Still all good in maintenanceland...

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Postby Lizabette » January 24th, 2008, 7:12 pm

Hey, LAUREN, :wave: here I am, after over a week of non-boarding, I was anxiously wanting to hear how you are doing...
I shoulda known that it takes awhile to get back up to par, but I will continue to send good thoughts and prayers your way.
:hug:
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby MerryMary » January 24th, 2008, 10:01 pm

Thinkin' about you, Lauren, and hoping that you continue to feel better each day! :rose: You are truly a positive person and an inspiration!
MARY
Started MF 11/6/06; reached goal 9/27/07.
MerryMary
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby Lauren » January 29th, 2008, 5:36 am

Good morning, good morning, good morning! Sorry I have not logged on a bit, strangely, I've been busy! :-) I started back at work yesterday (finally!), but was working from home for a couple weeks prior. So, yes, I am totally mending, getting better every day! Obviously still not allowed to exercise, but walking is allowed, and I am doing as much of that as possible.

Thank you SO much for all your kind words and emails and support. I am sorry that I haven't replied to you individually, or thanked you personally, but do know that your posts meant alot, and I was so pleased to have this group checking in with me!

I am super busy at work, so I don't have much time to post, but just wanted to let you know that I am doing well, still staying steady and strong with maintenance, and fortunately, even without exercise, haven't gained weight - thank goodness! I am being even more vigilant about eating and weighing, because this is the danger time - when I am feeling well enough to eat a lot, but not exercising - so I am just doing my best to stay in the right mindset. It helps that I like what I'm seeing in the mirror!

You all sound great and I wish those of you in the new 100 day challenge lots of success and continued enthusiasm!

Cheers!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby DogMa » January 29th, 2008, 6:50 am

It's good to hear from you, Lauren, and I'm glad you're recuperating well. (And hey, walking IS exercise!)

Good for you on not gaining even without the exercise, too.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Serendipity » January 29th, 2008, 7:07 am

Hey Lauren, Good to see you! And so glad you are mending nicely.

Of course, we are waiting patiently for a full report when you have time. I need to make some decisions in that area at some point before I get too attached to all of this extra skin, hehe.

I'll be in NYC in early June with some friends to take in a show and shopping. Think we could cross paths then?
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Lauren » January 29th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Thanks, Robin and Jo!

Yes, Robin, I know that walking is exercise, but it's not power walking that I am doing, it's still "recreational" walking, in the words of my doctor. It's like a brisk stroll. :-) But I am improving the speed of my stroll every day, almost back to my normal NYC walk!

Jo, ask me anything you want! And if it's too graphic or detailed for the forum, then send me a pm. I am an open book on this surgery, and know that I had a million and one questions before I went in, I am happy to give my experience to anyone too! (and you're not just anyone, Jo, you're SPECIAL!) ha

Yes, Jo, we MUST meet up when you're in the city - it's about time!

Cheers,

Lauren
Lauren

Postby dede4wd » January 29th, 2008, 10:34 pm

I'm so glad you're doing well!

I'm so happy you're back to work! I know you're probably itching to exercise hardcore, but the doc knows best! Thanks for the update and It's so nice to see you post!

Take care! Get better soon!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » February 2nd, 2008, 11:36 pm

Lauren ~

I've seen those NYC strolls and I wouldn't say they are s-l-o-w! Sheesh!

We are so glad you peeked in here and let us know that you were back to work. You are just a goin' concern and nothing will hold you back!

We can't wait to see your results. Are the stitches all out? Got bruises still? What is the uncomfy rate at this point in time?

We wanna know all about it!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Tawanda » February 3rd, 2008, 9:49 am

Hi Lauren,

I've been thinking about you and hoping all is well. I went back into the studio, did a lot of searching and found the photos of LilMissTexas' surgery (I wish she were still on the forums, sharing). I am kind of hoping that you'll share photos (privately even if you aren't sharing them in the studio). I am so glad you are doing well and are happy with your results.

I hope Grayson is still reading and will update us on how he is feeling, too.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda

Postby Lauren » February 3rd, 2008, 1:35 pm

Thanks, Nancy and T., I am trying to check in as frequently as possible, because I know there are a lot of inquiring minds about the surgery! I am not likely to post bare body shots (I'm a bit too demure for that) -- but I'll be happy to put on tight athletic clothes that will give you an idea of the final results. However, I didn't really show you or anyone the pre-surgery body, since I always wore an undergarment to smooth away the excess skin. The funny thing about that is that I don't really look any different to my friends, since they had always seen the smooth line! But, naked, there's a helluva difference! Anyway, I haven't been allowed to work out in any way since the surgery, so my muscle tone has basically evaporated - which means I am NOT posting any pics until I can get back into running/ab work/lifting, because I feel and look like jello! :-)

But I promise to do my best to give you all the most info and pics as possible, I swear!

Cheers,

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Lizabette » February 4th, 2008, 7:42 am

I am so looking forward to seeing the wonderful results of your surgery.
But to me you are fine in any way, shape or form! :-P
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette

Postby Nancy » February 5th, 2008, 10:58 pm

Lauren, has Jell-o really happend in just 4 weeks?

Gulp! I do know what you mean though about losing muscle tone and strength; it is important for us to motate every day as much as we are able.

How is your stamina and energy level now that you are back to work?
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby DogMa » February 6th, 2008, 6:52 am

It can't be THAT bad after four weeks, but it DOES take just two weeks to start losing muscle tone when you stop working out.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Lauren » February 6th, 2008, 4:10 pm

Ha! Well, like Robin said, it only takes two weeks to start losing muscle tone, and I had really active pumped up muscles because I was running every day, so that helped keep the excess skin (especially on my thighs) look less jiggly on a regular basis - since the muscle filled a lot of that space. But now with both the loss of muscle tone AND just the fact that they're not pumping daily, the skin is all loose and jiggly again. Ugh.

I'm not concerned from a physical future standpoint, I know that we have "muscle memory" and this will all come back strong as soon as I start working out again, it just sucks right now. All I can say is that I am THRILLED that I chose to do this in the winter, because I would not be happy feeling like this while trying to handle beach/pool/shorts/skirts...

Joyfully I get to wrap up this swollen body with sweaters and knee high boots and pretend everything underneath looks perfect and tight!

Nancy, stamina and energy are getting better every day. It's funny, even though I was working from home after the first week post-op, I didn't realize how exhausting it would be to actually be back in the office, sitting up all day, walking more, etc. I was really tired - mentally and physically - at the end of every day last week, and more swollen (that's to be expected, they say). But this week felt MUCH more normal, I still have the end of day swelling (more on that in a moment), but my energy stores are infinitely better, I feel really good!

So, most people who have surgery have some kind of post op issues - some have trouble with wound healing, others with pain, etc. Well, mine has pretty much just been in the world of swelling. Turns out I just keep on collecting fluids! This somehow comes as no surprise to me, since I've always been a person to retain fluids or get bloated easily. When I was fat I was constantly lugging around hugely swollen feet and ankles. Medifast has done a phenomenal job of keeping the bloating thing at bay (since I eat VERY low levels of sodium), but this operation brought it back gang-busters! It's all predominantly in the abdomen (both lower and upper) areas, which is to be expected, but it's so weird! I can start the day looking just a little puffy, and by end of day I can literally look pregnant! So, I've been going back to the surgeon a couple times a week for aspiration, which is basically draining the fluid. It's not painful (well, not to me, but I'm pretty good with pain), but it's annoying to keep leaving work for it. We may put a drain back in on Monday if it continues. This is evidently not terribly uncommon, just a side effect that can occur. Fortunately, unlike Grayson's experience, it hasn't affected the healing of the stitches, as I've continued to be vigilant about the draining, AND I continue to wear an abdominal compression garment which keeps the area healing.

I mentioned all this since you lovely people seem to want all the dirty details! :-) Hope I've satisfied your cravings! Hahah

Otherwise, feeling good, and will keep y'all posted!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby holberry » February 8th, 2008, 8:20 am

oh boy, my hero Lauren!

So glad I scrolled down and found your post. Im happy for your results.

You nailed it about muscle memory, it will all come back. It's hard after pumping up to the max and then stopping, physically/mentally. Soon you will be sweating with the best of them.

Thanks for you positive self, and take care

hugs,
holberry
holberry

PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance