Supplements, Bad for your liver....?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Supplements, Bad for your liver....?

Postby CarmenM » January 14th, 2006, 6:29 am

Hello Everyone!!!!

Ok.. so… since I began Medifast I have not really gotten negative feedbacks from others (except from my future mother in law) until now… Yesterday I was at my friend Vanessa’s house and somehow it came up that I was on a diet.. so he asked me “Oh, so what do you eat all day” and I began to explain to him my whole schedule and I then pulled out a packet of oatmeal and showed him exactly what I was taking. He then says “OK, first of all you need to get off these supplements and second of all these are bad for your liver and kidneys” I then asked him if he knew more then many Doctors out there and he said YES because he had taken many classes on health and that he had lost weight the right way! LOL.. He thinks too much of himself.

Ok, so I don’t really pay to much attention to him or anything that he says because there is no arguing with him, he is ALWAYS right so I just brushed it off. But he did sort of get me wondering about the supplements and if they really are bad for your liver and kidneys. Does anyone know anything about this…Just wondering out of curiosity?p
Thanks!
~Carmen~

CarmenM
Regular Member - #60 Club

Postby Serendipity » January 14th, 2006, 6:48 am

Carmen, I don't have any specific information about the liver, but I don't think John's Hopkins University Hospital would put their stamp on, much less prescribe something that is bad for your liver, lol. Tell your friend or better yet look up the JHU study results and show him that. Then ask him for HIS data. If you stand up to someone like him, many times they back off. They don't like to be questioned.
:lightsword:
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby falisamarie » January 14th, 2006, 8:27 am

Carmen-

I personally have kidney problems and I went to my doctor and he is the one who recommended this program to me so I really would not worry. I trust my doctor completely and know that he monitors my health very carefully and would not prescribe a product that would affect me negativly.

I have an exhusband who like your friend always has to be right and I found that with those typed of people it is best to just ignore them!

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Thanks for reply

Postby CarmenM » January 14th, 2006, 9:48 am

Hey Guys.. thanks for replying

Serendipity I totally agree with you now the thing is making him agree LOl.. Actually, don't really care if he agrees or not, as long as i know that MF is affective and SAFE and i have no doubt in that!! I was just wondering about weight loss supplements in general (not MF).. has anyone heard of them affecting your liver or kidneys? Because Mike was saying that if you take them for to long it can be bad... Good thing we can stay on MF for as long as we want!

YES Ignore them!!!!! I agree with you too Lisa.. That's what i did.. i'm just like.. "Ok Mike...your smarter then all the physicians out there, good for you!!" LOL I just let it go.. there was no point to argue about it.

Vicky, i can't wait till i get to goal! I know i have a long way to go but the important thing is that i know that i'll get there.. We will ALL get there!!

Hmm... and about :shoot: them.. the thought was crossed my mind a couple of times.... I wonder.. are you really kidding? LOL :)
~Carmen~

CarmenM
Regular Member - #60 Club

Postby Hyperion » January 14th, 2006, 10:50 am

Lol Carmen I get a lot of comments like that on my diet.

- EATING NOTHING? ARE YOU INSANE!!!

- You pay 400 buck a month for powder??????????

- Never thought about sport and exercise????????

- Those VLCD diets are bad and does not make you learn about how to eat properly.

- Oh, your shakes seems disgusting!

And the best comment I had:

- See how those supplements affect your breath? You are rotting from the inside! (indeed I have bad breath usually because I keep my mouth shut and before MF I had this problem, always used to chew gum and brush teeth 3-4 times a day, so with ketosis breath it's even worse!)

You know what Carmen? Those people make me laugh. Some quotes I mentioned come sometimes from obese people who are in denial, some other times from people who eats 6-7 times a week at Mc Donald's and weigh 110 pounds (let's never forget thin doesn't always mean healthy), from people who have never been fat, or from people who are just afraid of the unknown.

The night, when I get home, it makes me laugh. Because now, and even more pretty soon, I'll slap them in their face. Not with my hands, mind you, but only with me in their sight:

They said I would fail, I succeed. They said I would have health problems, I'm gonna go in a couple months with this one guy and beat him to badminton, volleyball or whatever. Then bring in his argument from months ago. I'm gonna go with this one person who said my shakes taste awful to Tim Hortons and buy him an iced cappucino and replace him with a swiss mocha shake with crushed ice (really no difference!). Then bring him his past argument.

I will breath heavily in the face of the persons who said I was rotting inside, when I finish MF. I will bring healthy salads and food at person's places if they invite me for dinner; those same persons who said I was eating bad. Then I'll tell them that their food contains x fat, x carbs, and tell them it's really hurtful for their health (I plan to do that only once :shock:).

And also, I'm gonna recommend MF to anyone who has a similar problem to mine (not 20 pounds overweight, I'm talking about 50+). It worked for me, I'm not ashamed I did that, in fact never felt better!!

KETOSIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
264/150
Began: 2005-11-03
Finished: Never

Went to 150, then began gym to build some muscle; currently 173.8! (Need to cut some fat)

<b>Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.</b>
Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » January 14th, 2006, 10:54 am

Wow, read my post and I'm really on fire :D
264/150
Began: 2005-11-03
Finished: Never

Went to 150, then began gym to build some muscle; currently 173.8! (Need to cut some fat)

<b>Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.</b>
Hyperion

Postby falisamarie » January 14th, 2006, 11:05 am

Yes hyperion you are definetly on fire!!! But seeing your before and after pics I think it is clear to everyone why you are on fire!!! I love your attitude and your determination it is so motivating to us newbies and to everyone else.

Keep up the great work you look phenomenal

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie

Wrong Information

Postby Jan » January 14th, 2006, 1:50 pm

There's a saying " a little information is a dangerous thing" I think this may well apply to your "well intentioned friend" hmmmm I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt :D
You've gotten lots of great answers so I'm not going to say more . Just this: diabetics most likely have the most issues with their organs. It's the nature of the disease and guess what program was tested last June at Johns Hopkins against the American Diabetic Assoc diet?? And which program came through with flying colors and showed the most benefit to our diabetic friends. Yup MF enough said!!
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Gwenski » January 16th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Carmen,

If I was heavier, I would volunteer to sit on your mouthy "friend" for you. We could all dog pile him? My doctor gave me a total thumbs up and I have known the man since I was in 2nd Grade (33 years young NOW!).

Sometimes when people don't understand or are not so edumacated they pop off and say the darndess things. Ignorance is bliss for those in that catagory but they hurt the rest of us.

Did youread Hype's posting? He was such a shy and quiet thing and now he is ON FIRE!! Don't get the water out - we like him like this!! He's HOT!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Gwenski

Began July 6, 2005 & Originally lost 131.19#'s
New Start Date: November 8, 2008
Gwenski

Return to Weight Loss