weight gain on antidepressents

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

weight gain on antidepressents

Postby gillian » October 10th, 2009, 10:40 am

HELLO!!!! I need help. I have been using medifast and trying so hard to be faithful, but I started on prozac and gained 30 pounds. I got off that, lost ten of it and then got another antidepressant and have gained 8 pounds in a month. I started walking at the YMCA YESTERDAY. This is the WORST. Any advice from my fearless leader? Unca? Mike? Robin? Anybody can help me?
Gillian
gillian
Preferred member

Re: weight gain on antidepressents

Postby Tawanda » October 11th, 2009, 6:28 am

Gillian, just wanted to let you know that I feel badly for you and hope someone is able to give you some insight on this.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » October 11th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Hi, Gillian ~

Don'tcha hate it when the tiny font nearing the end of the list of potential side effects for a prescription medication includes weight gain? :x That is not fair! That alone can be depressing!

Some medications can interfere with the rate of weight loss and there are some things for us to consider
Similar to beginning a new relationship or marriage, there may be an adjustment stage; perhaps your body is adjusting to this new medication and there are fluid levels that may fluctuate during the initial introduction of the medication. Are you taking in an adequate amount of water throughout the day? Are there any apparent signs of edema in your extremities?

I'm sure you've discussed your desire to reach a healthy weight with your health care provider; perhaps there are other anti-depressant prescription options that may be substituted for the one you are currently using.

Exercise is a great way to off-load anxiety and stress, it is a mood-lifter as well as assists the metabolism. Your choice to add walking sounds like a positive decision and I applaud you for doing so. :clapclap: I go to the YMCA regularly and love it! If you just recently added the exercise component to your routine, give it a couple weeks to see how it affects your progress. Some people experience their rate of weight loss slowing down when exercise if first added to their routine and then it picks back up. Don't over-do: just do up to 45 minutes per day, as you are able to do so. Again, may I remind us all to drink plenty of water throughout the day.

Does the medication you are currently taking cause the stomach to empty more rapidly or slower than 'usual'? Are you able to maintain the three hour refueling schedule or is there any possibility that you're going too long between meals? It is important to eat meals at regularly-spaced intervals and to eat all the food - don't skip packets or short-change the veggies or super-size the protein amounts.

I know how frustrating it can be to be doing your very best to determine a health goal, to work hard and feel like you're on a treadmill that pulls faster than you can walk; I was on prednisone for a number of years, one its side-effects is weight gain. I used to tell myself that just because the small print said it [weight gain], that did not have to be my license to give up. I still needed to take responsibility for the food I consumed and while it took great effort initially, I did my best to eat by the clock - I set the alarm clock at three-hour intervals and when the dinger dinged, I had my shake, I was like a rat pressing on the food bar! Over time, mt prednisone dose was reduced and eventually eliminated. It would be my prayer for you that there will be the time when the :whip: nasty medication is no longer necessary for you.

May I also suggest that you consider participating in the Wednesday night Doctor's Support Call -
This is an interactive 30-minute national support call for health coaches and clients on the Take Shape For Life Program.
It begins at 8 PM Eastern
To participate, call (646) 519-5860 and when prompted for the PIN Number, enter 0971#

The doctor will ask that you state your name and your question. Since this is an interactive call, there will be others on the line at the same time that also want to ask a question.

You have to be quick to get your question in there, politely say,
"Dr., This is Gillian and I have a question about antidepressant medications and the Take Shape For Life Program."

Wait until the doctor acknowledges you. Sometimes you have to wait a few minutes while someone else has their question answered.
If you are not asking the question, please mute your telephone line by pressing *6 .
The Star key and the 6 key on your keypad will mute the line or if you have a 'mute' button on your phone, press it.
That way, the listening audience will not hear you if your driving your car or hollering at your family!
It is really important to mute your line if you are not asking your question; lemme tell ya, it is annoying to be trying to ask the doctor a question and hear four or five different conversations going on in other people's homes or dogs barking in the background! :oops:

Best wishes to you, Gillian! I'm raising my shaker jar to your success! :toast:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby gillian » October 14th, 2009, 7:53 am

Hey all. II want to thank you for your response Nancy. I have really been focused and actually lost 4 of the 30 I gained the last year while taking the medication. You arfe right, it was so depressing to know I was getting fatter and fatter and feel like there was nothing I could do. I have been going to the YMCA here for the past week and like it so much. It was funny! I did a kickboxing arobics (however you spell that) class. I did not do the whole class, but felt great that I tried to get through it. Just doing cardio makes me feel very happy. I will call in one of these wedensday nights. Thank you so much.

G.
Gillian
gillian
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » October 14th, 2009, 10:23 pm

Hullo there, Gillian ~

High fives :whoohoo: and Yabba Dabba Medidoo to you for doing something new that supports your choice to get healthy!
Kickboxing?! Wow! That sounds like :weightlift: serious sweating to me. :lol:

I just betcha you will prove the small print on the medication insert wrong and over time you will reach your goal. I know that by incorporating the eating system that we learn from Dr. A's Habits of Health, you will attain your goal.

You know what? If it takes 6 months, 12 months or 16 months to reach a healthier weight and increase your vitality and muscle strength, so what?
We're not in a race, thankfully there are no time trials here and crossing the finish line is sweet, no matter how long it takes! then when we get there, it really isn't over - health is something that want for life, not for just a week or two! That means we need to make health our priority and our lifestyle.

Kick it up and kick it off! :shades:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby gillian » October 14th, 2009, 11:34 pm

and Tawanda... thank You for your support. Hey Nancy! I could never have dreampt of a kickboxing class at 250!!! So, Im counting my blessings.
Gillian
gillian
Preferred member

Return to Weight Loss