Tawanda

1 Thread per registered User.

Re: Tawanda

Postby Tawanda » April 3rd, 2010, 8:20 am

I did not weigh myself this morning. Trying to change my focus from the scale to what I'm consuming. I was so focused on getting the pounds off for so long, now I have decided to work on monitoring my weight via healthy foods in appropriate amounts (on program L & G), weaning myself to a point where the scale number stays a tool I will use during long term maintainance-but not the only tool. I've not done so hot on maintaining any loss when I only focused on the scale numbers. Now, it is difficult to describe what I'm working towards, but more of a whole body, whole package (mind & body) change. I'm sure that is not at all clear, LOL, but I'm on a mission to change me/my thinking & actions on a bit deeper level than what I've been doing with the scale for so many years.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Tawanda » April 5th, 2010, 5:43 am

148# this morning. I'm working on the plan (working on convincing myself) to only weigh on Monday mornings. LOL We shall see if I can stick with the plan. It is easy to avoid the scale when I'm not doing so great sticking to program, but when I'm program compliant, it is very difficult to not weigh myself daily. I'm working on staying 100% compliant and staying off the scale. This is almost as hard as compliance alone. ;)

With as quiet as this site is, I'm guessing that everyone is fighting their overeating habits. It is a struggle for those of us, who are use to giving in to any and all food desires. I hope you (and I) will find the strength to care enough about our health to give up the dependence on using food to soothe us.
Tawanda

Postby oksoonergirl26 » April 5th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Yep, Easter candy, along with Halloween and Valentine's candy are my downfalls....it's not an excuse it is what is. I have been trying to combat the overeating with massive amounts of exercise, which works to maintain my weight but nothing is coming off. However, I know that until I cut back the calories it isn't going to happen. I too believe this is whole mind/body thing and you have to have it all together for it to really work. I don't think I will ever be able to go back to 5 and 1, but I am incorporating the things I learned from the program into my daily life as much as possible. I need some meal plans to set boundaries for myself, the sad thing is that using the MF supplements are so much simpler than buying and prepping my own meals.
3/18/09
228/175/125
oksoonergirl26
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Tawanda » April 6th, 2010, 6:49 am

I stayed off the scale today! (Hey, I'm taking a victory whenever possible!). I'm admitting to being a bit pleased with myself for avoiding the scale...after all, I'm often found saying 'if you follow the program the pounds will come off'.....time to rest, relax and allow those last 7# to COME OFF!!! LOL

My mother is feeling well again and my brother is feeling more positive as the date for his radiation treatments schedule nears. I'm feeling less stress when those around me feel better.

Hope all are doing well.
Tawanda

Postby Tawanda » April 7th, 2010, 5:54 am

Stayed off the scale again this morning but was very tempted to peek and see 'where I was at'. Amazing how much I base my success of the previous day on what that battery operated piece of metal displays! Abdominal pain and various other problems the past few days, time for fiber supplements.
Tawanda

Postby DogMa » April 8th, 2010, 3:26 pm

Funny, I just mentioned you on my NutriSystem boards (I still hang out there even though I haven't been on the program in ages). Someone just joined one of my groups on there, and her username is TaWanda (she says it's not her real name, either; I think it's her horse's name).

I'm glad to see you're back at goal!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Tawanda » April 10th, 2010, 5:54 pm

DogMa wrote:Funny, I just mentioned you on my NutriSystem boards (I still hang out there even though I haven't been on the program in ages). Someone just joined one of my groups on there, and her username is TaWanda (she says it's not her real name, either; I think it's her horse's name).

I'm glad to see you're back at goal!

Thanks Robin! 'Tawanda' was the battle cry I thought of when signing on to this forum. I've come across a couple more people with that sig line on different forums and wondered if it truly was someone's real name. Guess it is possible.

147.5# this morning when I finally stepped on the scale.
:wave:
Tawanda

Postby oksoonergirl26 » April 11th, 2010, 7:21 pm

One of my mother's friends is a Tawanda-no joke. Her mother's name was Wanda and her dad was Thomas-it was a compromise.
3/18/09
228/175/125
oksoonergirl26

Postby Tawanda » April 13th, 2010, 8:30 am

150.5# (I had a run in with carbs :shock: :twisted: )

Yesterday was an excellent, on program, day and today is going to be another 'excellent, on program day, too.

I am not at all comfortable with the thought of transition and maintenance. The idea of leaving the safety of the 5-1 program is scary to me as every time I have made food choices on my own, they have been poor choices. I've never decided to have off program bites of a banana or apple......or chosen to have an off program meal of plain oatmeal (non-medifast oatmeal) or something obviously healthy. I've reached for sugary, white flour or fatty foods----I've not gone for healthy, I've gone for 'tastes so good I'll have 3 helpings' foods. Trigger foods, poor choices on the best of days and foods that I'd be embarrassed be caught eating if my health coach were to appear. ;)

On my own, right now, I would not maintain my weight loss well (heck, look at those 38# I regained). I have so much work yet to do on my thinking and relationship with eating. I'm not ready to leave the safety of MF behind and I think that might be a part of why I've made sure I've never reached my 'goal weight'.

