SOO Confused..

Fitness and Exercise

SOO Confused..

Postby msmac0905 » January 5th, 2005, 11:22 am

Hi there, I am now on day three of MF. No problems to report really. Not feeling hungry or anything. I have however taken aerobics classes on day1 and day2. Please don't yell @ me!! Nancy told me you would!! :cry: Ok, here's my real problem.. I have been admonished to not work out, and as much as I like the sound of it, I have a total fear of not working out AT ALL. It scares me to think of what kind of cardiovascular condition I will be in after not working out at all for 3 - 4 weeks. I took a couple weeks off before Christmas and tried to briskly walk a mile and had problems. Before that I was doing 8-9 minute miles. I am torn. I've always been very active. Mostly aerobics classes and weights. I fear being flabby. So I guess I am looking for guidance on what can I really do as far as exercising w/o sacrificing my results. If not cardio, can I continue w/light weight training? I have the Core Secrets, you know the ball. It has a 20 minute and 45 minute video. Can I do the 20 minute tape on most days and not sacrifice my weight loss? Sorry for the book and probably TMI, but this has been on my mind even before beginning MF. Thanks for any advice. And if you have any stern words, fret not, I am thick skinned! ;)
msmac0905

Postby RavenKat » January 5th, 2005, 12:36 pm

I'm not going to yell at you. :D

Think about how working out might stall your weight loss! Honestly, your heart isn't going to revert back to horrible condition with three weeks off. BUT, your body WILL NOT handle 600 calories AND working out. You'll feel like crap, your metabolism will go into starvation mode and the benefits of MF and ketosis will be lost. Someone else can/will go into the scientific reasons for the above but your body needs to rest and adjust to the new situation.

Think logically. Doctors at Johns Hopkins recommend this plan and the plan says NO EXERCISE for the first 3 weeks or so. Are you smarter than all those doctors? (okay I'm yelling a little..) ;)

I say if you are jonesing for exercise so bad, take a tiny daily walk to get fresh air. Your heart will be happy and you won't send your body into shock and shut down.

msmac, you will not turn to flab in 3 weeks - I promise! Do what's best for your body and let it rest.

Kat
259/180/165
RavenKat
Preferred Member - #50 Club

SOO confused

Postby msmac0905 » January 5th, 2005, 2:09 pm

Thank you Kat, you raise some really good points. Did I mention that I am doing the 5 & 1 and MF70? Does it matter? Probably not. I will cool it w/the exercise, as I DONOT know more than the MD's @ John Hopkins!! :)

Here's to 3wks (and two days) off from the gym!!
msmac0905

Postby Nancy » January 5th, 2005, 4:13 pm

msmac ~

Oh, I :heart: it when others can jump right in and do the :x tsk :x tsk tsking for moi. :lol: Thank you, Kat! ;)

To answer your questions...Since you are accustomed to working out you may do light weight training and as Kat said, gentle walking.

It takes the bod some time (approx. 3 weeks) to become used to searching for and using its stored energy reserves (isn't THAT a nice way to refer to flab?). Since there is not much ready sugars and carbs available in MF to provide the immediate energy necessary for supplying the body with what it needs for such a heavy duty workout, it stresses the body and it just isn't in your best interest to do so.

It is really important to adequately hydrate yourself before, during and after exercise to prevent muscle fatigue.

At the 4th week, begin to increase exercise and activity levels. Pay attention to your body and be sensible. You may need to add another MF product per day so that you are doing a 6 and 1 meal plan, if you expend a lot of calories during your workout. Exercise is vital once you reach tranny and maintenance.

At times it is difficult for me to answer questions simply. There are a lot of factors to consider. Current weight, height, age, health conditions, etc.

A young person who needs to lose 25 pounds and is used to exercising regularly has different needs than a middle age guy who sits at a computer all day and all of a sudden decides he hates his waistline, wants to drop 90 pounds and so he begins to run 4 miles a day and drinks 5 shakes…it is always best to follow the program.

Check out my Feb 2004 Newsletter article about Dangerous Territory. http://www.makemethinner.com/newsletter/medifast-february-newsletter.htm

Don’t mess with Medifast. It works just fine.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

my personal experience wtih exercising and medifast

Postby amelie » June 27th, 2005, 3:48 pm

I was ignorant about the program when I started it. I bought my kit which did not include any info. I was too busy to look it up on the internet that week so I continued my regular lifestyle while being on medifast. There I was in my home gym, doing my 20 minute aerobic warm up before my weight training and getting worried that something was seriously wrong with me. I thought I was having a heart attack! Halfway through my weight training, I had to sit and drink water like a camel. I felt like I was dying. I still did not equate it to my Medifast! Duh. I then had a meal bar and felt guilty that I had one before it was time to have it. Then I drank more water and felt so much better. Only just today did I realize what I had done, when I saw this forum. Thanks! Funny enough, I went and did my second session two days later, and survived, although it did not feel as "wonderful" as it used to be. Thanks for the advice. It will be unusual NOT to exercise for three weeks. I'm worried that I might have problems getting back to my regular exercise regimen - a habit I worked so hard to get in the groove with. I share the comments of another exercise fan here. Best regards to all. I'm doing well, I've lost 8 lbs and I can already feel it in my clothes. But most of all, I have been waking up mornings breathing better! Yes, I had problems breathing before, especially first thing in the morning. It was wonderful the first time I woke up and I was breathing so well! Now, I savour it every morning...every breath is so much easier now. I wish I had known about Medifast earlier! But, as the old adage say, when it's time, to learn the teacher will appear. Thanks to <snip>no competitors please - Mr. Snippy</snip> who have been so helpful. Their services are great. Most of all, Thank You Medifast! I will be back to tell you my dieting success. Something I have not had for two decades now.
amelie

Postby Nancy » June 28th, 2005, 8:16 pm

amelie ~

Exercising can make a person not feel very well and it can jeopardize one's weight loss if it is too intense during the first few weeks of the program. It is especially important to drink lots of water and to take it easy initially. Fast Soup or bouillon is helpful to replace sodium lost through exercise.

It can seem different for people who normally exercise to have to cut back the intesity and duration initially but you will be glad you did it. Your experience is a prime example of what can happen if you don't follow the protocol...

Hope you are feeling fine now and well on your way to a substantial weight loss week!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to The Gymnasium