Starting Over- Made it thru day 2!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Postby Nancy » June 9th, 2004, 9:16 am

Jewels,

We're so glad that you crawled out of the car that rides the roller coaster to obesity! Now it is time to get on the soarin' ride - the Medifast ride that helps ya soar through weight loss with relative ease and lands ya right on your target goal weight!

Now here are some positive affirmations about YOU, Jewels:

You are making :angel: good choices; you :bib: feed your bod what it needs at the times it needs its :drive: fuel; you drink :water: water frequenly because it rehydrates your bod, keeps your :heart: heart healthy and your :o skin glowing; you are taking good care of yourself because you are of :yes: value and a :heart: precious treasure!

Have a grand day! :hug: Shake it! :cheers:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Landylue » June 9th, 2004, 10:20 am

Hi, Jewels, so your first diet was at age 15, huh? Mine was in the 4th grade, and probably should have been sooner. I've been wondering if 50 years of yoyo dieting is why the weight loss on Medifast is so slow as compared to some of the others.

I am also an 'emotional' eater, but Medifast really helps break you of that habit fast. By not eating at all, it MAKES you look for another avenue to express your frustration or anger.

I just wanted to jump out here, though, and wish you the best of luck. It sounds like you've got your 'head straight', and are well on the road to success.

Glad you are here.

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby jewels » June 9th, 2004, 6:11 pm

Dear Nancy & Landylue,

Thanks for the great tips. I have a question. As a Type II diabetic, is it possible for me to do MF with 6 shakes and green veggies? Right now, I'm doing 5/1 lean green meal. The reason is that I noticed on the days I forgot to eat the protein or couldn't quite eat the 5 ounces, I felt like I had more energy. I even wonder if my taste for meat is decreasing.

Let me know your experience with this or if you know another Type II diabetic who has done this. Currently, my physician is in support of the MF program. I assume that I would need to visit her more frequently on a two or four week interval should I make the change.

Speaking of two to four weeks, I read where Type II diabetics on oral meds were encouraged to stop oral meds or did not need oral meds after two to four weeks. Is this on the total MF program or the modified? Because I have been able only to decrease my meds. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with that, but if I can do better, I want too.

Sorry if I'm talking your ear off, but, I'm tired of diabetes and having to come out my pocket each month for these medications just to survive. My copayment monthly on my medications and supplies is about $300. That's $3,600 per year in the last 7 years, I have spent at least $25,270 in medication and supplies and one hospitalization that cost ~$14,000. Now I know why I haven't had a vacation in years.

Vacation, that sounds like a good incentive for reaching my goal!!!

Bon Voyage 8) !

Jewels
jewels

Postby Landylue » June 10th, 2004, 6:13 pm

Oh, Jewels, I'm going to leave your questions about the diabetes up to the experts, but your comment about losing your taste for meat jogged my memory a bit. I lost well over 100 lbs years ago on another fasting program, and after I went through transition, I gave up meat altogether. I just didn't WANT it! I remember that the taste of beef was bizarre, and even chicken didn't appeal to me anymore. I guess I went almost three years not eating any meat. Hummm, I don't think that happens to everyone, but I thought I would mention it.

I want to encourage you, Jewels, that you are doing a very good thing for yourself by going the Medifast route and especially joining this forum. You are going to find that being an ACTIVE member of the forum is going to make your journey sooooo much easier. I promise!

Let us hear from you often.

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » June 11th, 2004, 11:06 am

Jewels ~

We are so glad that you are seeing your doctor regularly. Diabetes is not curable but it is manageable by controlling your diet and Medifast makes it possible to keep blood sugar levels relatively normal without causing low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).

As your weight is reduced, your need for medication will change since you are eating foods lower in sugar, lower in fat, calories and cholesterol.

Your physician will determine your caloric needs, how often you should monitor your blood sugar and how much to reduce your oral meds.

