Still all good in maintenanceland...

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Still all good in maintenanceland...

Postby Lauren » October 12th, 2007, 7:09 am

Hey, gang!

I have been a bit remiss this last week or two in posting, and while I haven't been a daily poster since even before I hit goal, I worry that if I don't drop by frequently, people will think I've fallen off plan.

No worries! No falling. Still all good in maintenanceland!

Still doing my crazy running thing. I wish I could say I was one of those zen runners who just goes off into my own lalaland and doesn't realize how far I'm running, but I am the opposite. I am aware of every step, every calorie I'm burning, every mile I complete. I love the run for the symbolism - that it's something I could never do while fat, and that every step I take is a step towards improving my health and fitness, and a step AWAY from who I was. So, whether I am running outside by the river or park or inside on a treadmill, I am completely focused on time/calories/mileage all the time - and I like it! Yes, I sound totally OCD. No suprise. Ha! My long runs keep getting longer, I am just about scraping the 9 mile mark, but I have been doing a lot more speed and hill work recently, trying to mix it up, change the pattern, keep the ol' body guessing, and it's fun!

If I have a day where I just don't feel like running, I don't torture myself, I do the elliptical instead! I have weird OCD things on the elliptical too. Like, I love hitting number goals - getting to 10,000 strides was supercool, don't know why, just liked it! I do speed intervals on the elliptical, and continue to try to increase the resistance as well. Whatever works!

Food is pretty darn consistent, no surprise there. I don't tend to mix it up, especially on the weekdays, but the weekends, what with brunches and dinners with friends, the meals vary, but while I allow myself more flexibility with types of foods or a little bit of sauce or such, I still don't do the totally off stuff like desserts or bread or anything. It just causes me anxiety, and I like the feeling of control over my eating - I get stressed that if I jump off into "that other world," there may be no going back. Hey, it's totally possible that I'll be fine and able to control it, but what if I'm not? And, the way I see it, since I truly do love and enjoy the healthy guilt-free foods, I'd rather just stick to them and be content in my sense of control.

Will this change down the road? Maybe. But not necessarily. I have found it is truly easy to eat anywhere and make healthy choices that don't include sweets (candy, chocolate, cake, ice cream) or bread/rice/pasta. I have incorporated sweet potatoes into my diet, but pretty much only as a post-run high-carb fuel food, not generally as part of a dining experience. Someone offered me some butter-free popcorn yesterday, and while I absolutely can have that, I am thinking it might be atrigger food, because there's no way I'd ever be able to only eat the allowed serving size - I used to go through an entire microwave bag without thinking!

So, yes, I am doing great, feeling great, um, well, I guess looking great (you know what I mean), and emotionally sound and stable, but I still have to be vigilant about food, and I think I always will. That's just a reminder to any of you who think they just want to get to goal and won't have to think about it ever again - lucky you if it's true, but not likely! :-)

Ciao, people!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Hyperion » October 12th, 2007, 8:23 am

Lauren, let me answer to this thread as I think it applies to me too!

Gotta love running too! I bought a dog last year, Jack Russell breed (those things are FAST), and I run with him a few times a week. I even do rollerblade and he keeps up with me. Those beasts never are tired. I have to learn from them :)

Now let me share my experience with the dark side of the food. For more than one year I was a control freak with food (no offense, it's actually a compliment)... I allowed myself sometimes off foods, but I was greatly in control of quantity. However, I've been doing gym for about 2 months now, and I lost this control. You know, the "post-workout urge". From there, when you eat "off" one time, you do it twice, then often. Then, you make yourselves excuses, saying you'll do more training, how you are hungry now and need more food to compensate for cardio, etc etc... It's crazy how you can fall off rapidly!

That's where I am now. As you saw in the pictures, I'm not "fat", but I took some weight (actually 25 pounds), which some of them is muscle and some of them is fat! What I want is to reduce the fat I have (clearly visible to me around the belly!!!!!). I think the key is to come back to my strict nutrition control I had before (I say strict but you and I both know it's just a habit question). When you get used to eat healthy, you don't crave anymore for sweets.

Keep us posted and all other comments are welcome. It may be awkward, but this forum is more than helpful when thinking about nutrition control... In front of bread or sweets, I remind myself "Hmmm what would Lauren, Jo do?" or "Oh, gosh if I slip, I'll have to explain myself and I'll get scolded by my MF buddies!"

Keep up the good work ;)
264/150
Began: 2005-11-03
Finished: Never

Went to 150, then began gym to build some muscle; currently 173.8! (Need to cut some fat)

<b>Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.</b>
Hyperion
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Serendipity » October 12th, 2007, 8:35 am

I remind myself "Hmmm what would Lauren, Jo do?" or "Oh, gosh if I slip, I'll have to explain myself and I'll get scolded by my MF buddies!"

Don't worry, hype, we give tough love in a very kind way, we promise....well, unless you deserve the rath, hehe.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby DntCryLilEmoGrl » October 12th, 2007, 8:44 am

Hyperion wrote:Lauren, let me answer to this thread as I think it applies to me too!

Gotta love running too! I bought a dog last year, Jack Russell breed (those things are FAST), and I run with him a few times a week. I even do rollerblade and he keeps up with me. Those beasts never are tired. I have to learn from them :)

you know, i was planning on getting a dog after things at work slow down and im done with all the wedding stuff but, maybe ill save that for my ultimate goal reward. after a bit of maintanence time. plus work probably wont slow down right after the wedding.
"Soon to be mrs sexy pants"
lilemo's getting married on April 6th 2008!!!!!

started changing my life 5/15/06
restarted 10/01/07
DntCryLilEmoGrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby bikipatra » October 12th, 2007, 9:13 am

Don't worry Lauren. I was under no such illusion.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Lauren » October 12th, 2007, 9:16 am

Biks, you most certainly weren't one of the folks I was worried about...you're hardly a head in the clouds chick, and you haven't romanticized any part of this process, including maintenance! That's why I KNOW you'll be successful!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby bikipatra » October 12th, 2007, 9:25 am

Lauren wrote:Biks, you most certainly weren't one of the folks I was worried about...you're hardly a head in the clouds chick, and you haven't romanticized any part of this process, including maintenance! That's why I KNOW you'll be successful!

Lauren

I do so hope you're right but you're usually right about everything! :mrgreen:
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Lauren » October 12th, 2007, 9:39 am

Ha. Can you send that out as a memo to everyone I know? Clients and colleagues, especially.

Lauren
Lauren

Postby LAwoman » October 14th, 2007, 2:57 pm

"...but I still have to be vigilant about food, and I think I always will. That's just a reminder to any of you who think they just want to get to goal and won't have to think about it ever again - lucky you if it's true, but not likely!"

EXACTLY why I gained back the lbs. I had lost on my first MF bout, and why I had so much trouble restarting.

Thanks for speaking the truth. And I am thrilled to see you doing so well leading your healthy life.

My new motto I've been thinking about whenever I'm interested in "offplan" food is - If I want to be a thin person throughout life, I need to eat like a thin person throughout life (whether I'm MFing or not) ;)
LAwoman
Preferred member

Postby Lauren » October 16th, 2007, 6:55 am

Thanks, LA Woman! Yeah, it's all such a head trip, right? There are very few women here in the US who don't have issues surrounding food, even the thin ones. I always figured they just didn't think about it - turns out, they do! Some of them only had to start thinking about it when they became adults, but now that I've entered the "secret society of the thin" (ha!), I am SO suddenly aware that EVERYONE is disfunctional! All this time I thought my thin friends and family were confident and comfortable in their bodies and their eating, but they compare themselves to everyone!

