be mrs sexy pants"
lilemo's getting married on April 6th 2008!!!!!

started changing my life 5/15/06
restarted 10/01/07
DntCryLilEmoGrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Jan » May 15th, 2006, 11:55 am

Hi there,
Life is a learning experience and you (along with the rest of us are learning :mrgreen:) We can't really change other's attitudes but we can change how those attitudes affect us. I know it's hard. Shallow people many times say hurtful things. My mother always told me to consider the source. Hopefully they'll learn too.
I remember when my son was young (6) he played soccer. There was a little boy on his team that was almost blind. He could only see the ball when it moved. I was at a game and the coach had put the little guy in as the outcome had already been pretty much decided. One of the other parents yelled out -- "What's wrong with you -- are you blind?" To which I was able to reply "Well as a matter of fact he is" I hope that man learned something that day and was more careful in his future comments.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 15th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Sheila,

I'm so proud of you on SO many levels! I KNOW we all will have some work to do with our insides. I know I will! What is important is you quit with the excuses, went with your son, had fun, ignored small-minded pinheads and THEN went to exercise!

This last weekend, I got into yet another altercation with an intoxicated NASCAR fan (imagine that) and realized after it was over that he just called me a "witch (with a b)", but he DIDN'T call me a "FAT Witch (with a b)" like people always have in that situation...It was pretty cool to just be a witch with a b!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby sheila » May 15th, 2006, 11:31 pm

DeDe, you are so funny! Sorry it took me so long to post back. I have been busy today, I am changing universities...yet again....but you might like the school I chose...U of Phoenix, online campus of course. I am working on my Bachelors in health administration. I a, also trying to sell a business that Hubby and I started 2 yrs ago, so things have been really hectic lately. Anyhow, thanx for all of your advice. Jan, I enjoyed your story also. Hope that parent learned their lesson!
sheila
sheila

Return to Come on in.