Thoughts on Medifast

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Thoughts on Medifast

Postby JanTx » November 30th, 2004, 9:01 pm

I'm on a whopping Day 3, but already I'm surprised about some things....

I had expected to hold my nose and knock back these shakes like medicine. I've found they're quite good. Having an arsenal of add-ins that I've found on this forum helps, but ... the shakes are fine without them. As time goes on and I crave more variety I know I'll rely more on the tasty suggestions I've found here.

I had expected to struggle through the first 3 days, but... I've found them to be very easy. Even though I've had to bake for a benefit dinner - I wasn't really tempted to nibble. Again -- I know I'm in the honeymoon phase and that will be harder later, but... I've had more trouble fitting in the recommended shakes and supplements rather than waiting hungrily for the next one.

I don't like water, but ... I've found that it's not all that hard to get in the recommended amount. In fact, I've found that I'm craving the water. Strange...

I have a strict exercise routine, but ... it has worked out - serendipitously - that the group I water aerobics with isn't able to work out this week ... so that part has been easy as well.

I don't want anyone to know I'm doing anything different until someone starts to notice a difference - so far no one has even asked about my eating - or not. Hmmmm. Having a pretty regular supper with my husband has helped that. And the soup looks fairly right at lunch, too. It's not meals I struggled with, but snacks, impulse, and binge eating.

No headaches. No tremblies. Also very constant blood sugars when I typically have extreme highs and lows.

So ... if you're considering this and wonder what might happen when you start ... I'm here to report ... NOT MUCH!

My scale is dropping 1 - 2 pounds a day (water weight, not supposed to weigh every day, blah, blah, blah). THAT'S ENCOURAGING!
11/28/2004

50 years old, 4'11"
(See? I'm NOT overweight, just undertall! So I need to be ... 7'2"?)

182/177/124
JanTx

Postby Nancy » November 30th, 2004, 9:25 pm

Jan ~ we're expecting that your experience will just continue to be positive! I fooled a lot of people for a long, long time while I was on the weight loss phase. Very few people knew what I was doing - not even my Mom and Daddy!

Once I got close to maintenance and now is when I get the close scrutiny about what I am and am not eating. I also find that people try to trip me up more now than ever before - "aw, come on! You can surely have a slice now - aren't you done with that diet thing of yours?"

BTW, Medifast is dehydrating so you are thirstier than before you used Medfast. As one weans off of Medifast and on to more regular foods, it is really necessary to continue to drink a lot of water. It really is true, that we need 8 glasses of water a day, minimum - Medifasting or not. Backsliders not only choose unhealthy foods, they fail to slurp. :water:

Keep up the great work, Slim!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby RavenKat » December 1st, 2004, 5:55 am

Jan,

How MAHvelous that you are having such an easy time with Medifast!!!!

I found keeping the plan to myself a benefit - no one nosing into your business (whether with good intentions or not). Once I started looking different I would tell people about what I was doing - but only if they asked specifically. Now I tell anyone who'll listen! ;) I'm not done losing but after 59 pounds people start to wonder!

Keep on the good path - you're doing great! :cheers:

Kat
259/180/165
RavenKat
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby shineface » December 1st, 2004, 6:38 pm

Jan ---

You go girl --- the honeymoon is only beginning --- I found I had an easy entry and it did continue - keep posting your positive experience --- it's helping me like you wouldn't believe as I struggle to get it back and keep it back...

WE WILL DO THIS TOGETHER!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby brinkris » December 1st, 2004, 8:29 pm

Hi Jan........wife and I are on day 3 as well. It is alot easier than I thought it would be. Hopefully it will stay somewhat easy..........but if not, no problem...........in it for the long haul.
Have you noticed how many darn food commercials are on television? hahahaha................We have.
Give us a holler if you need anything.
B and K
brinkris

Postby JanTx » December 1st, 2004, 8:49 pm

So many positive thoughts flow through this forum - such a helpful place! thanks to all who offered encouragement.

This has been a hard week - I would have thought that would make keeping to the MF plan harder, but so far -- not so.

I made the desserts for the benefit dinner - no nibbles.

My dear daughter lives 1500 miles away and told me today that she and her husband won't make it home for Christmas. That's a disappointment, but not as bad as it sounds. Her husband is a Marine who finishes his active duty December 30. So they'll moving back to Texas permanently after that. They were hoping they could push that back to Dec. 23, but that isn't going to happen. And .. no emotional eating.

The dear friend the benefit was for ... died yesterday - the cancer didn't get her, but a reaction to the chemo did. 44 years old and 3 kids now with no mama. This is so hard and the memorial service is yet to come ... but ... be still and know, right? ... not binge and blow.

Again ... thanks for the encouragement - and yes, B and K, we're in for the long haul.
11/28/2004

50 years old, 4'11"

182/177/124
JanTx

Postby Karen » December 1st, 2004, 8:58 pm

I am so sorry about your friend. My condolances.....
5'3 50 y/o Married
Started MF 11-08-04
Renewal experience 7-16-05
Karen
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » December 1st, 2004, 9:58 pm

Jan ~

I am sorry to hear about your friend. She must have really fought the good fight and yet, she knew about your love and care for her. The Lord will provide for her children and husband. He has promised to come alongside of us and to be an ever-present Help in a time of trouble.

You are right, binge eating or eating for comfort really does not make us feel better, or comfy, does not help us reach our goals, nor does it change our circumstances.

In many ways, Medifast taught me to talk about my feelings more and to creatively deal with stress in ways that are more healthful.

There is value also in remaining on a fixed schedule. By fueling our body properly and eating healthily, we are better able to handle the biggies without becoming an emotional wreck.

B and K ~ welcome to the MakeMeThinner Medifamily!

Day three is under your belt now (which will soon be tightening up a notch) and you're off to a great beginning.

It is so neat to have a :stroll: Body Buddy walking the weight loss path with you. My husband and I had to turn off the TV when the fooders appeared on the screen! I thought he was fast with the remote Before Medifast but he turned into :lightbeam: Lightning Flickerman those first few weeks!

Shake on, Flab off! :toast:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby shineface » December 2nd, 2004, 11:04 am

Jan---

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend - I always have to remember that if all is said is true, she is truly in a better, peaceful place.
When my husband died it was sudden (age 58) and hearing that didn't chink through for a while - three years later it has come to give me comfort --- too young at 44 - I am sure you will be a blessing to her famiily at this time. They are all in a fog. Take care of yourself for you and for every life you will touch.

On another note, just think how pleased your daughter will be when she comes home and sees you have chosen to get healthier for yourself and those that love you by choosing to put the food down and pick MF up.

My prayers are with you - keep posting...

WE WILL DO THIS TOGETHER!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » December 2nd, 2004, 11:43 am

Jan, My sincerest condolences to you in the loss of your friend. If only we could find a cure for cancer... Her suffering is over now, bless her.

Shineface, my condolences to you too. What a trial losing your mate so suddenly.

Like me, you folks probably also comfort yourself with food. I'm changing that now like Nancy. This forum is such a comfort sharing with others our temptations, trials and tribulations. When something tragic occurs, it really puts things in perspective. Like the book I'm reading by Linda Spangle, the title says it all, "Life is hard, food is easy".

To your perseverence and staying positive,
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby JanTx » December 2nd, 2004, 11:56 am

Thank you all ... I know we all have similar stories to tell.

My daughter is ... my heart walking around outside my body. I wish I'd known when she was 15 - and TERRIBLE - how great she would be at 22! She's the reason I was very strong one other time in my life. When she was 15-16 she was making all the wrong choices - alcohol, boys - ycch. Well, I realized I was telling her to say "no" to the bad stuff the other kids were doing when I couldn't even say "no" to a twinkie or a pizza! Now how much sense did that make? So trying to help her get strong made me strong, too. Well, somewhere along the road she got strong and I got lazy and weak again. So ... restart ... here we go... But if I want to be around to tell my grandchildren all the tales their mother won't want told .. I'd better do something about all this.

And my dear friend did not choose to get cancer ... but somehow I've made choices that have resulted in diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol - the whole package. I doesn't honor any of our loved ones to throw away what they would work so hard to keep.

So .. linking arms with all our medifamily ... onward and ... downward!
11/28/2004

50 years old, 4'11"

182/177/124
JanTx

Postby brinkris » December 2nd, 2004, 1:37 pm

We are sorry for your loss Jan............hopefully a brighter day will shine upon you soon.
brinkris

Postby Sylvia » December 2nd, 2004, 1:51 pm

Jan,

I can tell that you are strong and also committed. I am sorry that you have to go through such a difficult time but am glad that you have worked through the fact that eating won't make anything any better.

We area ll thinking about you and pulling for you.

Sylvia
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

sympathies

Postby hotchick » December 2nd, 2004, 8:08 pm

Jan...I too echo the sympathies of the others.
God will hold your friend in the palm of his hand and she will suffer no more. :)

Keep up the good work and continue to stay strong. You can do this...We can all do this. We are here for you...Our new MF buddy :buddies:

Terri
11/22/04
208.7/184/125
hotchick
Regular Member - #20 Club

Return to Come on in.