Side Effects??

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Side Effects??

Postby smiller » September 9th, 2005, 6:26 am

Hi, I've been on MF 5 and 1 for 3 1/2 weeks now, down 15+ lbs. I'll give my schedule below for review but am not sure about side effects. I feel like my tummy is growling within 1/2 hour of eating every time, I'm tired - just no energy, a bit grumpy (although my hubby would say alot grumpy but whatever...) and basically just dragging. I know I struggle to get in all 5 supplements per day but am just not sure when I'm supposed to be feeling better. Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

M-F: (weekends are different as I sleep in) I'm up at 5:30 and I am in no way a morning person. I roll out of bed, stumble to the shower, get dressed, groom, find my van, drive over an hour to work, get my work started, get coffee and then I'm ready for:

8:30/9:00 Cappucino
11:30/12:30 soup (sometimes w/crackers; usually made with a fast soup packet)
3:30/4:00 Bar
6:30/7:00 lean and green
8:30/9:00 shake or soup
9:30 Bedtime... zzzzzzzz

A few times a week, I might have pickles or celery and sometimes I have crackers as a late night snack just by themselves.
Keep looking up, blessings on you, Sheila M.
Psalm 40

Restart 11/2/05
238.8/228.2/175

smiller
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » September 9th, 2005, 8:15 am

Well for a start, you are cheating yourself out of calories that your body needs. Your schedule shows four supplements and your lean and green meal -- the plan is called the five and one, not the four and one. You can have a shake or whatever (anything except a bar) just before going to bed on this plan.

You should be having your first shake or supplement within an hour of getting out of bed. Your blood sugar is at its lowest after you've slept (and thus fasted) for seven or eight hours, and you need to get it back to a level that gives you energy and allows you to go through the day without dragging.

I have found that when I am Medifasting properly I have more energy, and sleep less, than otherwise. Good luck to you.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby 24KaratGold » September 9th, 2005, 8:17 am

Oh, and another thing. Your schedule actually is showing only three supplements! The fast soup is NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT a Medifast meal replacement -- it is a snack! You may have one a day in addition to your FIVE supplements, but you NEED FIVE supplements.

So, to help out here, as a recap:

(1) Have your first shake within an hour of getting up;
(2) Have at least THREE supplements by 2:00 p.m.;
(3) Fast soups are NOT supplements; have a regular soup or one of the other products instead; and
(4) Make sure you are having FIVE products plus your lean and green, not four.

I bet it makes a difference!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby smiller » September 9th, 2005, 8:23 am

My soup I usually make adding a fast soup packet for flavor, so I should be fine there. Thanks for the input, it just seems like so much to eat. Which is actually pretty amusing, being I've been known to eat myself into oblivion... I've got to really work on eating earlier but that's one of the hardest things for me to do. Thanks again.
Psalm 40

Restart 11/2/05
238.8/228.2/175

smiller

Postby estrellita » September 9th, 2005, 8:46 am

this is a stupid question, but what is a fast soup? i have the medifast chili and chicken and rice, are those considered fast soups?
start date: Sept 4, 2005
goal: lose 20 lbs
estrellita

Postby 24KaratGold » September 9th, 2005, 8:55 am

No. The fast soups are the savory beef, robust tomato, and I think there's a chicken one too. They come in smaller packets, with more packets to the box, and they are a snack, not a meal replacement.

I too found at the beginning of the program that it was sometimes difficult for me to get all five supplements in, but Nancy threatened me if I didn't! :shock: It really does make a difference.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby mama of 2 » September 9th, 2005, 9:14 am

Hi everyone

Everyone says they eat pickles. What size pickles can you eat?

I started MF last week.

If I eat or drink every 3 hours I don't get so hungry. I have to make myself do it sometimes.