At the beginning of the Medifast program, it is advised to check your blood sugar at least 2-3 times daily - If your blood suagr levels fall below the range specified by your doc, your physician may direct you to reduce or to possibly discontinue your oral medication.

CHECK with your doc before making ANY changes to your diabetes medication.

For weight loss, we recommend the 5 and 1 program which is 5 Medifast Plus for Diabetics Shakes per day (you may substitute other Medifast products which are also Formulated for Diabetics such as soups, bars, oatmeals, etc. in place of a Medifast Plus for Diabetics Shake) PLUS a meal consisting of 4 to 5 ounces of lean meat, fish, and meat substitutes and a serving of low starch vegetable or a salad.

The key to optimal health is to eat a diet that includes a balance between calories taken in and calories expended – grub in, sweat out! Avoid high glycemic foods since they stimulate insulin and fat storage.

I am not a doctor and absolutely will not tell you to not have protein. The bod needs protein and there are many sources available today.

Like you, my hunger for meat has diminished since I started using Medifast. I don’t like the greasy feeling of ground beef in my mouth and prefer skinless chicken or fish.

After our good buddy Steve had triple by-pass surgery on his heart, we think twice before eating prime rib!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby susan » June 18th, 2004, 4:14 pm

Hi jewels,
you can do this I was a diabetic 11 also and thank god for medifast .I took med.for 12 years which gave me diaera and I was sick and no energy I dont take any thing now .I feel great I have lost 61 pounds AND i HAVE 32 OR 42 P0UNDS TO GO WHICH EVER I CHOOSE TO GO TO 130 OR 140 POUNDS ACCORDING TO HOW i LOOK. i JUST HAD BLOOD WORK DONE AND THE dR. WAS THRILLED MY SUGAR AND EVERYTHING ELSE WAS PERFECT {THIS IS DEFENTLY WORTH THE BATTLE OOF THE BULGE } AND i FEEL SO GOOD mY KNEE WAS IN BAD SHAPE THEY WANTED TO DO KNEE REPLACEMENT AND NOW SINCE THE WT. LOSS MY dR. SAID i MIGHT NEVER HAFT TO HAVE IT DONE SO iT IS REALLY WORTH EVERY EFFERT TTO STAY ON THE PROGRAM .i GOT SIDE TRACTED FOR A LITTLE WHILE BUT TALKED TO nANCY AND i AM BACK ON TRACT TO LOSE THE OTHER 32 OR 42 POUNDS .i SHOULD HAVE KEPT VISITING THE FORUM IT KEEPS YOU ON TRACT AND EVERONE IS SO GOOD ABOUT HELPING YOU OUT WHEN YOU;RE DOWN .i FELL DOWN BUT i DID;NT GAIN ANY THING i THANK THE LORD FOR THAT NOW i AM BACK TO THE NETTY GRITTY AND NO CHEATING i FOUND OUT YOU ONLY HURT YOUR SELF WHEN YOU CHEAT SO NO MORE CHEATING FOR ME.i WILL STAY ON THE TRAIN TO THINVILLE FROM NOW ON .AFTER TO WEEKS i WENT OFF MY MEDS . I TAKE NOTHING BUT A MULTI VITIAM AND i FEEL GREAT .SO STAY ON THE TRAIN TO THINVILLE AND REAP ALL THE GREAT REWARDS THEY ARE WONDERFUL AND THE FEELING IS GREAT . SUSAN PS ANYTIME YOU NEED SOME ONE TO TALK TO JUST GET ON HERE.
I am not a quiter I will hang in there tillI get to goal with the good lords help
susan
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby jewels » June 22nd, 2004, 5:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

Long time no hear. I have had a terrible week :cry: . But ... I'm back :oops: . Thanks Susan for your recent post. I needed that. Please check your private messages.

Nancy, I remembered what you said about the toe ring, so yesterday, I brought three. Today I wore one to work and maybe because I could feel it, but it made my day on program much easier.

