Treadmill advice

Fitness and Exercise

Treadmill advice

Postby Ketann » July 6th, 2006, 3:06 pm

I posted this in my journal. Hubby decided I deserve a motivational reward gift for losing 65 pounds so far. A treadmill. It is my job to find a good one. Any advice? I saw a Smooth 6.5 that is $1500 that looks good and was rated well, but I'm not an expert. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Serendipity » July 6th, 2006, 3:56 pm

We have a Nordic Trak treadmill that we bought at Sears. It was pretty expensive ($3000 if I remember right), but it works great. You can run up to 10mi/hr on this one. If you aren't planning on jogging (my husband jogs, not me!), though, you probably don't need one with that much juice. Another thing that made ours pricey was that you can hook it up to your computer and go to a website that can give you training routes depending on your level of fitness.......guess what??...we don't use that at all. I just get on it and walk, lol. Oh yeah, it also has a heart rate monitor and a calorie burn counter.

I would suggest that you go somewhere to try them out because they all feel different. Some of the cheaper ones felt like walking on cardboard, while the more expensive ones are like walking on air.....hope this helps.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Jen » July 6th, 2006, 5:26 pm

One suggestion I have is to look into purchasing a used treadmill. There is tons of like-new exercise equipment available, either from private sellers, retail stores, or online from closed gyms. You might be able to afford a better treadmill for the same price as one of a lesser quality.

I Don't know what stores are in your area but Play It Again Sports is an example of a good place to check out.
Start date: 6/22/06 : 36 : 5'7" : 262/190/140
Jen
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Ketann » July 6th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Thanks for the advice. There's a website called Craigslist and I'm checking them everyday for good ones. I would like to get a better one, as I won't be the only person using the treadmill.
Ketann

Postby Amber » July 7th, 2006, 1:05 pm

Hi Ketann-
I have a Smooth 6.5 treadmill, have had it for a little over a year. I like it alot, find it user friendly,etc... I bought mine on Ebay for around $900 shipping included,a friend got the same model for a little less $$ on Ebay, too.
The only thing that I now know is that I didn't need such a long deck. I would have liked a smaller, more compact treadmill.
Hope this helps-
Amber

Goal Met November 1, 2006
#44, 23 weeks
Amber

Postby Mike » August 18th, 2006, 11:28 pm

We got ours at Costco and it works great. paid $799 with the coupon. :mrgreen: Its made by EPIC ;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Aerie » August 19th, 2006, 4:32 am

I have the same one as Serendipity and I have to say it was worth the price. It's really gym quality and very stable. The trac is wide and very long, 7 feet I think. Another plus is that the manufacturer, Nordic Trac, has been around a while so if it needs repair it's not a problem. However if your not 100% that you'll use it you may be burning a lot of money.
Whatever you choose, Good Luck! You've got a nice hubby!
Aerie

Postby Lisa in NY » August 19th, 2006, 8:17 am

I have a less expensive Nordic Track (model 2050) which I got at Sears a few years ago for about $1,000 and I absolutely LOVE it! Make sure you get one with auto incline and FANS - they are wonderful - I turn them on when I'm about halfway through a workout.
"Life's more painless for the brainless"...Scarecrow in WICKED
Lisa in NY
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to The Gymnasium