Stuck in the Middle....

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Stuck in the Middle....

Postby mellowmom » April 20th, 2006, 10:57 am

Between 307 and 309. :(

For the past week my weight has fluctuated between 308.2 and 308.9 according to my cursed digital scale. Grrr.. :twisted:

I can't believe I've reached a plateau so quickly! Yet, as I recall in past reincarnations as a" woman on a weight loss regime", 308 seems to be some kind of "magic number" that my body refuses to budge from.

Please send some kind, inspirational words this way 'cuz I'm failing fast here. Mom sent me out on a mission to get her some spaghetti and meatballs from our local Italian restaurant last night around 9:30PM and I nearly passed out in ecstasy from the fumes of the garlic bread and spaghetti "aglia olio" (my faves ). :goldprowl:

I so wanted to grab a piece of bread, possibly slurp a noodle or two.

By the time I got home and brought it to her, I nearly threw it at the poor woman. When I'd calmed down I tried to explain to her how hard it was for me, everytime she asks me to go to a restaurant and bring her spaghetti or pizza, or apple fritters from the local bakery in the morning. Part of the problem is, I think, that she usually asks for this food really late (between 8:00 and 10:00PM) in the evening and that has always been when my resolve is the weakest and my tummy is the grumbliest. :table:

I know she's not doing this on purpose and she says she understands but... Mom is 85 years old and suffers from mild dementia. She won't remember our conversation from last night and sometime later this week will probably set me off on another "midnight ride". :burnout:

Wow...did I get off track or what? Sorry, about that. Thanks for letting me vent. And, again pray for me. The spirit is willing but the body won't cooperate. :?

Carmel :help:
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Serendipity » April 20th, 2006, 11:12 am

Carmel,

This may sound strange or wierd, or whatever, but it has really worked for me. My hubby gets me to pick up pizza sometimes.....always a favorite. The car fills with that garlic/sauce/pepperoni smell. While I'm driving, I just imagine the taste. Of course I remember it well. It's not hard to actually feel like I'm tasting the pizza. Our memories are really amazing, when you think of it. Anyway, by the time I reach home, I've had my fill. I mean it's like my mind believes I've had pizza, because I don't want anymore......I know I sound like a freak, but it's really true.

I've been especially good at remembering the taste of chocolate, because the girls at the office usually have a daily fix. I just think hard about what it tasted like and I feel satisfied.

Sometimes, when someone brings something gooey and baked to the office, I ask if I can smell it...I take a big whiff and remember the taste and texture. It pleases me and has -0- calories!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Jan » April 20th, 2006, 11:14 am

Ohhhh My Goodness
Trapped in the car with the delicious smell of spaghetti and garlic bread. :? You give yourself a big pat on the back you did it :D :D --- you got it home without gobbling. That is quite a victory. :D You'll make it. :D
Now as to the weight just staying at about 308 or so..... I'd just keep right on program. Be very very compliant and pack up that scale for awhile. It can be discouraging. :x But don't fear when you follow the program and just keep going the fat gives up!!!! You'll see the white flag waving and the fat going. It will!!!!! I've had periods of time when I had to pack my scale away. Either than or throw it through the window -- which I didn't think my hubby would appreciate at all!!! Keep posting and let us all know how you're doing. You are not toooo far from the 200's and I'll bet you'll be there quite soon. Of course with that nasty old scale packed away for awhile -- you won't really know --- but you will be!!
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby falisamarie » April 20th, 2006, 1:44 pm

You will be in my prayers and let me tell you a little secret. When I was first on program my hubby ordered in a cheesesteak calzone...my favorite and I locked myself in my room and cried....more like sobbed, but, I got through it and now those cravings are not nearly as hard to resist. We will have to be around food throughout our lives and this right now is our time to learn how to deal with food in a proper manner.

Hang in there, you can do this

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Arklahoma » April 20th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Carmel ~ Sorry to hear about your struggles. I was a caregiver for my mother before she passed, so I can "somewhat" understand what you're going through. Of course your mother won't remember your conversation, so best just to keep battling the olfactory demons on your quest to be the best daughter in the world.

Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » April 20th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Hi Carmel,

I feel your pain, sister. Last night, I drove one of my co-workers through Taco Bell (AKA taking a drunk through the Jack Daniels factory...) late at night. I had my head stuck out the window just like my Akita used to when we went to the drive through! I only stuck my nose in his bag once before he took it away from me...the whiff was good enough for me...I went home and made an oatmeal.

Don't even talk aglia olio to me! Bucca di Beppo is probably going to have to close the local restaurant without me! Oh well. Nothing tastes as good as I feel right now!

As for your plateau...push through it, show your body who's boss, that you're serious, this time is different. My body tried that trick a couple of weeks ago, trying to make me quit and I wasn't putting up with it! I just kept my chins up and I pushed past it in two weeks. Was it hard? Yes. Was it worth it? Totally!

Keep your chins up and we'll be here to support you!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby vacationak » April 21st, 2006, 6:46 am

I'm with Serendipity. I do fairly well imagining the taste, but am having some problems with the crunch (popcorn!). Somehow, this is satisfying and comforting.

Carmel - I firmly believe our bodies have weight levels they are comfortable with, and for a while the pounds refuse to budge. When they finally do, I find they come off faster for a while. Be ready for a good drop soon.

Would it be possible to get your mother two meals at one time and put one of them in the freezer? That way, while you might have to reheat it for her, you wouldn't have to go into the restaurant, with its smells, and then be in the car with it all the way home.
vacationak

Start 1-15-06 145
Start MF 2-3-06 135

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
vacationak
Regular Member - #30 Club

Postby Allison Onederland » April 21st, 2006, 9:22 am

Carmel, does your car have a trunk? Put the food in there and keep a little can of air freshener to spray in the car for the ride home. Maybe that will help a little. No sense torturing yourself with those yummy aromas!!

As for the plateau....hang in there. You and I are walking the same path right now but at least we are going somewhere...even if it is slowly! I've only lost 5lbs in the past month. I'm ready to chuck the scale in the trash! The only thing keeping me going is everyone here on the forum, my intense desire to be thinner and healthier and the fact that my clothes are getting looser despite what the scale says. Stick with the plan, come here when you are frustrated and let all your medifast friends help you along.

And remember, as Her Leopardness always says, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"!! It works for me! :thumbup:
Allison Onederland
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to The Weight Room