Still all good in maintenanceland...

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Postby Lauren » August 15th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Oh! No wonder you were asking...I didn't realize you thought I'd had arms and legs done. I did not. I only had the excess skin removed on the stomach/abdomen, and then had the breasts returned to their regular scheduled programming (i.e. no more national geographic). :-) I didn't do the arms and legs because all the consults I had resulted in the surgeons telling me the scars would be awful, and that I should wait as improvements to those surgeries could be coming down the road, and I'm too young to commit to scars that are so obvious.

Well, that explains why folks want pictures, they think scars are in "public" areas!

I just posted in your journal, btw. Thinking of you.

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby jayzoe » August 15th, 2008, 2:03 pm

So did you just get loose skin removed from your tummy or did you do a muscle repair too? Partial tummy tuck or full? Sorry to bother you with it, but I'm seriously considering an abdominoplasty and am full of questions! :D
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight -- Proverbs 3:5-6
jayzoe
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Lauren » August 18th, 2008, 6:24 am

Hey, Jayzoe -

I didn't need muscle repair, because I had been working out/exercising/running so regularly by the time of my surgery that my muscles were pretty hard core, so I mostly just had a whole lot of skin removed, and then had my breasts lifted (also had skin removed from that). I didn't have any lipo or anything else.

And the truth is that I am not actually a big fan (for me, personally) of cosmetic surgery. I don't care what other people choose to do, but I never was a person who thought I'd get work done, I don't have any future interest in Botox or eyebrow lifts or boob jobs or lipo or any of that. But the reality is that what I was left with on my body post weight loss was both physically problematic, making being very active quite difficult, AND just rough on my psyche, in that I had done all this wonderful work and was left looking like a melted candle. I am thrilled I had the surgery, and don't regret a bit of it!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby jayzoe » August 19th, 2008, 5:58 am

Hi Lauren! Just wanted to say that I really do appreciate your advice... even though I'm going to (in the words of Phoebe from Friends) "big fat do it anyway" :lol: I honestly appreciate your feedback and letting me know how you feel since you've been thru this!

I generally have a hard time communicating with people :oops: but what I'm trying to explain is that I feel so incredibly discouraged with losing all this weight and still having this flappy belly that I feel like "what's the point?" and right now, I feel that either I have the surgery and get it done and continue on with maintenance or I just give up completely and gain it all back. Out of those choices, I'd much rather have the surgery and get on with my maintenance and my life, ya know?

Theoretically I know that I have the power to NOT do that, but emotionally it's a whole other ball game... I can't tell you how empowered and relieved I feel about finally having made this life altering decision to have the surgery, it's making me stay on plan even more than EVER before, carefully monitoring every single bite that goes in my mouth whereas before I was sort of slip shod "oh those extra two carbs won't hurt" or "that extra condiment won't make a difference" when they DO, ya know?

anyway, just wanted to let you know that I seriously do appreciate any and ALL advice from everyone, even if I don't happen to agree with them, ya know?

*hugs*
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight -- Proverbs 3:5-6
jayzoe
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » August 21st, 2008, 3:51 pm

Hi Lauren,
I'm just catching up with your wonderful, inspiring story!

D
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Lauren » August 28th, 2008, 2:14 pm

Hello, hello! I realized how quiet it's been here on the forum, and also that Robin is out for a few days, so, since we don't have a lot of action from maintainers here, I will try to be more available in case there are any newbies or whoever who need to know what a miracle Medifast can be.

When I was on the full 5&1, it always helped me to hear from Nancy, and how she'd been successfully maintaining her loss for years. Well, all you folks out there, whether you're newbies, re-starters, or right in the midst of the process, you all should know and/or be reminded that this plan can and will change your life, if you let it. And it can be a permanent change. Is it easy? Not always? Do I have days that are harder? Absolutely. But in every day that I eat well and clean and exercise and live and enjoy this new life, I appreciate it fully, and remember deeply from where I came.

Embrace this, folks, the control is in your hands, and you DO have the strength to use it. All you have to do is want it enough.

Do you want it enough?

Lauren
Lauren

Postby katesmom » August 31st, 2008, 5:48 pm

Thanks Lauren for posting this message.
I really needed to read it tonight and think about what it actually means...
356/331/150
Started 7/24/10
Can't wait to WIN this race !!
katesmom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Lauren » September 22nd, 2008, 7:05 am

Morning, MF gang! Hope you all had a great weekend!

It's been PERFECT weather here in NYC these last few days, I just absolutely love the Autumn in the city. If any of you haven't experienced it, book your trip!

