Thinking of starting MF - anyone else with IBS?

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Thinking of starting MF - anyone else with IBS?

Postby Blessedmommieof3 » July 24th, 2006, 4:44 am

I've just totally lost my motivation. :( I did SO good with WWers a few years ago & got down to my "ideal weight" only to get pregnant with my 3rd a few months later & I can't seem to re-gain my motivation to lose it all - AGAIN! I'll start "dieting" and do real good for a few days & then I just totally give up. I'm also a stress eater, for some reason I choose food to comfort me and relieve stress - BAD, I know!

I'm seriously considering ordering a 4 week supply of MF & giving it my best shot, but so nervous. The $300+ is a lot for my family to spend monthly, so I want to make sure that this is something that could really work for me. I'm concerned about the tastes...honestly it doesn't look all that appetizing. ;) I'm also a bit nervous because I have IBS (diverticulitis and colitis as well) and have to really watch what I eat in order to keep it under control. It depends on the day but my tummy can be sensitive to: dairy, beef, artificial sweeteners & chocolate. I guess the main one I'm worried about with MF is the sweetener. Anyone else with IBS? How's your tummy handled MF? (How long have you been on the program?)

I'd like to lose about 40 pounds.
The Journey began July 30th, blogging along the way at Extrapounds*com
Blessedmommieof3
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Sarya » July 24th, 2006, 6:19 am

I used to have all of the symptoms of IBS, but I was not diagnosed due to my overwhelming desire NOT to get a tube camera shoved up my butt.

Anyway.. if I got stressed out.. oops there it goes. Multiple times a week things just weren't normal if you know what I mean.. it goes on and on. All of that cleared up for me on medifast. My gas problem is nearly non-existant. I think I've had a bout of diarhhea only a few times while staying mostly on plan. But I'll tell you. I went off plan for 1 week and it all came back with a vengeance.

So I dunno. I think it will help, but you may want to ask your doctor.
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby smartipantz » July 24th, 2006, 7:01 am

Hi Blessed!

I gained alot of weight through both of my pregnancies (which were 20 and 16 years ago) and yo-yo'ed like crazy, only to creep back up to where I was earlier this year. I, too, am a stress eater!!

I started in January of this year and have found Medifast to be the best. It's so easy and due to this simplicity, I have lost 60# and 7 pounds from my goal. Please take a look at my new Studio pictures and read my story there.

As far as the IBS, I have a client that has it and she has RAVED about how much better she has been doing on this. If you'd like her email address, please private message me and I'll get you in touch with her.

I hope you decide to join us in our battle to lose weight - just look at the successes on the boards - we are all "losers" :)

Smarti
Restarted 9/29/08
1st month = 16.7 lbs
2nd month = 9.5 lbs
3rd month = 10.8 lbs
4th month = .4 lb /
smartipantz

Postby GucciGoo » July 24th, 2006, 8:19 am

I have IBS.

Medifast has pretty much cured it.

No more diarrhea at all. Plus, I eat onions, peppers, caulifower, red meat... all the things that are my IBS triggers--and only have had some constipation. Which is MUCH better.

I was scared to try it, too for the same reason as you. If I knew that Medifast would cure my IBS, I would have started way sooner.

The ONLY things that have EVER caused a MINOR belly ache were the hot drinks- hot chocolate, chai tea, etc. But nothing else.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Sarya » July 24th, 2006, 8:27 am

Oh yes BB, that's right.. the hot drinks cause me some issues which is why I don't have them anymore. The cream soups as well. I believe everything else in the program is low lactose which might be why.
Sarya

Postby Blessedmommieof3 » July 24th, 2006, 11:55 am

Thank You all SO much for your feedback & inspiration! :D

I'm honored to join you all here as I embark on this new journey - I'm ordering my first order now! My husband leaves for Iraq on Friday, so this is the perfect time to start.

Thanks again!!
Blessedmommieof3

Postby mellowmom » July 24th, 2006, 12:40 pm

Welcome...

Just wanted to add an additional comment. I was never diagnosed with IBS, but had all the symptoms. I remember before MF thinking that I'd never be able to sit down and have a "normal" meal without paying dearly for it afterwards. I mean it seemed that after each and every meal I ate, I'd wind up with gas, abdominal pain, the "galloping cruds", and just to keep it interesting some really nasty acid reflux. (And yet...I STILL ate like there was no tomorrow...how addicted was that???)

Since Medifast that has all changed. I can eat peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, all the "stuff" that used to put me over the edge and "nada"...nothing...no reaction, no rumblies in the tummy anymore. I can drink the hot drinks, but I do have to be careful with the "fruit drinks"...don't know why that is, so I just avoid them.

At any rate, welcome. Glad you've decided to join our merry group of Medifasters...

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Aerie » July 24th, 2006, 4:29 pm

I have had IBS for years. Medifast hasn't really affected it one way or the other.
Aerie

Postby DogMa » July 24th, 2006, 4:41 pm

BTW, it also usually costs less than $300; more like $200 a month, I think, plus a little extra for lean and green meals (but those can be pretty inexpensive).

I'm glad you're giving it a try. If it doesn't work for your IBS, you can always return the unused stuff. But give it a week or so and see how you do.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » July 24th, 2006, 10:26 pm

If someone is following the 5 + 1 plan it usually costs at least $275 unless they have been in the Be Slim club and are getting discounts through there or are not ordering the recommended 22-23 boxes.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Blessedmommieof3 » July 25th, 2006, 2:30 am

I was just rounding up. :D The recommended 20 boxes to get me 4 weeks was about $281. I was originally thinking shipping was only free on my first order, so I was thinking it'd be the $281 + shipping to Hawaii. :shock:

My first order was nearly $400, because I ordered more than the 20 boxes so I could try out most of the different foods, plus I got the book and the recipe guide.

I'm really exicted to get started...just have to wait on my box to arrive.
Blessedmommieof3

Postby Elidh » July 25th, 2006, 7:01 am

Bless you and your husband for yuor service to the country!

Welcome to Medifast - you are right to be excited! It is an awesome program and you'll be pleased with the results!!
Elidh

Elidh
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Re: Thinking of starting MF - anyone else with IBS?

Postby Rachel » July 25th, 2006, 7:26 am

Blessedmommieof3 wrote:I've just totally lost my motivation. :( I did SO good with WWers a few years ago & got down to my "ideal weight" only to get pregnant with my 3rd a few months later & I can't seem to re-gain my motivation to lose it all - AGAIN! I'll start "dieting" and do real good for a few days & then I just totally give up. I'm also a stress eater, for some reason I choose food to comfort me and relieve stress - BAD, I know!

I'm seriously considering ordering a 4 week supply of MF & giving it my best shot, but so nervous. The $300+ is a lot for my family to spend monthly, so I want to make sure that this is something that could really work for me. I'm concerned about the tastes...honestly it doesn't look all that appetizing. ;) I'm also a bit nervous because I have IBS (diverticulitis and colitis as well) and have to really watch what I eat in order to keep it under control. It depends on the day but my tummy can be sensitive to: dairy, beef, artificial sweeteners & chocolate. I guess the main one I'm worried about with MF is the sweetener. Anyone else with IBS? How's your tummy handled MF? (How long have you been on the program?)

I'd like to lose about 40 pounds.

I just wanted to mention about the cost of medifast - If you add up all the money you would've spent on groceries and expensive meals out at restaurants, it really evens out. it isn't more money if you really sat down and figured out how much you spend on food each month already.
Height: 5'8"
Dress Size: 12
Rachel
Regular Member - #60 Club

Postby Blessedmommieof3 » July 25th, 2006, 10:51 am

I just wanted to mention about the cost of medifast - If you add up all the money you would've spent on groceries and expensive meals out at restaurants, it really evens out. it isn't more money if you really sat down and figured out how much you spend on food each month already.

Thanks Rachel - I was only figuring in my groceries - but man sometimes my family gets carried away with the eating out & it ADDS up quickly! (sucha waste too!) If it works for my like it's done for SO many others, it'll be totally worth the $$!
Blessedmommieof3

Return to Come on in.