Starting MF This Weekend and Questions

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Postby bomoni727 » April 29th, 2005, 7:15 am

I have been researching MF for some time now and have ordered my supply to go ahead and get started by May 1st. I can see that this is a very good support for people doing Medifast. I am under the care of my doctor and I have his support. I need to lose at least 65 pounds. I would like to do the full program. If I do the full program and not the 5 and 1 at first, how many shakes do I need in a day? I'm not real clear on that yet. Also, for those of you who have to mix shakes at work, how do you manage making your shakes throughout the day? Thanks much for your response.
~I will have a chance because I will give myself a chance.~

bomoni727

Postby 24KaratGold » April 29th, 2005, 7:41 am

Welcome to the forum, bomoni!

Full fast is six meal replacements a day. That can be six shakes, or six of any of the other MF supplements except for the bars -- bars are limited to one a day. That protocol has changed recently, and you may still see old literature or posting around that say that you must have a minimum of three shakes a day, so just be aware.

What sort of work do you do? I have my own office, so I would just get cold water from the water cooler in the kitchen and bring it to my office and shake and drink it there. Or if I am having soup, I'll make it in the nukebox in the kitchen, just like anybody else would.

There is also a Medifast product which is Ready-to-Drink. It comes in a little cardboard juice-type box, with an attached straw. Vanilla or chocolate. Very handy when traveling on airplanes, and things like that. Depending on what sort of work you do, they could be a real help.

Good luck to you. This program works, if you let it work.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Nancy » April 29th, 2005, 8:44 am

bomoni727 ~

Hello and welcome!

Your doctor should be able to determine the number of packets to take for your daily plan to fit your personal needs. Some doctors support their patients on shakes only, ask your physician how he/she would like for you to do it. Most people do a combination of products for variety.

Here's to your success, too! :water: :toast:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby dlr2424 » April 29th, 2005, 10:19 am

Bomoni............WELCOME.............. :wave: .......so glad you have joined us....... :D ..............there are so many people here to help and encourage you....... :yes: ......and cheer you on your victories....... :cheerleader: ..........regardless of how big or small .....your still a WINNER for being a LOSER................lookin forward to sharing the journey with you.............. :yay:
Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby mylasthope » April 29th, 2005, 6:16 pm

Hi Bomoni . . . and welcome! :wave:

I'm new to MF too - just finishing my 3rd week. Here's how I do it :

I have breakfast at home (oatmeal). I mix up 2 shakes in a smoothie maker with lots of ice - nice and thick - pour it in a big insulated cup :pour: and stick it in the freezer while I'm getting ready. I throw a bar in my purse and grab the shakes from the freezer on the way out the door. This holds me over till my lean and green and then another shake around 8 or 9 at night.

Hope this helps and good luck! You'll do great! :thumbsup:
mylasthope
Regular Member - #10 Club

What to do with shakes

Postby Heidi » April 30th, 2005, 7:29 am

Hi Bomoni! Welcome to the forum--and congratulations! My name is Heidi and I am 3 1/2 weeks into the program with a 20 lb. loss. A few suggestions that I have found helpful doing the full fast:

1) I do 5 shakes a day--spreading them about 2 1/2 hours apart. I found a mini-blender (enough for 1) at Wal-Mart for around $13.00. I am a teacher and so in between classes is when I make them, to reduce the noise factor of the blender. Some people don't mind the cold water/mix, I just like the shake texture better.

2) If I know I am going to have mtgs. in the morning I make a double batch of shake and drink two at home while I am getting ready for school. This fills me up to last until about noon.

3) During the first week and even occasionally now I craved flavor. I had no idea before starting that I food gave me so much pleasure. To reduce the flavor cravings, I had a few pickles, celery, and occasional chicken broth. Now every few days I have a salad at dinner time.

