Sockeye salmon

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Sockeye salmon

Postby Ketann » May 21st, 2006, 7:32 pm

I've always preferred sockeye salmon over other types. I know it has more fat than other types, so I was wondering-

1. Can I even have it?

2. If I can, should I just have 5 ounces like lean beef?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated :).

Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby falisamarie » May 22nd, 2006, 4:31 am

I had never heard of this so I looked it up and found that it has 333 calories and 17g of fat for 7oz?????? I was about to give the standard "you can have 7oz of any seafood" but decided to look it up and this just seems really high to me I am thinking you might be right about going with 5oz of this. I really don't know the definite answer to this so I am going to defer to someone with more knowledge and experience . I am interested to see the answer to this too.

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 22nd, 2006, 10:37 am

Hi, I had sockeye salmon the other night, all 7oz of it! Like Lisa, I looked it up, after the fact. I will definitely have the salmon again, but not as often, and I will only have 3-4 oz of it and make up the difference with some lowfat protein to make up 7oz protein.

Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby mommaof3boys » May 22nd, 2006, 11:32 am

Don't know if this matters but the fat in Salmon is heart-healthy (in comparison to animal fat (chicken and beef and pork) which is not heart healthy).

I know it is one of the Omega fats but don't know which one.

Like I said, don't know if it makes a difference or not but these omega fats are something we should all be eating because of their heart/brain protective effect. Of course, you could take a pill and save some of the fat grams too!

Can't answer the 5 or 7 oz question though.
Medifast start date 5/10/2006

5'6"

151/144/127
mommaof3boys
Trusted Member

Postby Nancy » May 22nd, 2006, 12:52 pm

It is always interesting to look at nutritional values for various food items. Sometimes being a 'Sherlock' can bring about interesting findings...there can be variations among sources for the food content.

Salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids - I know the term 'fatty' does not send a great mental picture to those of us who are trying to get rid of our fatties but this is the :angel: good kind of fat - it helps to lower our risk for coronary :heart: heart disease.

The fatty acids are not the same as saturated fats, the :twisted: kinds that cause artery cloggage...

The American :heart: Heart Association suggests we eat two servings/week of salmon or other fish with omega-3 such as mackerel or tuna because of its heart-protective benefits.

I love to fish and spent many weekends with my Daddy along the riverbanks of Oregon fishing for steelhead, in the mouth of the Columbia River fishing for Chinook and have landed a few biggies deep-sea fishing out of Depoe Bay.

My brother is a superb angler and we have wonderful sources for fresh salmon here in the NW. We eat salmon three or four times a week. Yup, I'm the girl with the spiky hair and the gills...

I have not eaten much fresh sockeye salmon as I rarely see it in our local markets; primarily what I have seen is canned sockeye.

All varieties of salmon offer a good supply of protein plus we get the heart-healthy omega-3's; salmon offers less saturated fats and calories than an equivalent portion of beef, pork or chicken.

My books/resources show pink/chum salmon as the lowest in calories with 296 cals for 7-ounces cooked weight, Atlantic/Silver/Coho in the middle range with 408 cals, sockeye/red at 429 cals for a 7-ounce portion and chinook/king salmon at the high end with 457 calories.

I select a 5-6 ounce portion size for me and give my husband a slightly larger portion size. I measure 7-ounce portions for cod, halibut & tilapia.

Shrimp and crab are also good protein choices - they are low in fat and calories, as are sea scallops. We combine a hard-boiled egg with 4 ounces of shrimp, crab or scallops to make a nice seafood Louis.

Happy fishing!

PS Hey, I just thunk of sumpin’ fishy – The BIG one (my buns and hips) got away when I started eating more grilled/broiled fish! Cool, eh? I used to always dip our fish in egg and then bread or cracker crumbs and fry it in butter or Crisco or make a beer batter and deep-fry halibut, cod and salmon...no wonder we were chubbabubbas...
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Ketann » May 22nd, 2006, 2:56 pm

Thanks everyone for responding, and thanks a lot Nancy for your very informative answer. I like all fish, esp. Salmon, Tilapia, Cod...nevermind I just like fish!

There was a sale on sockeye the other day here and I bought 5 pounds!
:shock: Don't worry, I won't be eating it all at one sitting. ;) Sockeye is a special treat to me, and if I can only have 4 or 5 ounces, that's fine with me.
I plan to have it just once weekly, as I have a variety of other fish in my freezer...plus chicken. Tofu in the fridge :)

Hugs,

Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » May 22nd, 2006, 3:07 pm

Keturah ~

You're planning ahead for weight loss success by keeping your freezer well-stocked with healthy low fat food - yeah!

Hey, Kid ~ I see that you have less than a century of pounds to go now - how great is that? :bananadance: Skinny on!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Diana » May 22nd, 2006, 10:18 pm

We're a fish lovin' household, here! Lots and lots of salmon for me. (Mike has trouble with it these days and opts for something a little lighter like tilapia.) In fact, we just keep the indoor griller on the kitchen counter! And it makes a great addition to a big, leafy salad with red or green onions the night after. (Like you, Nancy, I keep to about 5 oz.)

We also like tilapia baked with salsa (about 1/4c per piece of fish).

Then, of course, there's the garlic! Butter not necessary.

OH! and I made a pretty yummy mock cioppino a few weeks back with some canned tomatoes, fresh celery, onion, garlic, basil (I LOVE fresh basil!), rosemary, and....whatever Italianish type spices that happened to leap from the shelf. I measured out the leftover fish, supplemented with shrimp and scallops, into a pasta bowl and laddled the tomatoes, etc. over the top. Major nummers!!!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Nancy » May 22nd, 2006, 10:35 pm

Sounds awesome, thanks for sharing!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy