Starting Over- Made it thru day 2!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Starting Over- Made it thru day 2!

Postby jewels » June 1st, 2004, 8:30 pm

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this computer stuff but figured I'ld give it a try.
Yesterday I restarted MF. I had tried this diet about 2 months ago and had all the determination in the world. I lost 18 lbs, hit a plateau and just couldn't get over that hump. It has taken me about 2-3 weeks to get back in the saddle the right way cause God knows I kept slipping off.

The blessing in all this is that I have not gained any of the weight I did loose. My Problem... I seem not to be able to handle compliments about my weight loss well. I mean I accept the compliments but soon afterwards I find myself cheating here and there. I don't know why I automatically do this. For example, I went to a family wedding this weekend and received many compliments about my weight loss and how great I looked!! I accepted them well so I thought, but what did I do? I nibbled on a small sliver of cake, tasted a spoonfull of cheesecake dessert, and drank half a glass of a Long Island Ice tea. I got so sick with nausea, stomach cramps, headache, blurry vision, sweating and shaky, that my 17 year old daughter had to drive me home( a 4 hour drive from D.C. to NJ). How humiliating. Oh did I forget to mention that I am diabetic and should not have had any of the above foods or beverages.

This incident really scared me and so I recommited myself to MF. This time I joined the Forum to hopefully give me the support I need. Up until now, I've been winging this alone. This battle is no joke. But I intend on winning this war once and for all!!!!

Starting weight 2 months ago 200 lbs
5/30/04 Restart Weight 182 lbs

Hopefully some on will reply to Hopeless in NJ :(
Jewels
jewels

Postby Echo » June 2nd, 2004, 5:05 am

You are not hopeless! You stuck with it for 18 lbs and there is no reason you can't reach your goals. We are here for you! I don't know if you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, but sometimes type 2 diabetics will not need medications to help control their blood sugar after a weight loss. And, if you can keep your BS within a normal range you decrease risk to kidneys, eyes, limbs and life. I respect your decision to get back on track and take back your health. Welcome to the forum.

Echo
Echo
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby MomJackieLee » June 2nd, 2004, 10:39 am

I'm right where you are, as in I lost 18 lbs, stalled out for a few months and I'm back with it. I lost using South Beach and I want to kick it up to a faster weight loss. I used medifast for a while back when you could only get the product thru Dr. office. Needless to say, it got too expensive and I couldn't tcontinue. I also feel blessed to have found this program.

Don't let those compliments throw you. You just have to get used to being more fabulous!!! :oops:

Best to you!!!
MomJackieLee
246/222/160
MomJackieLee
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Lois » June 2nd, 2004, 8:21 pm

Hi Jewels!

I'm starting over again, too, and I'm BOUND AND DETERMINED to make it this time! We can do this together!!!!

hugs,

Lois
Lois
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » June 2nd, 2004, 11:04 pm

Howdy doody Jewels, Mom JackieLee, Echo, and welcome back Lois!!

Yippy skippy! You are going to make it! Medifast is perfect for those of you have a LOT of tonnage to lose like I did and perfect for those of you that just need to drop a few pounds before a special event.

Scary about that alcohol effect, eh? Yikes! Your blood sugar fluctuations are tellin' ya somethin' so be careful!

We're on the road to Thinville and it starts with a shake. Fuel your tank regularly - every three hours and be kind to yourself the first few weeks.

We'll see you to your goal!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Starting Over

Postby jewels » June 3rd, 2004, 4:50 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies. They made me feel real "SPECIAL" :D !!
Your response just changed my morning, cause it started off rough.
Too my surprise today, I weigh 179 lbs :D . I've lost 3 lbs. That's just
great. Also, I tried the chocolate MF for diabetics heated in the microwave, and I felt like I ch-e-a-ted!!!

By the way, I am a type II diabetic and have been fighting this disease for seven years. Currently I am on oral medication which was recently decreased due to the 18 lb weight loss. Yet it angers me at times that I even have to fight. However, I realize that I'm now fighting for my life and I'm not going to just let any thing just take it from me :x ...
Once again, thanks for your support!!!

Fighting Back In NJ :x
Jewels
jewels

Postby Echo » June 3rd, 2004, 8:27 am

I am a type II diabetic and have been fighting this disease for seven years. Currently I am on oral medication which was recently decreased due to the 18 lb weight loss.

Jewels, that is wonderful!!!! :cleader: If that isn't inspiration to continue on the plan I don't know what is. I'm so proud of you.

Echo
Echo
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » June 3rd, 2004, 9:11 am

Hi Jewels,
You're off to a great start. A steady stream of high quality, balanced foods can have a tremendous affect for people with type 2 diabetes. You'll want to work closely with your Doc for the first few weeks because you'll be needing adjustments with your meds. I'm posting a thread here to show you the possible benefits you may experience:

Susan eliminates her diabetes medication.

You'll see where Susan had been on diabetes medications for 12 years. After only 2 weeks her blood sugars returned to normal and she was off her meds.

Keep shakin',
:)
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby SneezyKitten » June 4th, 2004, 3:40 am

Hi Jewels!

I hit that same 18 lb mark and leveled off too...but now when I look back I kick myself for giving up after two weeks at the plateau!!! Good for you for not gaining it back...I hate to say I have gained some back..some, not all. Sometimes it takes something frightening as your incident to shake us in to reality.

Welcome back!!!!!!!!! Good health and successful weight loss here you come!
SneezyKitten
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby jewels » June 4th, 2004, 5:44 am

Hey SneezyKitten & Unca,

Thanks for your support. Yes, SK, I had a real reality check!! :oops:
Unca, thanks for turning me on to Susan's testimonial about her diabetes.
She is definitely an encouragement!

Unfortunately for me, I see reality almost on a daily basis. I work in the medical profession and have treated diabetics. I have actually cared for them better than I've cared for myself. Now it's time for me 8) .

Thanks!!
Jewels
jewels

Postby Nancy » June 4th, 2004, 6:46 am

Jewels ~

You are on your way this time! :D

Since you have cared for others with diabetes, this is the way for you to succeed: picture the people and their needs whenever you are tempted to go off program.

When I got :shock: serious about losing weight, I kept thinking about my Uncle Jake. I loved him dearly and he loved me, too. He had diabetes and he didn't keep things in check in any way. He had numbness in his feet, had to have his toes amputated, eventually his foot and lower leg. It was terrible! How he loved to fish and camp and he couldn't do any of those things any more.

I love my toes. ;) I wanna keep 'em. I have eaten so many donuts, cakes, loaves of bread, french fries, etc. in my lifetime so I know how all of them taste.

Whenever I am tempted to eat a load of garbage, I think of my Uncle Jake and look at my toes. I am wearing a sparkly toe ring right now to remind me to ask myself: what do you want more, Nanc? That loaf of bread or your toes?

You'll get there, Jewels. Sometimes it takes those wake-up calls, sometimes it takes another person's experiences to give us a jolt and sometimes we just have to get to the place where we realize that we are worth it, that it is ok to love :heart: yourself and it is ok to put yourself first!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby jewels » June 5th, 2004, 4:44 pm

Thanks Nancy,

I came to browse the site and saw your response. I needed it for today has been an emotional challenge....but I overcame it.

Thanks so much for the visualization :shock: . I 've got alot of pictures in my memory from surgical procedures to foot ulcers. Jogging those memories helped catapult me to finish my day with flying colors.

I really appreciate the excellent counsel.

LOL,
Jewels
jewels

Postby Nancy » June 6th, 2004, 2:05 am

Jewels, the first month on the plan is critical! Do everything in your power to stick with it. No caving to the flaves! Sometimes having a sniff of something is enough to satisfy. Just pretend your jaw is wired shut and then walk away from the table. If you have a night guard - wear it all the time to prevent yourself fom scarfing things from the "Forbidden Zone."

I talk to myself so much - if others won't or can't give you a pep talk then DIY - do it yourself! Speak postitively to your self about yoursef.

Sample:

I am making healthy food choices. I am in control of what I shove in my mouth. I am able to walk away from food that is not on my plan. I am going to reach my goal weight in ___ weeks. i feel confident that I will reach my goal and be able to maintain my weigt loss. you fill in the blank. hee hee...
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Lois » June 6th, 2004, 11:54 am

Nancy, I love your suggestions...especialy "act as though your jaw is wired shut!!!! That's perfect! It made me smile AND gave me new "ammunition" in this battle I'm fighting with my weight.

Thanks!

Lois
Lois
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Guest » June 9th, 2004, 5:06 am

Thanks Nancy,

It was good to view your suggestions. The last couple of days have been quite a challenge. I realize that I am an emotional eater. I found myself craving for food when relationship problems occurred. But I also realize that I don't want to wear these problems on my body anymore. So yesterday I went to the YMCA and took a walk on the treadmill. Just getting there was a challenge, but afterwards I felt fine and had more energy.

My attempt to exercise was prompted by a lecture I had yesterday on obesity. The different ways in which people chose to attempt to lose weight is amazing. But during this lecture, I :shock: saw myself. I saw myself yo-yo dieting with LA weight loss, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Atkins diet, South Beach diet, Juice fasts, Leanline....etc. ENOUGH!!!!!

It wore me out :( just thinking about how I have been losing weight since I was 15 years old, when my mother took me to my first Lean line meeting. I'm now 44 and fighting the same battle? I ask myself...Jewels, What's UP?!

You're right self talk can either make or break you :roll: . I have been so hard on myself with negative self talk, its no wonder I keep riding the roller coaster of obesity. I want OFF!!!

Thanks so much for sharing
Jewels

Next

Return to Come on in.