Success or failure? Need a dash of advice....

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Success or failure? Need a dash of advice....

Postby nickieluv » December 29th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Hi - I posted all this in my journal but I had some questions and I wondered if anyone would be willing to offer an opinion?

I got a gift certificate for a nearby restaurant for Christmas and we used it tonight. I ordered a plain steak, salad with low-cal Italian, and sauteed vegetables.

The steak was listed as 12oz so I immediately cut it in half and saved that, and the salad, for tomorrow's L&G. But the sauteed vegetables had broccoli, zucchini, yellow beans, and carrots. I ate all of it. The amount was within the guidelines but the actual vegetables weren't, and the way it tasted I'm sure it had tons of butter or something on it. I knew I shouldn't eat it but with every bite I was rationalizing how it wasn't THAT bad, it was vegetables, and restaurants probably use real butter so there wouldn't be extra carbs (just tons of extra calories!!!).

So I have already slipped up. Tell me if I'm beating myself up over nothing, though. If it was a bad choice, so be it, but if I'm wrong I'd like to know for next time something like this comes along.

And for tomorrow - the dressing looks to be about 2-3 tablespoons and I took all the "stuff" off the salad (I don't like it anyway, except croutons, and those I can't fool myself into thinking are OK!), and the meat did not have any extras at all - no sauce or anything - so am I OK to eat that tomorrow, do you think? Or should I give it to my husband and have something else? (You should have seen what I had to watch him eat tonight - mmmmmm - but I resisted that entirely!!)
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Re: Success or failure? Need a dash of advice....

Postby BerkshireGrl » December 29th, 2006, 8:41 pm

Hello there Nickieluv! :)

Ok, in my opinion, your mixed veggies were not strictly on plan due to the mixed-in carrots and possible butter. (Yellow beans I think are like green beans so are ok? I think.)

Your leftover 6 oz. of steak, which is probably closer to 5 after cooking, and your salad with low-cal Italian sounds perfectly a-ok and in line with MF guidelines.

I would say you are doing very well and certainly should not be looking for a frying pan to bonk your head with. ;) I mean, some carrots and butter are not on-plan but then, you're learning as you go along and there are much, much worse mistakes to be made. Like a croissant could have leapt onto your plate or a mud pie, ya know? :lol:

Enjoy that steak and salad! :bib:
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » December 29th, 2006, 8:51 pm

I agree. It wasn't strictly on plan, but you did OK. The carrots have extra carbs, and most likely the low-cal dressing had sugar, so you MIGHT not be in ketosis, but you're probably OK.

In the future, I'd suggest just asking for steamed veggies without butter, though. Most restaurants will be happy to accommodate you. If they can't, you can always just stick with steak and salad.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby nickieluv » December 30th, 2006, 8:11 am

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, next time I will know to ask how the food is prepared, and ask them to make changes if needed. Such a simple thing to do, but I've never done it before!

Today I felt really good when I woke up, so I think maybe I didn't mess up the ketosis thing? I hope not, anyway. Thanks again!
nickieluv

Postby Mike » December 30th, 2006, 1:07 pm

I think you did okay (especially for going to a restaurant). Sounds to me like your leftovers are fine. Don't beat yourself up.
The question to ask yourself about ketosis.... are you hungry and do you have no energy. If you notice that you are hungry alot and your energy isn't up... that may be a sign of being out (but not always). Just stick to the plan, and everything will fall into its proper place.
;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby nickieluv » December 30th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Well, I don't know about ketosis.

I woke up not hungry, but that's not unusual. For meal 2 I was dying. Meal three was late because of a nap, so I pretty much ate as soon as the baby and I woke up, and I'm not sure if I was hungry or not. Now it's less than an hour until meal 4 and I'm not dying like I have been. So maybe? But it's only day 3 so it may be too soon to know for sure.

Tomorrow is New Year's Eve (not that you didn't know that) and I've had to beg off going to a party with my brother and his wife. I hope they won't be mad. I didn't want to say it's because of a diet, but I know it's too soon for me to test myself at a party. Not drinking I could explain, but not eating? And I'm just not ready to be strong and deal with questions. Plus, staying up very late would mean I'd need more meals and I just don't want to deal with special situations yet.

This became sort of journal-ish so I guess I'll copy it over there and keep going. Thank you all for the feedback!
nickieluv

Postby bikipatra » December 30th, 2006, 3:20 pm

I said no to the one holiday party I was invited to because I just didn't want to be bothered yet with temptation-booze or food. Also, I went to the same party two years ago and I knew NO ONE and it was a bore. I am a scintillating conversationalist and it was still a snooze. I just told my husband no but that he was free to go by himself. He admitted he really didn't want to go either.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby nickieluv » December 30th, 2006, 5:46 pm

Well, I'm playing a wedding tomorrow evening, too, so my husband decided to go over on his own with the baby while I'm at the wedding, and then we'll just stay home. His way of making everybody happy. I don't know if I should feel stronger than I do, but I really want to make the right choices this time and I just don't have faith in myself that I could handle that challenge yet.
nickieluv

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 31st, 2006, 11:50 am

I think you did well. I eat out at restaurants A LOT and used to be uncomfotable asking how things were prepared too. I now tell them what I want/what I NEED and they're VERY ACCOMODATING!

As for skipping the party, that's up to you, but if you're worried, it's good that you're skipping it. No need to be miserable wanting "things" at the party. The more you lose, the better you feel and the less you want those things. Me myself, I don't want to slow down the MF train, so those things aren't as appetizing (vodka incident excluded!)

DeDe
Last edited by dede4wd on December 31st, 2006, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby nickieluv » December 31st, 2006, 1:22 pm

Well, the party wound up being a non-issue - it was cancelled anyway! Woo hoo!! I guess I should feel bad for anyone else who was looking forward to it, but mostly I'm just relieved that I don't have to go AND I don't have to explain why to anybody.

I think I can definitely do parties in the future - maybe with 20 pounds or so (no longer) under my belt to help me stave off the munchies. Just wasn't ready right now. Thanks for the support!
nickieluv

Postby Diana » December 31st, 2006, 4:49 pm

Ok, a little too late, but here goes:

I vote that you've been SUCCESSFUL!! (I think that makes it unanimous so far?)

Well done, nickieluv! Keep up the good work!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Return to The Weight Room