You know what's really odd and slightly amusing? Because I struggled with my weight my whole life, I never bothered comparing myself (physically) to any other women. I am competitive in spirit, in my career, in my success in education, in leadership roles, but I never compared myself to my peers in terms of my body, because that would have been, well, traumatizing. So, it turns out, now I actually have a HEALTHIER body image than my friends? I've become a witness to how they actually think (they didn't include me in talks of people's bodies like this when I was fat), and while they're all comparing, I'm still not! Amazing how things happen, huh?

Just a funny side note, I guess.

Cheers!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Hyperion » October 16th, 2007, 7:12 am

Lauren wrote:Thanks, LA Woman! Yeah, it's all such a head trip, right? There are very few women here in the US who don't have issues surrounding food, even the thin ones. I always figured they just didn't think about it - turns out, they do! Some of them only had to start thinking about it when they became adults, but now that I've entered the "secret society of the thin" (ha!), I am SO suddenly aware that EVERYONE is disfunctional! All this time I thought my thin friends and family were confident and comfortable in their bodies and their eating, but they compare themselves to everyone!

You know what's really odd and slightly amusing? Because I struggled with my weight my whole life, I never bothered comparing myself (physically) to any other women. I am competitive in spirit, in my career, in my success in education, in leadership roles, but I never compared myself to my peers in terms of my body, because that would have been, well, traumatizing. So, it turns out, now I actually have a HEALTHIER body image than my friends? I've become a witness to how they actually think (they didn't include me in talks of people's bodies like this when I was fat), and while they're all comparing, I'm still not! Amazing how things happen, huh?

Just a funny side note, I guess.

Cheers!

Lauren

Lauren, let me jump in on that discussion since I'm a man in early 20s, and I have a lot of female friends...

Sometimes I really deeply think women are pathetic in the sense that they only want to be "better than the other women", in terms of body... You proved that you are not this way in your post, but let me share this theory.

When you are fat, and you want to be thin, why do you want to change? To be like the women around you? Or to be healthier, to live longer and have a better self-esteem? I found out most women who lose weight only by competition will inevitably gain the weight back, because once they are at goal, they don't taste the victory like they should. Instead of feeling life and all its improvements, they feel "ok now i'm on par with them, so what".

I deeply think the key with maintenance is a constant reminder of the past. Don't deny it: check your old pictures, keep your ugly big clothes. Remind yourself of how you were tired climbing those 5 stairs at the office. Know what I mean? Be proud of your accomplishment, and consider your maintenance as a gift to yourself, not a society competition obligation. This way, maintenance won't be a chore...

My two cents... Even though I think you women are crazy sometimes, I love you nonetheless :)
264/150

Went to 150, then began gym to build some muscle; currently 173.8! (Need to cut some fat)

<b>Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.</b>
Hyperion

Postby Mickeyz » October 16th, 2007, 7:19 am

Lauren,
It is so nice to have your posts to read! I am only 2 lbs from goal now, but I know I will need to be more diligent than ever through an extended transistion and also ever after...but just because I'll have a new way of eating doesn't mean it won't be "happily ever after" :lol: I am determined to never put this weight back on. You are a great example. I think I am finally getting my mind around the fact that life isn't about what foods I can or can not eat! Being a healthy weight and feeling great are such huge rewards for me. Thanks again for your terrific example.
Reached Goal Nov 2007 61.5 lbs lost
Gained 11 lbs in Mexico 3/08, decided to lose that along with another 5 lbs!
Mickeyz
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Lauren » October 16th, 2007, 7:54 am

Hey, Hype and Mickey!