Thanks For Reaching Out :)

Jewels
jewels

Postby Nancy » June 22nd, 2004, 11:33 pm

Jewels ~
What THREE new toe rings? Oooh, what color and style? Huh? Ooh, what a glam gal you are!

I just got back from a FABULOUS conference this evening and I was wearing two toe rings! One is a little blue rhinestone heart and the other says, "Kuuipo" which means 'sweetheart' in Hawaiian. :-) Cool, huh?

I met Mary Jane Medlock tonight and what a cool lady she is! She is amazing - also a big loser with Medifast! She is very petite now - I felt like Amazon Woman next to her!

I greeted one of the guys at the conference who has lost 132 pounds. I inquired about how he is doing and his reply was, "I am tall and thin." I LOVED that! Now when you pass people at work or at the store and they say, "How are ya?" You are to reply, "I am tall and getting thinner!"

re: rough week: Some weeks are better than others. How well I know...

I have had a super busy week and am exhausted. Last night while I was working late at the college two fresh bagels in the back room kept wafting their gnarly scent my way. They called my name. I closed the door. I wanted them. I do not need them so I told 'em to shuuddup and drank a bottle of water.

Chocolate brownies and lemon bars tried to win entrance onto my tastebuds when I got home from work (We had a MakeMeThinner meeting in our home last night while I was working at the college so I had prepared goodies...)I drank a cup of warm water when the brownie tried to leap onto my lip. I just knew that the dreaded brownie would live for a week on my hip or inner thigh if I gave in to it. I had a shake, brushed my fangs and went to bed with my night guard in - it is harder to eat stuff with a night guard over your teeth.

:shock:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Guest » June 24th, 2004, 6:07 am

Hi Nancy,

That's right I got three toe rings. One is a silver band, one has 3 amethyst birthstones, and one has one central amethyst stone. The plain
silver band and the one with the 3 birthstones, look like a wedding band set!!! I'm hopeful.

Also, while low carb butter pecan icecream and a slice of cake was finding its way down my esophagus about 4 nights ago, amazingly, a Medifast commercial came on TV!!

Thank God, that kicked me back into gear. I'm afraid to sit infront of the TV with any food now.

Hopefully, in a week I'll be sharing some good news!! :-P

Love,
Jewels

Postby Nancy » June 24th, 2004, 6:47 am

Jewels ~

I laughed out loud about the TV commercial. How well I KNOW all about the "Call of the Commercial."

I don't watch much TV - I prefer :kool: loud rockin' music or serene Classical vibes; if I do, it's usually late night TV and only with one eye - I'm usually reading or 'puting. Unca is always watchin' OCC (his latest fave), CNN, MSNBC, FX-something or other - that news stuff...anyhoo when Terry and I started Medifasting, we turned off the tube - way too much foody stuff for us to watch. Practically every commercial was :bib: grub-related and we couldn't hack it.

Attention Medifast Newbies: Avoid the tube and magazines!

Have a shakin' day, Jewels.

Take a peek at your tootsies when you think about stuffin' the espohagus and remember, my Uncle Jake had diabetes and he had to have his toes amputated - now that's a REAL incentive to slurp a shake and avoid the cake!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Echo » June 24th, 2004, 10:51 am

Know what else is great with the toerings, a pedicure. I go to a place that will decorate your toenails with little flowers for $5 more and they look so cute in sandals.
Echo
Preferred Member - #30 Club

toe-wings??

Postby explorthis » June 24th, 2004, 11:25 am

2 questions:

1) Can I get one w/ "GUIDO" on it?

2) Will that "toe-piercing" hurt?

Gimme strength.....
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2004, 4:14 am

As we say in NJ, "You guys are trippin!" That's a good thing. You really help turn an embarrasing :oops: situation into a bunch of laughs :lol: .

Nancy, you would be happy to know, that although yesterday was a challenge, I made it!! Oh, well... today didn't start out that good either as I felt the food demon calling me. So...

I put on my toe ring, socks, and sneakers.....suddenly I felt better. Then I came into work and read your post about Uncle Jake.... Life is good!!! THX.

Oh, by the way, I sure you can get customized toe rings...Guido!!!LOL

Love,
Jewels

Postby explorthis » June 25th, 2004, 6:27 am

As we say in NJ, "You guys are trippin!"
Oh, by the way, I sure you can get customized toe rings...Guido!

NJ? Puhleese, and trippin, and the bomb, amongst many others that my 42 year old brain does not want to remember. These are all well and alive in California. On occasion I have to solicit my active peer worthy teen daughter to ask what a certain phrase or group of unintelligible words means, cause ol Dad, though still hip, is used to words like “cool” or “rad”. I have heard her many a time use the “trippin” word on the phone w/friends, as my wife and I toss a glance at each other with heads shaking back and forth. It’s a good day when I can decipher a few of the terms, and hope I am still semi cool. She still wants to go with me to places, alone with just her, so I must be ok in her mind.

As for the Guido-ring customization, I was kidding! (though you probably guessed this) I am not sure which would be more embarrassing, my friend(s) happening a glance at semi-boney Guido toe, or the ridiculing I would get from aforementioned teen. Guess I will just keep my wedding ring, and my man style G-Shock strapped for now….

Trippin in California on a Friday!

Dude, gotta bail. Catch ya on the flip.

-Mike (the big kid at heart – and now body)
explorthis

Postby Nancy » June 25th, 2004, 7:22 am

Good Friday Mornin' to ya - east coasties all the way to west coasties~

What a snort you all are! I :heart: ya!

It's your sense of :D humor and your sensibilities that keep us all on the road to Thinsville!

Well, Guido, since YOU brought up the toe piercing thought, I wanna come clean with all of you. ( :hmmm: Hmm..betcha that got your attention, huh? What's with a 55 year old thinner lady talkin' about a piercing of some sort....)

I have my left pinkie fingy nail pierced.

Yup, I wear a teensy little gold ring in my pinkie nail - I have for 16 years. :kool: Guid, perhaps my pinkie nail ring may make Leopard Woman rather cool in the eyes of your teenage daughter, eh?

Sheesh! You're talkin' about goin' one further and actually having your toe pierced. I can just picture you now, Guid - The Little Piggy That Went to Market (For those of you outta the loop, that's the big 'Daddy sized' tootsie) sportin' a wide silver toe ring, studded with diamonds...soon all the kids in your neighborhood are :secret: talkin' about the former fat guy now turned hunk who now wears a teensy belt size, shirts with flames and trendy toe rings, all because he can!

What always cracks me up is that people often :shock: stare at it first, and then when they work up enough nerve to ask me, they say, "Oh, did THAT hurt when you had your nail pierced?"

My reply, "Hurt? Yikes! The pain is equal to the pain when ya clip your fingernail."

Then the inquirer will sort of :x grimace and then it dawns on them - no pain involved in trimming one's nails so they :oops: smile and slink off..."

Hah! I :heart: to practice random acts of shock - remember, I'm livin' on the edge of all my possibilities! And you can, too!

Mike, perhaps your daughter will have to catch ya nappin; sometime and paint your toenails blue like I did to Terry and Unca (read one of my previous newsletters!) Unca always wears socks now when he's dozin' on the sofa...Drat! :scratch: Now I'll have to think of somethin' else to do to keep his life interesting. :twisted: I want him to live life on the edge, too! Hee hee.

Hey, Folks, have you tried the Cranberry Mango Punch mixed with sugar free 7 Up, or S-F Ginger ale? I don't drink much S-F stuff but I tried the Cranberry Mango Punch mixed with some of that bubbly effervesced water and I loved it!

Here's to a SUCCESSFUL Medifast weekend - Nothing tastes as good as thin feels! :thumbsup:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

PreviousNext

Return to Come on in.