Stealing from South Beach Diet...

Add your favorite recipes.

Stealing from South Beach Diet...

Postby Mommy2girls » May 2nd, 2005, 7:27 pm

I just wanted to mention that the South Beach Diet has a really great recipe for anyone who misses MASHED POTATOES.

Buy fresh califlower. Clean it and break it into small pieces. Steam the califlower, (I sprinkle on bullion granules during steaming) then put it in a food processor or blender and add spices until your heart is content. You can experiment with the flavor but it honestly resembles mashed potatoes.

For those on the 5&1 you can have these with your lean and green meal.

Very tasty! Even my 4 year old will eat them! :shock:

Sheila
Mommy2girls
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby fatBgone » May 2nd, 2005, 8:03 pm

That sounds really good....what would our serving size of that be for the lean/green meal - do you know? :bib:
Lisa
fatBgone

Postby Mommy2girls » May 4th, 2005, 5:18 am

Hi Lisa,

Here is the answer to your question! If you aren't eating a salad with your meal then you can have up to 1.5 cup of COOKED califlower. I don't know if you need to measure before putting in the blender or not!

This is from the Medifast website:

Salad or Vegetables: Either 2 cups of salad greens (any kind) and up to ½ cup raw vegetables, or up to 1 ½ cups cooked vegetables. You may also use 1 – 2 tablespoons of Medifast low-fat or non-fat dressing.

I hope that helps. Later on maintenance you can add sour cream, cheese and other goodies to liven this recipe up!
Mommy2girls

Postby fatBgone » May 4th, 2005, 5:49 am

Thanks for the info....I had read that about the 1 1/2 cups, but I thought that sounded like a lot for mashed cauliflower....that could almost be a whole meal by itself!! (I know you're supposed to have the protein too, though.) Thanks again....it sounds yummy....wonder if I could fool the kids into thinking it was potatoes if I jazzed theirs up??? I think I'll try....
don't tell!! :secret:
Lisa
fatBgone

Postby Nancy » May 4th, 2005, 11:34 am

Dear Mommy2Girls and others ~

Measure the 1.5 cups of steamed cauliflower first, then whirl it up. Do not whirl first and then measure...

I add some roasted garlic and hand mash. It is very good - it just stinks up the place!

FatBgone ~ re:
wonder if I could fool the kids into thinking it was potatoes if I jazzed theirs up???

Good luck - I COULD :no: NEVER pull that one off with MY husband!
:puke:
I always have the lights turned way down low and he and Unca turn on the landing lights for the runway so they can identify everything in the serving bowls...besides...cauliflower will never pass the :twisted: sniff test...there's NOTHING flower-like about cauliflower!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Dean0408 » May 4th, 2005, 11:42 am

Yep.....cauliflower smells more like a Collie than a flower........a WET Collie.......who has been romping in the pasture where the cows do their business. In fact, the GARLIC makes the cauliflower smell BETTER!!

Dean
Dean0408

Postby Mommy2girls » May 5th, 2005, 6:21 pm

:lol:

You guys are funny! Califlower STINKS to high heaven if you let it sit in your fridge too long after buying it. I will almost ALWAYS buy and steam the same day. If it sits more than a day, I usually throw it out. ICK! And a waste too.

Yes, BUY FRESH, STEAM FRESH and you will be amazed at how it can satisfy a craving for the REAL DEAL!!!

:lol: Sheila
Mommy2girls

Return to Lean Cuisine