Week 2 Blues...

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Week 2 Blues...

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2004, 3:00 pm

Hi guys I am in my second week and my 11th day, I have only lost 1 pound in the last six days and Ive been sticking to the full fast. I lost 10 pounds the first week...I'm puzzled, but not giving up yet. Did anyone have trouble losing their second week? I put away the bars and crackers - I am afraid they are just too much for me to incorporate and still lose. I don't know though.

I have also had really dry lips despite all the 64oz+ I've been drinking. Anyone know the reason or had similair effects?

I am not as hungry, but the cravings are kicking my butt right now...I know that when I am losing I can push those thoughts out of my head a little easier...

I'm NOT giving up - just wish I would lose a couple more soon here! :roll:

Thanks guys - Julia

Postby JuliaMejia » November 14th, 2004, 3:02 pm

I didn't know I was logged out - the above post is mine...
May 1st 2006...Highest Weight 265...

Started Medifast December 8th, 06 Weight = 236.8 :(

JuliaMejia
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby gr8views » November 14th, 2004, 3:14 pm

Don't give up...

Others have talked about having a week with little to no weight loss, then having a great week. I'm sure that's what will happen to you. Just think a few days ahead to seeing a dramatic change on the scale.

You can do this, Julia!!!
Start Date: November 6, 2004

246/233/146??

Good choices = Progress!!
gr8views

Postby JuliaMejia » November 14th, 2004, 3:18 pm

Diane, thanks for the encouragement! I kinda need it right now. I see you changed your stats - congrads on your loss! Keep up the losing - Julia.

JuliaMejia

Postby Simmshe » November 14th, 2004, 9:07 pm

Hi Julia! I hope this message will be coherent, because I'm dead tired now! I just wanted to respond to your post before I hit the sack.

Diane's right about some (or most, really) of us having a week (or three!) with no weight loss--it's normal. A lot of us lose weight in patterns, and once you figure out what your pattern is (which you should know after your first month), you'll see that things are fine and that the weight WILL drop :). For instance, my pattern is like clockwork--I drop big (talking about 15-20lbs) over the course of 8-14 days, and then I hold for the rest of the month. Week before last, I dropped 25lbs over a two-week span, and guess what? I've been holding for the past 10 days. I will most likely start dropping again by Wednesday/Thursday this week. My body's like that--I've never been a consistent, 3-4lb a week loser, no matter what diet/weight loss plan I was on.

After the first big drop, where we shock our bodies with the fast drop in weight, our bodies hold on a bit, reorganize and do whatever it needs to do, and then it starts dropping again. Keep doing what you're doing--you WILL drop--don't let the scale dictate your plan (boy, is that easy to do--I think especially in the beginning, and probably the closer we get to goal). I was a scale slave myself (still weigh everyday, but don't have the desperation tied to it anymore), and I think it's easy to do this in the beginning because of doubts that may linger in the back of our minds about if the plan is actually working and if we should quit (which I had a little doubt myself). But you'll see--just hang in there, as you are doing, and you will be estatically surprised :).

As for the dry lips, I haven't experienced this nor heard of anyone complain about this--maybe Nancy knows something about this? Hmmm, maybe it's from drinking so much water, because water is drying to our skin/lips if we don't moisturize. I'm a lip balm hog myself, so I already put on lip balm (Blistex conditioning formula is my fav), about 50 times a day--can't stand dry lips or hands! Maybe you can try some lip balm or other lip moisture after you guzzle your water and see if that helps :?:

Okay, gotta run now--have a great week, Julia :)!

Sheryl
Restart: 5/01/05
333/280/155

Original start: 7/13/04-12/12/04
High weight (1997): 386lbs

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby fedup » November 15th, 2004, 8:21 am

Hey there Julia! Like others have said, we all have those slow weeks. For me they are usually followed by really good weeks. You just need to figure out your body's pattern. My weekly stats have been this:
week 1= 7pounds
week 2= 4.5 pounds
week 3= 1.5 pounds
week 4= 4 pounds
week 5=5 pounds
week 6= 1 pound
week 7= 4 pounds
week 8= just starting it! so you see, the weeks I lost 1 or 1.5 pounds were followed by good weeks. I think my body loses well for two weeks, has a slow week, followed by 2 good again... I'm still monitoring this, but I think it's my pattern! You have one too, just stay true and you WILL lose!

Also, I drink more than the 64 ounces of water... I actually make sure I get that 64 in while at work, somethimes even by lunch time, then I just keep guzzling after that and in the evening. More water helps me alot.
Christy 5'5" age-34
Fresh start: Sept. 15, 2005 (240/ 240/ 160)
"Time to 'release the butterfly' inside
fedup
Trusted Member

Postby Sylvia » November 15th, 2004, 9:53 am

Stick with it! I really recommend the book "Success in a Shaker Jar" In it, Linda Spangle describes some of the patters one might see. One of the things she said is that it is not uncommon for the body to take stock week 2 and for folks to see a relatively small 1 or 2 pound loss. If that happens, things should get back up to normal week 3.

I know it can be frustrating, but where else can you los 11 pounds in 2 weeks safely?
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby JuliaMejia » November 15th, 2004, 11:35 am

You guys thanks for talking to me about this problem - I have been feeling like giving up - but I have NOT. I will get a battery for my digital scale later on today, because this other scale is not very accurate. I'm not really seeing any changes since last Monday. I lost 1 - but some mornings I weigh 242 and some 243. Since I have never stuck to anything longer than 3 weeks, I don't know if I have a pattern. I did a 1/2 hour workout yesterday that barely got me out of breath. I think that kept me from wanting to quit when everyone was having dinner around here. Tuesday and Wednesday I am taking the chemo certification classes for my job and that will keep my brain busy. Also I work Fri Sat Sun - I usually lose a little more when I work. Thanks for the inspiration and your personal stories.

JuliaMejia

Postby Nancy » November 15th, 2004, 2:58 pm

Julia,

You have gotten great advice from everyone and I have just a few other things to mention.

Medifast is dehydrating, thus we need to re-hydrate by slurping a lot of water, you may need extra body lotion, facial moisturizer and lip balm!

This is too early in your weight loss phase to exercise, Friend… You must wait until the 4th week and then cut your normal exercise routines in half. Have a shake before you exercise and a bar afterwards. :runner:

Julia, we are going to forget your comment about the 3rd week…you are Medifasting now and a third week bail out is not your option if you plan to be wearing a bathing suit this summer with your kids! Spring 2005 will be a whole new thing for you – so choose wisely every day, especially when the scale is not cooperating. Do not let the number on the scale dictate your day or your feeling of accomplishment. It is an inanimate measurement tool – tools help us but they don’t do the work!

I have been totally program compliant, drinking all my water and yet :shock: I went up nearly a pound this morning. :x Who knows why – it keeps me humble. In the long-run, that one pounder will be long-gone and hopefully it will take five more post-vacation flabbies along with it. :stroll:

Julia, remember, I am just a phone call away and I live very close to you! We could meet sometime at Garrison Square Starbuck’s… :leopard:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby mombarnes » November 15th, 2004, 5:14 pm

I love all these practical tips!
I have a stupid question ... I'm starting week 4 & will probably start exercising a bit next week. I have never exercised except in spurts.
I think I read that I should start with a 10-20 minute walk.
You said to have a shake before & a bar after. Does that mean you'd have both "things" within 20 minutes of each other?
Sorry for the dumb question.
RE-start 14-Jan08
goal 10# = 4 weeks
goal 20# = ? weeks
mombarnes

Postby Nancy » November 15th, 2004, 6:50 pm

Mom, that is not an el-stoo-pee-doh question! There are no dumb questions...

If you are going to do gentle walking for a short period of time, I would have the shake prior to the walk and then wait for a while before you have the bar or another Medifast product.

As time goes by and your weight is lower and you can safely do more intense exercise without hurting your joints, then you would have the shake and follow up with the bar within an hour or so.

I ride a bike for 15 miles, walk very briskly on the treadmill for 30 minutes and after I shower, I have a bar or another shake.

We have a few people on the Forum that do very intense workouts - They must be super people and I don't know how they can do what they do because when I weighed 265, just walking to the bathroom many times a day was a pretty big deal to me!

Your body will tell you what you need. If you feel weak, or out of gas after a workout, then have the bar or a shake right away. You may even want to have a cup of Medifast Fast Soup or a cup of bouillon to replenish your salts.

If you get hungry at all, you may have another shake and it will not slow your weight loss. I know that you have joined us recently and in the early stages of Medifasting, sometimes people experience hunger - so just mix up another shake and slurp it down. If you ended up having five shakes and two servings of soup, you would still be in the fat-burning stage.

Be sure to keep your water intake up! :water:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to The Weight Room