Anyway, things are great in my world. Happily maintaining, and actually had a rare thing happen this weekend on BOTH Saturday and Sunday - I wasn't thinking about my next meal the whole day. You see, I am vigilant about my every 3 hour eating, even now, after all this time. But I recognize that there are probably many times I don't actually need to be eating then, that perhaps I'm not even hungry, it's what I jokingly call "proactive" eating. But I had a medical procedure about 10 days ago which has made me not allow to exercise for these last 10 days (which tortures me), so I need to scale back my eating during this time. Well, strangely, the last couple days I wasn't on schedule, but not in a bad way, more in a "wow, what a pleasure to not be as entirely food-dependent as I thought I was" way. Does that make any sense? It won't likely last, as soon as I start running again my hunger goes into over drive, but it was fun to experience it nonetheless!

Everything else is great, hope to see more action here on the boards!

XOXO

Lauren
Lauren

Postby nickieluv » September 22nd, 2008, 9:08 am

Not thinking about food? And in a good way? That's great!

I 'forget' to eat a lot, but then when I remember it hits me like a ton of bricks and I'm ravenous (and dangerous).

I'm sure it's killing you to not exercise - hope the days go by quickly so you can get back to your runs and workouts.
nickieluv

Postby katesmom » September 22nd, 2008, 3:58 pm

Sounds great Lauren !
Can't wait for the day when I will not be food dependent and can feel "free" like you !

I have a greater determination now that Fall is here, and don't want to be lugging around 150 extra pounds in the snow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for writing here when I guess it would be easy to not even bother.

I need to know that it CAN be done and since Biki and Jo have left, you and Robin and Lizabette are it !!

By the way, where is Sojo???????????????? I feel clavicles !!!!!!!
356/331/150
Started 7/24/10
Can't wait to WIN this race !!
katesmom

Postby Tawanda » September 23rd, 2008, 5:29 am

Lauren, glad to see you. I hope your recuperation will be swift so you can get back to your exercising.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Lizabette » September 27th, 2008, 8:07 pm

Hey LAUREN,
Just stopping by to get an inspiration fix from you!
I'm doing good near goal weight. It was two years Aug. 31, when I reached goal. YAY!
I'm exercising moderately 5-6 days a week at the Y...water aerobics and walking the track with hubby dear.
Hope you are able to get back to your beloved exercise soon. Keep well. :heart:
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby DogMa » September 29th, 2008, 8:49 am

Shana tovah, Lauren! May your name be inscribed in the Book of Life.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Lauren » October 2nd, 2008, 7:14 am

Hey, people!

Belated shana tovah to you, too, Robin, thanks so much!

And Lizabette, it's awesome to hear from you!

Yup, it's dead on here, but I am hoping if enough people complain about it being dead, it will inherently become less dead! :-)

Silver lining?

Love to you all!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Lauren » November 6th, 2008, 7:19 am

Good morning, MF folks! Hope all is great in everyone's world!

Sorry I've been slightly delinquent on my posts (not that anyone notices or even scrolls down to this section, but if even one person is looking for some extra maintenance support, I'm here, I'm here!). All is great in my world, actually, have just been ridiculously busy!

I still make time to scroll the journals a bit, not nearly as much time as I should, and I always mean to post replies, but then get tied up in some other activity. I've been working like crazy, as most folks are, in this economy we have to work three times as hard to get the same results...so if I want better results, I have to work FOUR times as hard! haha

The eating is still going really well. I actually strangely dropped a few pounds (unintentionally, which is very, very, very rare), the last couple weeks. The only thing I've changed really in my eating is that I am using a lot more cinnamon (I thought that was a b.s. thing, but I think it works!), and a slight change in my favorite NYC treat - Tasti D-Lite, where some of the locations got bought by a different chain, The Lite Choice, which is more frozen yogurt vs chemicals, and my body seems to like it more! Seems odd that those two tiny factors could impact anything, but I really didn't change much else, so it's all I can think that would have made the difference.

Anyway, no big deal either way, I am sure it will fluctuate back up in a few days, and as long as I stay at or below my goal, I'm cool with it. I still weigh every day, but don't have any emotional attachment to the number, just use it as a measuring tool, letting me know if I need to tweak anything, reign anything in, or loosen my plan...

So, that's it. Life is grand. This country is grand. I am a very happy camper, and if that hits home for anyone reading this who also appreciates the fantastic events of this week, then I am very pleased to share in that joy with you.

Cheers!

Lauren
Lauren

PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance