Medi-thoughts

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Medi-thoughts

Postby explorthis » February 16th, 2004, 3:39 pm

There is a friend here at work that began Medifast about a month ago. She has (guessing) 50# to go, and has successfully lost about 20# thus far. She informed me this morning that she was thinking about going on the Modifast (I just made that word up) version. I asked what the modified version was in her opinion. She has no Internet access, and only gets snippets from this board as I print them out for her. She does have the handy-dandy little magazine that accompanies her orders, semi-explaining what a modified program consists of. Her idea of the modified version was “going out” every evening with her family. Every evening I asked? Yep. Appears her husband, though vocally supportive, is a food saboteur. He likes to eat, and eat a lot, as most of us do. I gathered from speaking to her, that religiously they go out to restaurants (she has been staying home most of the time from what I understand). She said, it might slow down her loss a bit, but she was “tired” of losing weight at a slow pace. AH-HA! Time for the voice of reason to chime in for her… Let’s look at that 3-4 month period of losing on the “full fast” which she has been on faithfully, versus adding what ever additional amount of time it will require to add calories by eating. She said she did not have the strength to keep on drinking shakes the entire time, and that she had only lost 20 pounds. Only 20 pounds!! Interesting I said, you have lost a pitiful 20 pounds in a month by “shaking”. When was the last time you lost 20 pounds period? Uh… well I did (name withheld to protect the dead) ALL MEAT – ALL PROTEIN – NO CARBS one, and lost about 10#, but was so tired of eating meat, I could not continue. Oh I said, again, when was the last time you ever lost 20 pounds? She could not remember (I was sure she never had)

As I progress into maintenance, and am eating “smart” “regular size” portions of proper foods, I can easily tell, this will be a lifelong battle. I know that I will probably for life be on a DIEt. Call it what you want, food is a thorn in my side, and probably always will be. I have not been at this weight ever in my life (probably passed it like a Corvette running from a Cop during my teen years) so I don’t know what its like to maintain this weight. My idea of food might change later on in life, as I become more accustomed to being at a manageable weight, but for now, all I see is a life of DIEting. Will this be a bad thing? Would I trade this “possible life long diet” for going back to the way I was before – FAT? Never. My point to her was why extend the loss period by going out to dinner with her family, when in fact her husband did mentally understand her “want” to lose the weight, instead of just staying on the Medifast – full fast the entire time. The full fast is not for everyone, some have the strength, and some need the comfort of the added meal. This is fine. It’s your choice. Either one is OK, as long as it’s acceptable to YOU. Weight loss is a boring process, (though the results are orgasmic) and does not happen overnight. I find myself getting bored, waiting for the next meal. I have learned patience and power over food, for the first time in my life, though mentally, I still ocassionally want..... I have learned that those cravings for “something” will pass. I have learned that the meals I consume ARE GOOD, and worth the wait. I have no regrets for making this decision. I feel good for myself, that I have made a conscious decision to change my life.

You heard me say this before? It did NOT happen that I became overweight overnight, and it did not happen that I became a loser overnight. I am maintaining my weight successfully after 161 days today. I don’t know if I am at my desired weight or not. Only time will tell. Be patient. Don’t give into temptation. Do not let food have power over you. YOU are the only one that will know if you are cheating (Modified is not cheating) That candy bar on the table as you pass it will not tell on you if you eat it. Only you create your own circumstance. Create your own.

As for my friend, she decided to stay on the full fast. Hmmm…. wonder if I made a dent in her thinking. She decided that food needed to take second chair to her want to be thin. This was her call, as it is yours.

Thoughts from afar….

-Mike
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby moutoncove » February 16th, 2004, 3:58 pm

Mike this woman has to succeed with a coach like you at her side during the day. Now if you could just follow her home and keep whispering in her ear how good it feels to be thin and to drown out her husband's voice beckoning her to "lets go eat out". It is so easy to give in and lose sight of being THIN. It's a constant battle and you definitely have to keep focused on what you REALLY, REALLY WANT.

You're a great coach.

P. S. I'm anxious to hear what a day on maintenance is like so I'll have an idea what to expect when I get there in 6 or 7 months.

Brenda
moutoncove
Regular Member - #40 Club

Postby muffin » February 16th, 2004, 8:09 pm

I think alot of my over eating was from being bored and depression. Me and my soon to be hubby always went out to eat because we have no family to cook for yet , this made it very easy to go to the nearest fast food joint after work. We both work at the same place and live together . To top it all off my mom owns and runs a small bakery/resturante. She's so busy, we barely see each other anymore. I know it's for the good but I miss her all the time. Plus I've been stress'n about the wedding, buying our first house, that kinda stuff. I'm going through lots of BIG changes.
muffin
Regular Member - #10 Club

Re: Medi-thoughts

Postby Jeanette » February 17th, 2004, 7:20 am

explorthis wrote:As for my friend, she decided to stay on the full fast. Hmmm…. wonder if I made a dent in her thinking.

Well DUH!!!

Great post, buddy!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby shineface » February 26th, 2004, 8:43 am

Mike--

I'm not sure how I missed this post - but today I found it . ;) ... please, please, please don't go anywhere!!!!!! Once again I am amazed at your accomplishment, attitude and also want to got through your maintenance process with you - need to know for future reference.

Thanks for always taking the time to share - you're like, like ah, let me think, - got it- "Medifast Eye of the Great Guy" :roll:

WE WILL do this together!
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Return to Weight Loss