Lelaine
We can do it.
mama of 2
Regular Member - #20 Club

Cheating yourself

Postby Jan » September 9th, 2005, 9:36 am

Hi Sheila,
24 is correct -- You are cheating yourself. By restricting your calories -- not adding the 5th supplement -- you are putting youself into a "self preservation" mode. Your body is in effect saying "hmmmmm she is trying to starve me to death -- I know what to do about that -- :x I'm hanging on to everything I have" That is you are actually slowing down your weight loss. Plus, you are not getting the nutrition your body needs. M.F. products are chucked full of vitamins and minerals. You should have more energy when you add the 5th supplement.
I'll be watching your progress on the forum
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Mommy2girls » September 9th, 2005, 8:11 pm

I just wanted to add, that I usually also do not eat within an hour of waking up. I (opposite of you) AM a morning person and 5am is usually my waking hour. I also head to Curves 3 mornings a week and work out for half an hour and stretch when I'm done. I usually get home around 7am and sometimes don't have my first supplement until 8 or even 9am. I'm not saying that this is a perfect plan but I prefer to workout on an empty stomach. I always drink water after working out and usually have my ONE cup of coffee for the day before eating anything else.

You have been given great advice! Keep shakin'!
Sheila

Maintaining a –45lb loss....

Mommy2girls
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby mytime » September 9th, 2005, 9:33 pm

Yeah well if we are confessing I get up 3 days a week at 3 am then not to bed until 10pm, so ah on those day I don't start my MF until 6 am and then have something every 2.5 or 3 hours until I am done with my 5 and 1. I will tell you eat all of the MF. Don't skip - it can stop the wt loss and really mess you up. I have contemplated having an extra shake on these days as I am up for a lot of hours but thus far it seems ok. Best of luck to you. Too funny how all we (I)ever thought about before was food ate too much of it and now it seems like actually eating six times a day is hard as heck. Nancy said on this program we can eat late and thus I who never ate past 6 EVER - is now eating last supplement at 8 or 9pm depending on the day - and guess what ? Losing wt ? Unreal. Mytime
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » September 9th, 2005, 10:23 pm

smiller ~

:shock: Huh? What's this? Only 4 packets?

I may have to come over there and personally harm you...you are going for almost 11 hours with no grub. No wonder you feel lousy. From 9:30 PM to 8:30 AM - Medigrubless? This is NOT GOOD.

I understand the need for sleeping until the very last minute and groggily getting cute and blasting off for the day. I used to get up at 5 AM and not get to bed until 1:30 or 2 AM. I needed every nano-second to snore. Fix your oatmeal the night before - stir a packet into 8 ounces of water and add a dash of cinnamon and let it rest overnight in the refer. It will take you just 1.5 - 2 minutes to nuke and you can just about drink it while you are grooming.

(If you can't hack the oatmeal or have it because you are on a soyless regime, then have your Cappuccino at 5:30.)

Then at 8:30 or 9 have your Cappuccino and onward with the rest of your day. You can have a 9:30 PM bedtime packet of something - I love the Chai Latte at bedtime.

By cutting a packet a day, you're missing out on 20% of the daily nutrients and then over a course of 3.5 weeks...well, no wonder you feel puny, Hunny!

Keep us posted!

If you
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Lisa Renee » September 11th, 2005, 3:48 am

Smiller, everyone here is totally right! Not to gang up on you, because you are just trying to get healthy right? I must tell you, I had the hardest time at first getting my packets in as well. When I realized that I actually lost more weight having 6 packets instead of 5 a day, it blew me away. Not only did I feel better, but the scale was going down faster too. You can do this, it just takes a little adjustement and YOU ARE WORTH IT. Don't forget that!!!
Lisa Renee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby smiller » September 12th, 2005, 7:46 am

Thanks everyone - I have quite a few of the RTD but they aren't near as good as the regular shakes - the smell is really unappealing. Guess I will have to use that first thing in the morning and again maybe just before bed. I will try to do better - I promise... I knew there had to be something going on. Does the eating within an hour of getting up have any effect on your weight loss or is it just as long as you are getting your 5 and 1, you should be good?
Psalm 40

Restart 11/2/05
238.8/228.2/175

smiller

Postby Nancy » September 12th, 2005, 10:17 am

smiller ~

Yes, by eating within an hour of getting up in the morning, your metabolism gets a jump start on your day and by having oatmeal or a shake it gradually raises your blood sugar rather than sending it up too quickly by eating a bagel or a donut. Because our products are balanced, it will not raise your glucose too high and result in a downward rapid crash. By eating regularly every 2-3 hours, you will maintain an even blood sugar and not feel starved or get a headache.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to The Weight Room