Week One :( (Should have put this in the Weight Room)

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Week One :( (Should have put this in the Weight Room)

Postby sherry2232 » June 15th, 2006, 7:39 am

:cry: This past Tuesday (13th) I was doing great - was down 6 lbs!! Wednesday morning was UP 2 lbs. Today, my one week mark, I am still what I was yesterday. Total lost for first week - 4lbs. I am grateful for the loss but am I doing something wrong? I've read how everyone loses at a different rate, but I used to lose weight fast in the beginning of a diet. And what caused me to go up two pounds?? Well, it could be a couple of things, what do you think, please:

I am 52 now, so pounds come off slower; or
I was using salad dressing I thought had 0 grams of fat
when in fact had 11 grams of fat when I read the
label with my glasses; or
I don't drink enough water;or
????????? Suggestions???????????????

Now, I don't understand how it could be the salad dressing that caused a gain since I've gone from eating probably 3000 or more calories a day (I really have no idea how many) to what I am eating now. Then how could one ever maintain their weight loss if they had 2 Tbl of salad dressing with 11 grams of fat with practically no other fat and gain from that? Ok, just had to get that off my chest. So here's my usual routine:

9:00am oatmeal
12:00pm soup
3:00pm shake
4:00pm soy crisps
5:30pm lean and green
8:00pm bar
10:00pm pudding or shake

About 84 oz of water
If I cheat (I think I did about 3 times) it was with about 1oz., maybe even 1/2 oz.(a small bite) of chicken breast on 3 different days.

Definitely going to the store to get some different salad dressing today!

Thanks for listening,
Sherry

Started 6/8/06 - 252
6/15/06 - 248
Goal 190 and I'll take it from there!
:hammerhead1:
sherry2232
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Sarya » June 15th, 2006, 7:53 am

Because the bar is higher in calores you may want to try having it earlier in the day. I try to have mine around 2 or so. I read somewhere on the MF site that the bar is best eaten before some of your busiest times of the day due to the carb count. Right now you're basically eating your two highest carb and highest calorie meals back to back in the evening.

Are you drinking your water throughout the day? What I mean is, you're not drinking a ton all at once, then not drinking any for hours or anything, right?

Are you exercising? If you are, how much? If you're not, don't start yet :)

Another thing to mention is that you're having a higher carb snack right before those two back to back higher carb/cal meals. Try cutting out the snack or having celery sticks instead.

What about your salt intake? Are you adding a lot of spice blends to your foods? What about your use of sugar substitutes? fat-free, sugar-free, and/or carb-free products?

--S
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby sherry2232 » June 15th, 2006, 8:10 am

Sayra,

See, I knew I'd get knowledge from the experts!! :lol: :lol:

YES, I do use too much salt in my lean and green - I am pretty heavy handed on the Adobo seasoning which has a lot of salt in it!

I don't drink coffe or tea, but I drink Crystal Light throughout the day - maybe 4 - 8 oz. glasses. Once in awhile I use a little splenda in the supplements but really, I like them the way they are.

Never thought about all the carbs - will definitely change that routine, now that you mentioned it.

Was only walking on the treadmill 15 min a day and stopped for a week but I had planned to start again tomorrow since it's certainly not strenuous!

I drink the water pretty evenly throughout the day. Tuesday, though, when I was down the 6lbs., I didn't have any water for a greater part of the day (was at the doctors a long time) and drank most of it after 6pm.

Thanks for opening my eyes. I am excited to start again with the changes you suggested!

Sherry
sherry2232

Postby Arklahoma » June 15th, 2006, 8:11 am

Many different ways to tweak the plan, but it's still pretty early in the process. Your body needs time to adjust to drastic change in calories. My advice is to work the plan for at least a few weeks before you start moving things around and tweaking. You're doing just fine and well within MF avg weight loss numbers.

:goodluck:
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby falisamarie » June 15th, 2006, 8:32 am

I would not panic. My wieght fluctuates daily but overall I end up lighter than I was before. Just stick with program and try moving the bar like Sarya said and see what happens. Also I know you are drinking a lot of water already but many on this forum will tell you that the more water you are able to get in the better the weight loss.

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Jan » June 15th, 2006, 8:39 am

Hmmmm,
My guess would be that the 2 pound bump was just water weight. :D Water weight does fluctuate day by day and even hour by hour. Don't worry the 4 pound loss is great. You are correct, we "experienced people "-- Nancy get after me any time I say "older" :x do tend to part with the pounds at a slower rate. I was shocked though when my Dr. told me that after 22 our metabolisms start to slow. Ahhhhh only 22 !!!! :cry: You are doing fine and it is still very very early program wise. I generally have my bar in the afternoon because I need the 3:00 push to keep me going. Some people have found that a bar later in the evening keeps them awake.
My suggestion to you would be "don't be toooo tied to the old scale" be very very compliant on program... drink all your water... and relax a bit. Those pesky pounds will be leaving :mrgreen: We love to watch our progress day by day -- some people hour by hour :mrgreen: but really it's the overall that counts. YOu're doing fine. :D :D
jan

t
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Elke » June 15th, 2006, 9:55 am

You have gotton some great advice here from some pretty smart people. I will just add that you are doing good. It might take a couple of weeks to find what works best for you. I have a water jug I carry around with me so I have no reason not to drink my 64 oz. I eat me bar during my last break at work around 2 to 3 pm. I need that extra push after lunch to get me through the day.
You are doing good, keep your head up and try not to let the scale be your mood ring.
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Joelie » June 17th, 2006, 8:23 am

:wave: Sherry!

You have gotten REALLY great advise from everyone.
I'll just add another tidbit on the scale. I have THE HARDEST time not weighing myself everyday. It takes more of an effort and more willpower on my part to stay away from it than ANY diet or plan I've ever been on.
Put it away though...REALLY. Only weigh once a week rather than daily. It will do WONDERS for ya!

Hang in there! You CAN do this and the weight will start dripping off before ya know it!

Oh! And....

Joelie
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby sherry2232 » June 17th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Hi everyone,

All of your posts are great reassurance for me to "hang in there". I am now down a wonderful 7 lbs.! I do think the gain was from water retention but I also have been eating my bar earlier in the day and cut out the salt and the soy crisps (temporarily) and surprisingly I am not starving anymore!! :shock:

I agree, Joelie, I'll need tons of willpower to weigh once a week, :x
but I'll give it a shot cause I am guilty of scale abuse!!!! :roll:

The camraderie here sure makes the journey to thin a lot less painful!

:stroll:

Sherry
sherry2232

Hi

Postby dede4wd » June 17th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Hi Sherry!

I'm so glad it's going better for you! 7lbs YAY! Ask us anything you need to! You're doing GREAT! I'm happy you're walking this journey with us!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Come on in.