I need to quit worrying and thinking about screwing up in the future. I need to focus on following the program, getting to a weight that is appropriate for 'me' and then I need to follow the Transition portion of MF as outlined in the program materials, again remembering to not worry about 'how I'll keep the weight off' - just continuing to follow the instructions on how to transition.

Anyway, I'm working on getting back into ketosis.......again. :3head:
Tawanda

Postby oksoonergirl26 » April 13th, 2010, 6:46 pm

I think you just read my mind! That is exactly how I feel about this. I haven't done well on my own. I want to eat carbs, lots of carbs. I haven't had hardly any vegetables in a couple of weeks. I thought I could handle-I can't. I am going back to the center on Thursday and talk about doing 8 more weeks of 5 and 1 and then transition with the center's help. I know this won't ever get easier, just maybe my tastebuds will calm down.
3/18/09
228/175/125
oksoonergirl26

Postby Tawanda » April 14th, 2010, 6:25 am

OKgal-----I wish you the best as you do the 5-1. You are close enough to your goal that you could be there by June (my guess) if you are able to buckle down, stick to the program 100%.

I am at the 147# goal, but I keep thinking I *need* to lower that goal weight. Maybe I need to lighten up on myself and just be content at this weight, not worrying about losing more-instead focusing on ~maintaining~ the weight I have lost. My endocrinologist told me over and over, even showing me my BMI, that came up when my height/weight was entered into their computer database, that I am at a healthy weight-that I do not need to lose more. I wanted to be rid of all the fluff that I see in the mirror--but maybe that fluff needs to go away via time, exercise and long term toning exercising instead of 'weight loss'. I am just not ready to leave the safety of the 5-1.....although as often as I'm consuming off program foods that doesn't ring true. Ugh! I'll figure it out ..... hopefully soon. :3head: :3head:

The doctor also mentioned 'food addiction', that the chemicals in some people's brains were more easily influenced by certain ingredients and that those people have a very hard time stopping eating once we have those ingredients. I have a hard time believing this might be the truth for me, only because it sounds like a cop out on taking responsibility for my actions. But, why else would I feel out of control at times with my eating and then feel so empowered/strong and able to resist any thoughts of those same foods when I am on the 5-1 and have cleansed my system of those items? (sugary/sweet, simple carbs--he mentioned that even the 'diet and sugar replacement sweetners' have the same effect on people's brains....making them crave more and more of those foods).

Lots to think about and research.
Tawanda

Postby oksoonergirl26 » April 21st, 2010, 5:53 pm

Hope things are going well with you and your family!
3/18/09
228/175/125
oksoonergirl26

Postby Tawanda » April 22nd, 2010, 1:42 pm

Thanks Oksoonergal. :) I'm spending my days watching grandchildren and fighting the urges to eat off program. Some days I win, some days I lose. The days that I lose are make me feel so disappointed and angry with myself. Foolish choices for foolish reasons (in hindsight). I have this *I do not CARE!!* attitude most of the time when I choose to eat off program. Such immature, spoilt brat thought processes and choices made way too often. Just when I think I am past the emotional over eating....it comes right back to smack me in the face and let me know that I don't have a darn thing licked forever. Maybe some day......for now it is an ongoing battle.

Weight 150.5#
Tawanda

Postby katieb920 » April 25th, 2010, 5:50 am

Wow T, That must be really hard with all the grandchildren around. And with them having all of there favorite snacks and all. You can do this MS T you have done it before. Hope you have a great weekend.
Katie
katieb920

Postby Tawanda » April 25th, 2010, 7:50 am

Hi Katie!

152# :oops: :x :3head:

Beginning this morning, I am back to writing down everything I eat. I have lost my desire to maintain the weight loss and am at that dangerous spot of "I don't care" again. My jeans are getting tight and my muffin top is more pronounced. My clothing is definitely for a body that is 145# and 152# is pressing my luck for comfort or looks. 5# leeway....ha! I've hit that limit so it is time to make sure the scale does not go any higher.

I've struggled so much with what is an appropriate goal weight. 135#? 140#? 145#? 147# The doctor said that 147 was great and a healthy BMI, that I did not need to lose any more. I felt that being smack in the middle of the BMI range would be best and that would be at 137#. My clothing fits best when I'm at 144-145# and is not as comfortable, does not look as nice, when I am 150# (or 152!). Clothing sizing dictates that I'm either 140-144#.....or at 152# I need to go up a size in jeans. Goal weight will stay 147# I guess......and I just need to make sure that I stick to my goal weight.

I know what to do.....why I do not follow my own advice and do it? I do not know, do not understand. I'm a food-aholic and eating is my escape mechanism. I need to find a healthier release for stress. Ha!

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Tawanda

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal