Stove Top Preparation

Add your favorite recipes.

Stove Top Preparation

Postby VictoriousNat » August 26th, 2006, 1:44 pm

Hi all,

Newbie question: Is stove top cooking okay? I really don't like microwaves at all. Can I just prepare the soups and such in my little glass saucepan? I also like to cook the soup in the water I steamed my veggies in for the L&G, so if I can stovetop instead of micro I'd be happy. I can save my soups and oatmeal for when I am at home and take the shakes, bar and hot cocoa to work. :D

edited to add: how long should I stove top a soup? I added some Mrs. Dash extra spicy.
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby bdg » August 26th, 2006, 2:27 pm

I know I have read that others stove top it, but I personally don't. You should be able to though. As for the length of time to cook, someone else will have to answer that for you. Good luck, and keep on losing!
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Postby Elizabeth » August 26th, 2006, 3:50 pm

Hey Nat! Thinking of you on your first day. :)
I make all my soups on the stove top.
I add water (usually lots) and then mix in the powdered soup mix. Bring to a boil and then simmer.
Chicken noodle simmers for about 5 minutes.
The minestrone, chicken and wild rice and chili take a bit longer.
The cream soups...I add powder to bowl, add a little water and make a paste and then add boiling water to paste. I doesn't clump this way. You can put the spices in the water or in the soup mix before adding water.
The spices I use in everything is....
Mrs. Dash Table Blend (nice and fine..very peppery)
Cayenne pepper
Chili powder
Morton's lite salt
I'll probably try some more spices soon.

Have a great rest of the day.
Elizabeth
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby VictoriousNat » August 26th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Thanks bdg and Elizabeth! I feel better now. I stove topped the soup and it came out great with the added spices. I really am so encouraged because I am finding it all palatable so far. I was really scared. Thanks for thinking of me, E. It's now 7pm and I feel ok.
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
VictoriousNat

Postby bdg » August 26th, 2006, 5:15 pm

You will do great! I was super skeptical when my girlfriend found the program, and now I am a believer. It took tasting the products to be sure I wanted to do it, but everything is just fine! I like it so much, my entire family is on it now.
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg

Postby Aerie » August 26th, 2006, 8:06 pm

Stove top all the way. I add boullion to all mine (in addition to spices).

If you do chili it takes about 15-20 minutes to really get right. Believe me though it's so good. Add tabasco, salt, pepper, garlic. Add just a bit more water then called for and simmer on low stirring about every 5 minutes.
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby VictoriousNat » August 26th, 2006, 8:50 pm

drmjwdvm wrote:Stove top all the way. I add boullion to all mine (in addition to spices).

If you do chili it takes about 15-20 minutes to really get right. Believe me though it's so good. Add tabasco, salt, pepper, garlic. Add just a bit more water then called for and simmer on low stirring about every 5 minutes.

Thanks, doc. I totally messed up the chilli. I only cooked it for 7 minutes and used too much water. Thanks for the tip. I will try again tomorrow.
Nat
Start 8/24/06
VictoriousNat

Postby beeah_b » August 27th, 2006, 11:09 am

VNat, I have a pdf Medifast file that lists all the stove top directions and microwave directions on one sheet. Email me w/ "StoveTop" in the subject line and I will be glad to send it to you. My email address is my user name here with atYahooDOTcom following.

p.s. I love the chili runny so it's like soup. Also like to add small amt of finely chopped steamed cabbage to it to fill up the volume. Cayenne pepper & I'm set. making me want lunch now! :eat:
Going to restart Jun 2009, been gone since after surgery Oct06. Can't wait !
beeah_b
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Return to Lean Cuisine