Still all good in maintenanceland...

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Postby Serendipity » February 8th, 2008, 8:32 am

Me too, me too! Thanks for the detailed sketch of what the aftermath has been.

I've been so on the fence about it and I still am, but this is helpful. I really appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule, Lauren.

I was going to give myself a year to think about it and the result of that is that I've kind of gotten used to my skin. It has shrunk (shrinked?, lol) up some and I'm sure if I was your age I would feel differently, but somehow, though the aging process is a bit premature for me, I'm ok with it for now. Hubbie doesn't seem to mind it and except for my arm flaps, it's covered up even in a bathing suit.......dunno, I guess I'll never say never.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Lizabette » February 10th, 2008, 6:21 pm

LAUREN, Thank you for the update.
I have to say you are one brave lady and are handling this situation so gracefully.
Please continue to let us know how you do.
We will all breathe a big sigh of relief when you get through the not-so-good after effects of your surgery.
And witness the awesome results of same.
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Lauren » February 11th, 2008, 8:03 am

Thanks so much, Holberry, Jo, and Liz! You ladies are awesome!

Jo, it's truly a "to each his own" kind of decision. Like I've said before, I am not particularly a big advocate for elective plastic surgery - but, yeah, at 32 years old and single, I'm thinking I need to put as many eggs in my basket as possible. And while I found the excess skin and the breasts that lived in another hemisphere all kind of amusing, somehow I am thinking most potential suiters would not. It's one thing to already have a loved one (spouse or partner) who has seen you through the process, from obese to thin--because they know where you came from, and can accept the current body issues as all part of the success story. But that's not the place I was/am in, you know? And don't get me wrong, I still have the excess on my arms and thighs, this was just an ab/breast surgery, so it's not like I am a tight little bitty now all over!

But this will improve my quality of life in little ways - not having to wear an undergarment body shaper every day is huge - especially when packing to go on trips- they take up a lot of space! :-)

Anyway, thank you to all of you who have continued to show me so much support and kindness, it's very much appreciated!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby DogMa » February 11th, 2008, 8:42 am

I don't think anyone faults you for having the surgery, Lauren. It's a personal decision. I remember the photos ... LilMissTexas? Christie, I think? ... posted, and I could certainly understand her wanting to get rid of that. I'm sure everyone who saw those photos could.

Heck, it sounds like I have way less excess skin than you did, but I've still considered it. But I'm WAY too squeamish. I had a breast reduction ages ago (which was MUCH easier), and that's about where it ends for me. I just suck it in and keep hoping for a miracle. :lol:
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Lauren » February 11th, 2008, 9:30 am

Thanks, Robin. Yeah, a miracle would be great! I'll sign up for that, too!

I totally didn't realize I sounded like I was defending it (but I can see how it sounded that way), I actually wasn't, I was just commenting on what made me take the leap instead of just dealing with it.

I'm the opposite of squeamish - I am fascinated by the way our bodies work, how surgery works, and how the process comes together. My surgeon is so amused by how I watch all the procedures - I am obsessed with Discovery Health (and all those surgery shows), and I even watched him as he re-cut me open on Thursday to reinsert a drain up into my body! Yeah, a bit of sicko I am, huh? :-)

I think it rocks that you don't have all the excess skin, because you are able to take more pleasure in the end result, you know? It was hard for me to do all the ab exercises, but never get to see the fruits of my labor. Hopefully I will (when I get back to exercising) sometime soon.

Oh, and I totally considered a breast reduction many times in the past, but I was still fat during those times, and most doctors agreed that I should lose weight first, to see what was "really" going to be there if I were thinner. Well, I found out soon enough - pancakes! hahah

Cheers,

Lauren
Lauren

Postby DogMa » February 11th, 2008, 10:21 am

Yeah, I had lost weight before that (several times), and was very unhappy because I looked so lopsided - and so much heavier even when I was pretty tiny.

I still don't see much in the way of results from the abs stuff, though. The top ones are visible, but those bottom muscles are still buried. But whether it's skin or fat, I just don't know for sure. It bugs me, but not enough to put myself through surgery. (Plus I realize part of it is still my own perception. My stomach's nowhere near flat, but still, it can't be THAT bad given the size jeans I wear.)
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Lauren » February 21st, 2008, 9:13 am

Oh Happy Day, Oh Happy Daaay! (singing)

Guess what I got to do this morning? First time in 6 weeks and 3 days?

I WENT TO THE GYM!! YIPPPEEEE!!

Not only was it the first time since the surgery that I went to the gym, it was actually the first time I even put on my running shoes. My surgeon told me that while I was allowed to walk these last few weeks, it was only to go "to and fro," not for exercise, and since he's a runner, and understands the compulsion, recommended I didn't even put on my running shoes this whole time! :-) Anyway, I went back at the crack of dawn this morning, got on that treadmill, and, and, and, well, I walked. Haha Can't exactly start running after surgery and 6 weeks of pretty much no exercise, now can I? Ahh, but a girl can dream.

Anyway, I walked a little over 3 miles, on an incline (not too high), at a steady pace. And while I was bored (because I wanted to run, or at least break a real sweat!), I was thrilled, and can't wait to go back tomorrow!

The most amazing part about it is that I instantly felt better about myself getting dressed today for work (after the gym), the same glow I had achieved when I was running daily. It's a combo of the endorphins, and really, I think, just knowing that you're doing something good for yourself.

Well, life is grand.

Hope all of you are kicking butt and taking numbers!

Cheers,

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Tawanda » February 21st, 2008, 11:32 am

Lauren, I couldn't help but smile as I read the happiness in your post. :) Glad that you've been given the go-ahead to begin doing your exercise.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda

Postby Lauren » February 21st, 2008, 12:03 pm

Aww, thanks, T.! Yeah, practically jubilant!

Cheers!
Lauren

Postby DogMa » February 25th, 2008, 11:53 am

Oh, I'm so jealous! It's only been a week for me, but it's KILLING me to not be able to work out. Stupid flu. Must mean I'm getting better, though. ;)
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Lauren » February 27th, 2008, 7:38 am

Ha. You know, Robin, I find it such a relief that I "missed" exercise! There was a small part of me that was terrified I would really enjoy the time away from the gym, and perhaps begin to regress into my old tendencies of inactivity. It sounds like you're the same, that this has truly become an integral part of our lifestyles that we need - we may not always get excited to work out, but we recognize all the benefits that come from it.

I will say this - the endorphins alone make for a better day. As soon as I started exercising again I felt happier and more energetic. It was an instantaneous response. Gotta love a natural high...

Cheers!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Tawanda » February 27th, 2008, 8:28 am

I've been struggling for months now and the hole I'm digging for myself just seems to be getting deeper instead of improving......so......I think it is time for me to see if I can change my thought processes, my feelings, my attitude by beginning to do more activities----i.e. exercise. I hope that I will follow in the footsteps of so many here, that I will love the feelings that I get when I move my body and become more fit. Many, many years ago I attended (and loved) daily exercise classes, ran every weekday morning (at 5 a.m.) with a friend and was 'fit'. I did love it, and I did miss it when we moved out to the country where driving into town to meet with others to exercise just wasn't feasible (cost and time-wise---we were building a home and all extras were given up).

So...time to get off my bum and begin. (I'm going to put this into my journal also).
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda

Postby DogMa » February 29th, 2008, 1:30 pm

You can do it, T. And Lauren's right; I may not always enjoy it and I may not always want to do it, but I DO enjoy the feeling I get afterward. I just feel better all day, and I think starting with something healthy like that helps me make better choices all day long.

I thought I'd enjoy the time off, too. But I'm hating it, and I have to remind myself every day that I can't get on the treadmill or pop in the DVD. I can barely walk down the hall right now.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Lauren » March 12th, 2008, 11:18 am

Hello, hello! I'd apologize for being a little MIA on the boards the last couple weeks, but since I don't have a journal, I'm not sure anyone's noticed! :-) Ha. No, that was not a plea for attention, just had a moment of awareness!

Anyway, all is great. Since my last post I've been exercising daily, running alot, and like I said in Robin's journal, I'm up to about 6.5 miles per run now, hoping to hit 7+ next week, and would love to be back up to the 9 miles and speed I was at pre-surgery by sometime next month. I'm not pushing it in any overly aggressive way, just a little improvement each time. That's the best part about running, you can literally get better -faster and longer - every single time you run! It's so cool.

Healing post-surgery has gotten MUCH better since I started exercising. I am sure people won't believe this, but it improved the swelling situation immensely - perhaps I just needed to get the fluids flowing, and then they did? :-) I am still swollen in the lower ab/pubic bone region, but that's to be expected, since the drains were there so long, and the wound is not completely healed. Still have some swelling in the upper abs region as well, but inifinitely less than a couple weeks ago, so I am pleased.

Life is good - aside from craziness at work, converting to a new crm software system, which has made us all insane. Literally. Insane. Hence my lack of posting. But I promise that I am still happily maintaining (and actually dropped a couple pounds), and life/exercise/eating are all smooth sailing. Don't confuse smooth sailing with easy, it's not easy, it's always work, but it's worthwhile work, and I will continue to work it every day, for all the days to come...

Cheers!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Grayson » March 31st, 2008, 12:01 pm

Hi Lauren! I've been gone for a while now, going through some changes, but I'm back and wanted to check in with you. I'm going to take some time at some point this week to check out this thread--it looks like it's your post-surgery thread? I'm interested to see how our surgeries relate!
Grayson
Regular Member - #120 Club
Regular Member - #120 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance