TGI Friday's

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

TGI Friday's

Postby GucciGoo » January 26th, 2007, 9:10 am

I know I am a sucker for punishment by asking this, but what is safe to eat at Friday's tonight?

Don't worry, I won't tell you what I ate afterward just in case!
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby mellowmom » January 26th, 2007, 9:20 am

HI Beth..

I've eaten at Friday's before, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was I ordered....(i know, I know...big help!)

But what I've found works well is to just go up on their website and check out their menu beforehand. You can then figure out what entree is the most compliant and what you need to ask of the waiter to change/add/remove from the dish in order to make it "legal". That way there is no "pressure" to decide, or get sidetracked by what the others in your party are ordering. Figure it out before hand and stick to it. Sometimes operating on "automatic pilot" is the only way to make it through a lean and green meal at a restaurant.

Take care, and good luck.

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Taangrl21 » January 26th, 2007, 9:48 am

I just looked at the menu. They have a couple Low Carb options that sound yum.I think when i go to any restaurant I stick with a meat/poultry and steamed veggies or a salad.When I go to Chilis I get the Jack Daniels flat iron steak, which does have some bbq on it, and steamed brocolli. They have stuff like that also at Fridays. I also have my unsweet tea w/sweet n low. I tend to stick to the grilled items. I think youll be fine.And i hope you enjoy what you choose. :)
Taangrl21

Postby GucciGoo » January 26th, 2007, 9:53 am

Hmmm. I wonder how bad the JD chicken would be?
GucciGoo

Postby Taangrl21 » January 26th, 2007, 10:19 am

They have NO nutritional info...how dumb.

From there TGIF Menu:

LOW CARB
Limit your carbs, not your lifestyle.

SIZZLING CHICKEN & BROCCOLI
A sizzling skillet of onions & peppers together with garlic-marinated chicken breasts over melted American and Mexican cheeses. Served with a side of broccoli. NET CARBS: 17 (Cut 5 carbs by skipping the peppers and onions.)

SHRIMP KEY WEST
Skewers of seasoned chargrilled shrimp topped with a sparkling citrus splash and served with a side of vegetables.
NET CARBS: 12

I dont think the steak and veggies would be that bad. I have had it and I have still lost.Plus I enjoy it.And I eat the veggies instead of the yummy taters,that type of dish always seems to come with...

Cant find nutrtional info at Chilli's either,just wanted to compare. Grrrrrrr....
I tried. :)
Taangrl21

Postby Taangrl21 » January 26th, 2007, 10:20 am

ooops...didnt realize you said chicken...well even the JD chicken and veggies would probably be better than the steak...sounds yum...
Taangrl21

Postby Lauren » January 26th, 2007, 11:27 am

Hey, Beth-

Don't overthink it or the menu. Just ask for grilled chicken with steamed veggies (or grilled veggies, very dry). If they tell you that it has to be off the menu, tell them whichever dish looks closest to getting that, but then tell them no sauce, no rice, no fries, etc. Basically, what I order in restaurants has pretty much nothing to do with their menu. I look at the menus, to see if anything fits, but if it doesn't, I create my own dish.

The key here is that the calories and fat are in all the sauces, oils, sides, and extras. The actual items, whether it's fish, chicken, shrimp, and then the veggies, are all good, it's how they cook them. I assume JD chicken means Jack Daniels? Skip it lady. You can order it, but tell them to leave off the JD and grill the chicken as dry as possible.

Or, you can get a salad with grilled chicken and/or shrimp in it - but make sure to say NO CHEESE, dressing on the side, and make sure they don't have croutons and other various "throw ins," which turn a salad into a dieting disaster.

Go simple, Beth. Tell the waiter (in a cute eyelash batting way) that you're going to be slightly annoying, but promise that you'll HUGELY appreciate his/her help, and then smile! Do not assume that the meal will be appropriately made unless you ask for it. And then it will!

Fridays should be fine to accomodate you, you will not be the first, I assure you!

Have fun!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby GucciGoo » January 26th, 2007, 11:34 am

SIZZLING CHICKEN & SHRIMP
Sautéed garlic-marinated chicken breast with onions and peppers paired with zesty shrimp in a Roma tomato-basil salsa. All served over sizzling American and Mexican cheeses with a side of our signature mashed potatoes.

I wonder if I could get this without the cheese and potatoes???
GucciGoo

Postby bikipatra » January 26th, 2007, 11:38 am

DarkAndStormy wrote:SIZZLING CHICKEN & SHRIMP
Sautéed garlic-marinated chicken breast with onions and peppers paired with zesty shrimp in a Roma tomato-basil salsa. All served over sizzling American and Mexican cheeses with a side of our signature mashed potatoes.

I wonder if I could get this without the cheese and potatoes???

Sauteed usually connotes using a grease to do so in, like butter.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby bikipatra » January 26th, 2007, 11:41 am

I looked it up to be sure:
sau·té (s-t, sô-) KEY

TRANSITIVE VERB:
sau·téed , sau·té·ing , sau·tés
To fry lightly in fat in a shallow open pan.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby GucciGoo » January 26th, 2007, 11:44 am

Oy. Maybe I will just sip on some ice water and watch DH have steak and potatoes. Eating out is such a pain in the ass.
GucciGoo

Postby bikipatra » January 26th, 2007, 11:48 am

DarkAndStormy wrote:Oy. Maybe I will just sip on some ice water and watch DH have steak and potatoes. Eating out is such a pain in the ass.

Just ask for no grease and no sauce!
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Serendipity » January 26th, 2007, 11:50 am

All you have to do is ask them to cook it with no added butter of fat. If they balk at that, ask them to use a little chicken broth. But usually, they'll just do it for you.

You could also ask them to grill it instead of saute.

I think the Key West Shrimp would be a good choice or any of the chicken cooked special order. There's even a Flat Iron steak the would work grilled.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby mellowmom » January 26th, 2007, 11:55 am

Ack!! I just looked up Chili's Citrus Fire Chicken and Shrimp and it came out at 720 calories, 27g Fat, and a whopping 2990 mg of Sodium!! Now I don't know what sides that includes but WOW anyhoo.

When I plugged in Chili's Citrus Fired Chicken and Shrimp Fajitas w/no tortillas it also came out at 720 calories, 42g fat(!) and 2960mg of Sodium. Must be the oil and the marinade that the protein is prepared with that makes the big difference in Fat.

I know at Chilies I try and stick to the grilled chicken fajitas. Only 330 calories, 11g Fat, but still a huge 2080mg of Sodium.

Best thing is to tell the waiter exactly how you want it prepared.

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom

Postby AmandaRose » January 26th, 2007, 12:26 pm

This topic is way too tempting for me!! I have chosen to stay away from all restaurants like a black plaque while on MF. I don’t trust them to cook for me because I really don’t trust my own MF L&G cooking at this point.
I only use PAM to cook with I wonder if I could bring that in and ask them to cook with that LOL that would be funny... I just have no idea what i would order.

I had to do an assignment for a nutrition class once that required me to list everything I ingested for 1 week and calculate it all at the end to see what I was getting too much of/too less of. I know in Nevada the state requires that all restaurants supply nutritional information, you just have to ask. Chili's was one of the places I ate at during that week and they brought me a big book. You might try just asking for there nutritional guide there if you are on the spot.

And my advice is to leave out everything but the LEAN and GREEN. I.e. Plain Meat, as plain as you can get them to make it and steamed veggies. I wouldn’t even get a salad if it were me because the dressing choices are not good I am sure. But that is just me and I am a little over cautious.
AmandaRose
Regular Member - #50 Club

Next

Return to Weight Loss