Unexpected Compliment

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Unexpected Compliment

Postby RavenKat » December 2nd, 2004, 9:42 am

Wow!

A guy at work was standing in my doorway as I shook my MF lunch and gave me a weird look. A couple of men on my team joke that the shaker jar looks like a specimen cup so I said, "Lunch." Silence. I told him it was a protein shake. "Oh," he said, politely interested. The other team member with him nodded his head because he has heard me talk about MF before. I said, "I've lost 60 pounds and I need to lose 25 more..." (okay, so I've lost 59 but by tomorrow I won't be a liar) ;-) He said, "Why?! There won't be any of you left!"

I haven't heard anything like that in years! I said, "That's the point!" and laughed. I'm really flattered because this man never says anything silly or just to be polite. He's an engineer and basically says it how he sees it. I'll take an unintential compliment from him over a polite one from some schmoozer any day!

Yay me. :D

Kat
259/180/165
RavenKat
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby smartiegrrl » December 2nd, 2004, 9:50 am

Yay! Isn't that great when that happens? And you are only 25lbs away from goal too. How cool is that? :D
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Marseilles » December 2nd, 2004, 9:52 am

YOU GO GIRL!!!! :)
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby JanTx » December 2nd, 2004, 10:30 am

Okay, this may be weird, but it worked for me....
You know those glass marbles that you put around plants? They come in a net bag and you use them to cover the dirt in a plant or to hold up candles ... kind of like river stones, but colored glass instead...

Anyway ... the last time I was a journey like this I would put one of those in my pocket each day - like a worry stone, I guess. I used it to remind myself of my goals. Then when I would get a compliment like that - or would overcome a temptation - I would put that marble in a cup on my dresser when I got home. It was so encouraging to see them stack up. (start with a SMALL cup - I used a clear votive candle holder).

It worked for me - I'd forgotten about it and will dig out my pebbles again.

Good going RavenKat! Thanks for sharing that.
11/28/2004

50 years old, 4'11"
(See? I'm NOT overweight, just undertall! So I need to be ... 7'2"?)

182/177/124
JanTx

Postby Marseilles » December 2nd, 2004, 10:40 am

Jan, what a novel idea!

Sometimes it is really great to have something concrete like that to gaze at when we feel our willpower waning. I, too, will start something like that; I think.

Wonderful place, this! :)
-M.
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby smartiegrrl » December 2nd, 2004, 11:37 am

When I lost 20lbs I went out and bought a really nice silver necklace and pair of earrings. I wear it when I go out and it reminds me of my accomplishment and that I still have some ways to go. Its literally around my neck. I can't miss it. ;)

I'm not sure what I'll to to celebrate 40lbs. I was thinking maybe a ring or bracelet. :D
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby shineface » December 2nd, 2004, 11:39 am

Kat----

How awesome does that FEEL --- isn't it just the best when it comes at you from somewhere so unexpected from someone that has no ulterior motives - just saying what they are thinking out loud----

YOU GO GIRL!!!!! :cleader:

Can I say that I am very disappointed that I won't get to meet you in Baltimore but I know we too will meet someday - there are just some things you know and I know that this forum (many I hope to meet one day) is better than family - no old baggage!

Question---- if you are at the 60# lost point ---why are you in the 40# club? Just curious.

WE WILL DO THIS TOGETHER!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby RavenKat » December 2nd, 2004, 12:53 pm

18 pre-medifast pounds. If I had been on Medifast at the time I would have lost them in a month instead of the 3 months it actually took! ;)

Unca Tim snuck me up to the 50-pound club once (reading my posts) but I didn't want to misrepresent myself. :oops:

I really wish you were coming to meet us, too! The thought of seeing Leopard Woman in the flesh has really kept me on the straight and narrow this week. And pictures?! I'm already gonna be taller than Nancy and Terry (maybe Gerald) I wanted to be as thin as I could be. ;)

We'll meet someday and compare protruding hip bones!

Kat
259/180/165
RavenKat

Postby Carrie » December 2nd, 2004, 1:00 pm

Kat,

What a neat anecdote! It's AMAZING how much things like that can lift you up. I was telling someone the other day that I want to lose 50 more and they had the same basic response. It thrilled me.

I'm glad you're back in the saddle.

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » December 3rd, 2004, 12:56 am

Oh, Kat ~

What a perfectly wonderful comment and thank you for sharing it with us. It’s just so cool when a beautiful thing like that happens – we can all share in your joy. :cheers:

I always think of engineers as being rather quiet and well, practical. Your engineer must have darts on the back of his shirt for his wings to sprout through! :angel:

When I was a little girl, we lived near the railroad tracks. I looked forward to the train chugging by each afternoon so I could count the cars and :byebye: wave to the engineer and caboose man. They both always waved back. :wave: :wave:

On several occasions, the engineer would toot his horn at me. :boing: It thrilled me and as I write this, I feel special because of what he did. Your engineer filled your tank and it is splashing out on to all of us!

Kat, I am truly looking forward to meeting you.
I'm already gonna be taller than Nancy and Terry (maybe Gerald) I wanted to be as thin as I could be.

:shock: Sheesh! How tall are you?

Well, yeah, you most likely WILL be taller than Terry.
He is tall on the INSIDE! ;)

Spidey is tall, he told me! And you may be taller than Spidey? You WILL surely look thin because you are!

JanTx, cool idea to fill a cup with “remember” stones. When the children of Israel crossed the Red Sea on dry land, the Lord had them build a pile of stones of remembrance.

Terry often buys LW remembrance items – I have a Leopard ring to remember reaching my weight loss goal, I have a leopard slide on a leather necklace to mark the occasion we became Regional Directors; leopard earrings, bracelet and leopard heart necklace as a remembrance of when we became National Directors for Take Shape For Life.

Smartiegrrl, maybe a silver bracelet or ring would be a good idea – you would see it if your hand reached toward :twisted: forbidden grub and it would remind you to stay on the straight path! :star:

Shiney, we’ll have other opportunities to meet.
You are close enough to Kat that you two could meet for a mall crawl.
It’s more fun to shop with a friend – they can run for smaller sizes for ya while your standin’ in amazement in the dressing room in your underdoodies.
It will :shock: shock you to discover you wear a much smaller size. Look what happened to Slender Sylvia!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby RavenKat » December 3rd, 2004, 5:56 am

I am 8 feet tall! Not. :lol:

I am 5'11". I was assuming that I would be taller than Gerald since I am taller than 90% of the people I know. You know what assuming does.....
I don't really notice it until pictures - especially next to people 5' to 5'5" - we look like different species!

I really like the pebble idea. I may adopt it myself!

Kat
259/180/165
RavenKat

Postby explorthis » December 3rd, 2004, 7:36 am

I am 5'11". I was assuming that I would be taller than Gerald

WOWOW 5'-11" WOWOW so cool. I think Spidey is a flat 6', we were talking about it on the phone yesterday.. Cause I am 6'-3".

All I know, is there better be alot of pictures to share, and they better be posted for all of us to see!!

Glad for you!

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby JanTx » December 3rd, 2004, 7:58 am

RavenKat - you and I could be poster children against clothing labels that say "one size fits all". My 4'11" is quite a ways from your size!
11/28/2004

50 years old, 4'11"
(See? I'm NOT overweight, just undertall! So I need to be ... 7'2"?)

182/177/124
JanTx

Postby Nancy » December 3rd, 2004, 9:38 am

No wonder the engineer was ravin' about RavenKat!

You will be at your goal in no time since you are on a great roll down right now. You will look like a tall drink of water in your blue jeans!

Three sleeps 'till I see you!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby LongWay2go » December 4th, 2004, 5:16 am

JanTX, fear not, my height-challenged friend! My dear mother was but 4'7" (and a half, dare you EVER fail to mention that half!) but my father was 6'7". Luckily I hit the higher edge of their average at 6' even. At one point I had photos of my folks when they were first married, her standing tip-toed on the edge of the sofa giving him a kiss, as he bent to receive it. The photos are in my sister's care now, but I always look at them whenever we visit.

~Spidey
08/06/2004
on hiatus until "Vic the Vac" goes away!

WARNING: Don't try this at home, kids...
Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Next

Return to The Weight Room