Interesting Side Effects

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Interesting Side Effects

Postby Lisa Renee » September 26th, 2005, 9:14 am

This is something I posted on my Obesity Help Profile and was wondering if anyone here noticed that they have horrible reactions to naughty foods when they cheat on their Medifast? Here is my latest update, I didn't want to extract that part only so I am including the whole thing.
Obesity Help is mostly comprised of people seeking weight loss surgery, just in case you are wondering why I mention bariatric surgery.

09/26/05:

Sorry I didn't post sooner. Sometimes I forget until I get emails saying "Hey! Update your profile so we know how you are!". So here I am. Guess what!?!? I am down now to 353.8!!! I am 4/10ths of a pound away from 30 pounds lost! WOOHOO! I can't believe that a month and a half ago I was carrying around 30 more pounds! I can't even believe I am doing this without surgery. Yes, I have cheated a couple times. I am not going to lie. There was one time I had pizza when I knew better, but I sure paid for it in the bathroom afterwards. OMG. My heart raced and I got really shakey and sick to my stomach. I felt so nasty. I had the runs for hours and hours. At first I thought there was something wrong with the pizza but then figured out that after having such nutritious food for over a month, when I went to eat the crappy pizza, my digestive system said "heck no!". I confirmed this a couple weeks later when I tried some regular soda and again was sick for hours afterwards. I thought I was having a heart attack :O. So for me, this is a lot like WLS in the fact that I am never hungry and there seems to be some very obvious consequences to my eating the wrong things. I know of a few post-ops who ate things they should not have, but it didn't stop them from reaching their goals. They have a tool-surgery. They can mess up their tool. I have a tool also--Medifast. I can mess up my tool, or use it to the best of my ability. Either way, one can mess up the outcome if they want to badly enough. It's just a matter of getting into a position that self control is more attainable. Back to the pizza...I didn't even enjoy it. It was almost mechanical for me to eat it because it wasn't really for pleasure. It was as if I couldn't wait to be done with it so I could get back to the good stuff. That made me think a lot. After doing MF(Medifast) for 30 days, I had created a new habit and then when I ate the pizza, it was not part of my new habit; therefore it felt very uncomforable and hardly pleasurable. It actually was a relief to finish it and get onto my MF the next day. I was actually excited to get back into my routine. I think that mentally post-ops deal with this as well. Mental hunger is a big problem and some people have WLS and only realize afterwards that they still have to address the mental part of why they overate. I feel like I am more in control of my appetite so that I can make a clearer decision then I would have before I started this program. I tried WW and a bunch of other things and I pushed my limits every which way I could. On this program, I can't add a little more of this or that because it's already portioned for me. I eat what I am suppose to every 2 hours and that's it. I pretty much like most of what they have to choose from, and I am pretty picky. I am satisfied with it, and I think I can do this and the modified program when I reach goal for the rest of my life. Gosh, I can't believe I just said that. I never thought I could do ANYTHING for the rest of my life...LOL

My family life is doing pretty good too. We decided to do more as a family and my hubby bought this cool bingo game and we lit up a disco ball and played music and the kids and I played bingo while my husband read the numbers off. There were even cash prizes LOL! That is the most fun we have had together in a long time. I am so thankful for the work that God is doing in my life. I am so glad I finally turned this all over to Him for once.

I also went to see my doctor last week and he was so pleased with what I am doing that he asked my Medifast Health advisor (Lisa Castro) for some information because he may want to offer Medifast to his patients. I can't believe that this is all happening. This man did everything he could to get me WLS. When that didn't work out he thought there wasn't much left for me to do because I had tried so many diets already. He couldn't believe how great I am doing and how good my blood pressure and labs were. What can I say? I am incredibly happy. That's my update.
Lisa Renee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » September 26th, 2005, 10:03 am

Great post Strawberry and great progress...

We're all proud of you, and I'm so glad we could be a small part of your success.

Keep us posted and let us know if you need anything.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Hi Strawberry

Postby Toxsiq » September 26th, 2005, 1:51 pm

You know I had the same exact reaction, and this is my first week. I knew that my sister in laws birthday dinner was coming up on Sunday and my second day of MFing (last weds) I was looking forward to the break from the shakes. I was excited about the dinner and wine and everything. But by Saturday I was making the birthday dessert -cupcakes- SO easy to sneak one- and I had no desire. By dinner on Sunday I chewed the food and finished a third of what I would've if it had been a week before. I had one cupcake and about three tablespoons of icecream and a regular mountain dew.(Big Mistake) It wasn't through discipline, that was all that I wanted and it was a delicious filet dinner but it just wasn't that, like...immpressive or something. Something was gone from the experience. I had no DRIVE to taste everything. And very quickly after dinner I had to excuse myself and I thought I was gonne have a siezure my stomach was cramping so badly!! My body was DETERMINED to get rid of everything I had put in it. I felt sick for the rest of the night. I know it was the food because I felt the very same way that I did one horrible night many moons ago when I was away at Fat Camp. For 5 weeks I ate perfectly healthy. On parents day the kids who had visitors got to leave camp and do whatever so they shopped and brought back "contraband" cookies and candy and sold them. I ate a pound and a half of Skittles in about 20 mins and I threw up that plus more for the next 4 hours! Oh I was so sick and I did it to myself which was the worst thing of all. Anywho,
unfortunately I can totally relate to your story :D

Happy Trails...

xoxo tox
319/314/145

"The control of our being is not unlike the combination to a safe, each advance and retreat is a step toward ones final goal." -Bruce Lee
Toxsiq

Postby Lisa Renee » September 26th, 2005, 2:25 pm

Isn't amazing what we do to ourselves in the name of "living it up"? LOL... I am starting to think about my choices and feel satisfied living it up playing bingo and cuddling with my very attractive husband... hehe I mentioned I felt like I didn't deserve all these new things in my life and then I realize that I had deserved it all along but never thought enough of myself to realize it. I am so glad you and I found this site. I am here to share support with you anytime you want!
Lisa Renee

Postby dlr2424 » September 27th, 2005, 11:26 am

Lisa..... :hug: ...what an awesome post.........thank you so much for sharing that!!!!.........LWS is not a sure fix.... :no: ......I know of someone who lost most all her weight only to regain it plus a great deal more.........it is all in our head...mind...our own control..... :brickwall: ....and we can be so imprisoned within ourselves........ :angel: .....if we all just let go & let God..........if we take each day.......do our part...........and pray for strength to handle this life-long journey...... :yes: ....we could win this battle..........or any battle we are challenged with.................why do we connect food with joy?........it is the bingo game we will always remember...........not what we ate when we played bingo......and as knowledgable as we are of this fact.....it is still a temptation..........keep up the great work.........and yes ..... :you: ....YOU ARE WORTHY OF LIFE"S GREATEST BLESSINGS

Donna....dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424

Postby Lisa Renee » September 27th, 2005, 6:58 pm

Thanks Donna, you are so right. Last night during devotion with my husband we talked about the fact that I have never really thought I could be exceptional. The word itself seems intimidating. You know what? I feel that we are all called to be EXCEPTIONAL and we do deserve the best. We should always try to do our best and be the exception which is another way to think of this word. I am called to be the exception when it comes to how I relate to others and I am also called to live an exceptional life. I am also going to be the exception when it comes to statistics. They say that only 5% of people who loose weight keep it off, WELL I AM THE EXCEPTION AND SO ARE ALL OF YOU!!!
Lisa Renee

Postby martha » September 27th, 2005, 8:50 pm

LISA--

GREAT POST.. thanks for bringing it to us.. I also have a friend who went though the surgery only to regain all of her weight..It really is up to us to keep it off. if we return to our old way of eating we will gain it back.. and then some..I KNOW from experience.. :x I wish you great sucess with your MF journey..together we can do this.. and I know we will be the exception :mrgreen: have a blessed week..martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Lisa Renee » September 27th, 2005, 9:11 pm

Thanks and U2 Martha. :hi5:
Lisa Renee

Postby joysea » September 28th, 2005, 2:37 pm

Lisa and Friends~
Exceptional posts!

I don't know if I ever mentionned that I had WLS back in 1981...stomach stapling only - a new procedure at that time. I had to stay in the hospital one week, a long, ugly scar (which is still visible) - and the darn procedure only lasted 6 months tops!! The staples broke away and I must have "passed" them so the surgeon said! I could once again eat everything in mass quantities...
so let the story be told that it was sheer desperation (or so I thought) that I attempted to go that route. Thank God there was no intestinal bypass at the time!

Using Medifast since 2003 has taught me that there really is another means to a definite end...getting to goal and maintaining. Nancy and so many others are definitely proof of that!

To BELIEVE that we are exceptional takes action - especially daily mantras or devotions that accentuate this belief.

Let us all do this if we haven't already...I think it will make a big difference in our approach to this new way of life.

Joyce (who is exceptional!)
Joyce

Highest Weight 198//166.3/130
joysea
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby dlr2424 » September 28th, 2005, 4:09 pm

Strawberry Shortcake wrote: I feel that we are all called to be EXCEPTIONAL and we do deserve the best. We should always try to do our best and be the exception which is another way to think of this word. I am called to be the exception when it comes to how I relate to others and I am also called to live an exceptional life. I am also going to be the exception when it comes to statistics. They say that only 5% of people who loose weight keep it off, WELL I AM THE EXCEPTION AND SO ARE ALL OF YOU!!!

Lisa.........What an awesome way to look at this word. I've always struggled with lack of self worth and would feel bold in thinking I deserve an exceptional life...... :huh: ....however .........looking at it as ...trying to do our best and be the exception is really (IMO) what we are called to do..... :yes: .....and if we master that then we will succeed in being EXCEPTIONAL.... :thumbup: .....thank you for sharing that thought with us....... :angel: ...........

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424

Thanks Strawberry

Postby Jill » October 1st, 2005, 2:22 pm

Thanks Strawberry for sharing so much of yourself on here! Your honesty and insight are inspirational and I am certain you are EXCEPTIONAL!!!
Jill
Started May 30, 2005
Beginning Weight 265lbs.
Current Weight 205lbs.
Goal Weight 155lbs.
Jill
Regular Member - #60 Club

Postby TamiL » October 1st, 2005, 7:42 pm

Strawberry...your post was great....very helpful and full of insight....our weight struggles never truly leave us...but we can only do this day to day. IM back on medifast ...second time around after gaining almost all my weight back...today is day 1 for me...and I know this works...I cant wait for the food demons to leave my head..when my ketosis starts...and my hunger subsides..it all gets easier!!
Keep up the great work...happy shakin ;)

Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Lisa Renee » October 1st, 2005, 7:53 pm

You ALL inspire me. I am so glad to know you all! :bighug:
Lisa Renee

Return to The Weight Room