4) The first week really is the most difficult because if you are like me, you'll notice all tv commercials are about food, and not the healthy kind, everywhere you look food will come to mind. I found that the fast in the first week was best for me because it helped getting my mind-set on not eating for pleasure, but for nourishment. During the first week I also learned alot about myself which I tried really hard to focus on and even journal about--what makes me hungry? When are times I reach for food "Just Because", etc. There is also a book I highly recommend. It's called "My Big Fat Greek Diet." Simple reading, highly motivational and not alot of diet mumbo gumbo.

5) There are many ways to "doctor up" the shakes too. Check out the lean cuisine forum for lots of helpful hints.

6) Although I don't post often, I read the forum EVERYDAY for encouragement. I couldn't have made it these past few weeks without the many words of support.

I too, have about 65-80 pounds to lose and my doctor is extremely happy with my results. Most importantly, I feel better than I have in months!!! Surround yourself around people who are supportive, and will not discourage this method of weightloss. We are all here for you and will give you all the encouragement you can imagine. Great job on making an excellent choice. Write, personal msg. or email me anytime, I am so proud of you. Heidi
Heidi
Newbie - #20 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 30th, 2005, 7:45 am

Hi Bomoni~~ we are so glad you decided to join the MF family of LOSERS. It is one time in your life that being a LOSER is a good thing. :exercise:

I have to mix my shakes at work also. I am a teacher so my time is limited and sometimes I find it hard to have my shakes at the correct times. I make sure I get them as close as I possibly can. I keep bottled water in the staff refrigerator and when it is time for a shake, :guzzle: ..............I run :runner: down to the staff room,...................... grab my bottle of water, .................fill my shaker jar, ..........................pour in my packet, ......................and SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE.....................then I run :runner: back to my classroom very carefully so that I don't spill a drop. :mrgreen:

Sometimes I order the Ready-to-Drink shakes so that I get to skip all of that. :lol:

I bought a shaker at GNC that has a wheel-like thing in the lid which really helps mix the powder. Tupperware also has a nice shaker with the same wheel-like lid. Mind you, I have to do all of this and get back to class in less than 3 minutes. I think the running down the hall is giving me good exercise though. :D

You are going to great on MF,......... and keep coming here for support and inspiration.

DonicaB :yeah:
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby bomoni727 » April 30th, 2005, 10:39 am

Thanks everyone for your support and ideas on how to manage getting my shakes in while at work. I appreciate the kindness and honesty of you all. I intend to come here every day for support and to talk about my weight loss. What makes me feel extra good is the fact that I have the support of my family and my doctor. Thanks again.
~I will have a chance because I will give myself a chance.~

bomoni727

Postby LuzInIt » April 30th, 2005, 1:30 pm

Welcome! You have found a great support group here. I also don't show up often (mostly cause I'm always doing it wrong and my messages usually go directly to message heaven and not to the forum :roll: ), but I read everyday for encouragement and lots of laughs. You will find it so easy to do. I keep a shaker at work and one at home in the fridge with water in it at all times. At work, I just use the water cooler to fill it up, drop in MF, shake and drink! Fits into my schedule far easier than eating lunch ever did! At home, my shaker is always full of cold water; usually I just pour it into my mini blender (hubby ran out to Walmart and got it for me for about $13 after I read about it here), than fill it back up and pop it back in the fridge for next time. Even if I don't use the blender, I always have a cold shake available. Soups are equally easy - into the microwave. Have fun with MF - I have never enjoyed a diet so much as I do this!
Well, I just previewed this before posting and it appears it is going to make it to the forum this time :D . (Apparently, I haven't got the hang of the ticker thing yet.)
Linda - Started MF 3/22/05

340/328/210/150
130 Pounds Gone For Good -
Thank you Medifast!
LuzInIt
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » April 30th, 2005, 6:31 pm

Hi Mrs T,
I fixed up your ticker for you. Check it out before you change it next time to see what I added.

As for msg heaven, I see you have an AOL email addy. If you minimize your AOL browser and bring up IE or Netscape, I think that'll end your problem posting.

Happy shakin',
:cheers:
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Return to Come on in.