Advice Anyone?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Postby 24KaratGold » February 9th, 2005, 9:15 am

Even my teenage boys know that, Unca! :D
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Unca_Tim » February 9th, 2005, 9:27 am

I think it's hardwired into us from the womb....:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Sylvia » February 9th, 2005, 11:08 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this and sorry for the radio silence since my initial posts. I got on a plane almost immediately after posting and have been in meetings all day today.

A couple of additional comments. First, this is both an objective and subjective exercise. By objective measures (BMI, body fat %, etc.), I am in pretty good shape. That is really different from being happy with my body. I know complete happiness is unattainable but I guess I think I can get a little closer to my ideal by dropping a few more pounds. I initially thought maybe I could lose any additional weight by dieting (with food) or more exercise but I don't think that will work. Since I know MF does work for me and pretty quickly at that, I figured I'd just stick with what I've been successful on.

Ame - with regard to your comments about the light at the end of the tunnel and needing to watch every morsel that goes into your mouth forever, I guess I both agree and disagree with Mike. Like Mike, not an hour goes by where I don't think about my weight, what I am/should be eating, what impact eating something or exercising/not exercising will have on my appearance, etc. I am scared to lose that focus for fear of going back to the fat place I came from. On the other hand, I have maintained for about 3 months and have eaten pretty normally. I tend to be pretty disciplined during the week and splurge a bit on the weekends. I have had drinks, dessert, pizza, and pretty much everything else I've really wanted - just not at the same time and not in the same quantities as before.

The only fundamental change I've made is that I eat no fried foods and only "healthy" fast food. I don't eat red meat or pork but never did too much before. My biggest remaining problem is that I overeat. I am not a stress eater but I am a boredom eater. I eat and continue to eat when I am not hungry. I have not mastered that problem yet but am still working on it. I also exercise daily. I believe that exercise will not materially help you to lose weight but it is huge in helping you to maintain your weight. The bottom line is that if I exercise regularly and do not stuff myself when not hungry, I can eat anything I want within reason and not gain. That is the objective truth but that doesnt mean I don't obsess about every morsel that goes into my mouth.

Anyway, it's been a long day and I'm starting to babble. I'll keep you posted on how I do when I restart the plan next week.
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » February 10th, 2005, 12:03 am

Sylvia ~

exercise will not materially help you to lose weight but it is huge in helping you to maintain your weight. The bottom line is that if I exercise regularly and do not stuff myself when not hungry, I can eat anything I want within reason and not gain

I agree. Because Medifast is a very low calorie diet, one must exercise to increase one's metabolism, add back foods properly and eat reasonably.

One of the things that attracted me to Take Shape For Life is that I didn't need to exercise for a couple of hours a day in order to lose weight.

At 265 pounds, I was unable to do so. I am always amazed at the Big Girls and Boys who do exercise consistently and intensely. I could barely plod along.

I liked the things I learned about how to be successful once I reached a healthy weight - eating small meals - low fat, low sugar, low calorie but nutrient-dense foods; eating frequently - not saving it up for one big blow out at the end of the day.

It is pleasurable to exercise now.

Eating what you want to eat on the weekends and watching what you eat weekdays is not a bad trade-off for maintaining improved health and a reasonable weight, is it?

Here's to your continued success, Sylvia!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Previous

Return to The Weight Room