Hype, you are totally right, women are cruel to one another, but more importantly, are cruel to ourselves! And while certainly I hated that my obesity made me stand out from an aesthetic standpoint, the fact that I couldn't climb the stairs or keep up with my friends while going out, or even just EXIST without breaking a sweat, these were the true reasons I wanted to lose the weight. But to be fair, all the reasons are valid, if the only reason someone wants to lose weight is to feel better amongst other women, that's truly okay. We have the right to want to feel pretty and desirable, and the power to make it happen. And while our self esteem should not be entirely wrapped up in our appearances, it is only natural that some of it is, that's our society, and we exist in it. So don't judge the lovely ladies, Hype, who just want to be lovelier, instead help them to see the qualities that ALREADY make them beautiful, and support them in their efforts to complete the package! :-)

Mickey, I am so psyched for you and how close you are to goal! You have been outstanding throughout the process, and you've always seemed to have a really grounded view of the long term, so I have no doubt that you'll have success in the maintenance process. By all means drop me a line if you have any questions, need support, whatever. I'm not here all the time, but I do try to be here enough to be responsive!

Just remember that as you start to experiment with new foods or new volumes of foods, you may have moments of genuine fear, or of the feeling of losing control and stepping into a possible binge-zone. Just pull back the reigns, and remember that you don't HAVE to eat certain things, it's not like a true test of a successful maintainer means you can eat a slice of cake and not want more. A successful maintainer is someone who manages their weight loss, and eats in a way that fulfills them, physically and mentally. Only you can figure out what those terms are, so while we all have paths that you can draw from, you will figure out what works for you. Maybe it is a slice of cake every day. Maybe, like me, you'll decide you want absurd amounts of brussel sprouts (yeah, some weird phase I'm going through, don't ask, ha!). Just do what feels right, what keeps you in control, and what makes you feel like you can do this for the long haul!

You're so close, I can taste it!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Hyperion » October 16th, 2007, 8:22 am

Lauren wrote:Hype, you are totally right, women are cruel to one another, but more importantly, are cruel to ourselves! And while certainly I hated that my obesity made me stand out from an aesthetic standpoint, the fact that I couldn't climb the stairs or keep up with my friends while going out, or even just EXIST without breaking a sweat, these were the true reasons I wanted to lose the weight. But to be fair, all the reasons are valid, if the only reason someone wants to lose weight is to feel better amongst other women, that's truly okay. We have the right to want to feel pretty and desirable, and the power to make it happen. And while our self esteem should not be entirely wrapped up in our appearances, it is only natural that some of it is, that's our society, and we exist in it. So don't judge the lovely ladies, Hype, who just want to be lovelier, instead help them to see the qualities that ALREADY make them beautiful, and support them in their efforts to complete the package! :-)

Lauren,

Good comment on that one ;)

I'll answer this debate with a song from my favorite band and what is to me the greatest singer of the world... And you're right about your point :) The lyrics helped me get through hard times (even though they are not supposed to apply to weight loss, I found out the lyrics to be very meaningful to me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XT11a0kNgQ

I can see
when you stay low nothing happens
does it feel right ?

Late at night
things I thought I put behind me
haunt my mind

I just know there's no escape
now once it sets its eyes on you
but I won't run, have to stare it in the eye

Stand my ground, I won't give in
no more denying, I got to face it
won't close my eyes and hide the truth inside
if I don't make it, someone else will
stand my ground

It's all around
getting stronger, coming closer
into my world

I can feel
that it's time for me to face it
can I take it?

Though this might just be the ending
of the life I held so dear
but I won't run, there's no turning back from here

Stand my ground (repeat chorus)

All I know for sure is I'm trying
I will always stand my ground

Stand my ground, I won't give in (I won't give in)
I won't give up (I won't give up)
if I dont make it, someone else will

Stand my ground, I won't give in
if I don't make it, someone else will
stand my ground
264/150

Hyperion

Postby bikipatra » October 16th, 2007, 9:07 am

Lauren wrote: Only you can figure out what those terms are, so while we all have paths that you can draw from, you will figure out what works for you. Maybe it is a slice of cake every day. Maybe, like me, you'll decide you want absurd amounts of brussel sprouts (yeah, some weird phase I'm going through, don't ask, ha!). You're so close, I can taste it!

Lauren

I ate 3/4's of a bag of frozen broccoli for dinner the other night. (Allowed on my diet) I used to do that when I was thin too. I LOVE broccoli!
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Next

Return to Maintenance