Shift of focus?

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Shift of focus?

Postby Lauren » July 13th, 2009, 11:03 am

Hey, everyone! Hope you all are enjoying your summer so far, I am! I did post a few weeks ago, but it was right when the transition to the new site was being launched and it got lost in the shuffle. Just my luck, eh? But all is great with me, still totally in line, and feeling great!

I've had a recent and unique experience, which is totally positive, but can't say exactly what it says about me. Food/eating/binging/constantly thinking about food/my weight/the scale/weight loss - this is the story of my life. I basically refer to it as "my life's albatross." Most people have something crappy that invades their head/heart space, and my relationship with food has always been mine. And I assume this is true for many of you as well. So, what exactly does it say about me, a strong, independent woman (who, I thought didn't NEED a man!), that when I meet a fantastic guy and get into a really healthy and wonderful relationship (very recently) that when I'm with him I am NOT thinking about food? Don't get me wrong, we eat out all the time at wonderful restaurants, share delicous and healthy dishes and all that good stuff, but what I mean is that when we're together I am not constantly stewing about when my next meal is. He knows everything about my history with eating, dieting, MF, all that. He's totally supportive of the way that I eat (every 2-3 hours, MF meals as snacks, lots of veggies and steamed stuff, etc), but I am finding that I, brace yourself now, actually FORGET to eat when I'm with him!!! This is completely foreign territory! Ha. I think it is because there's something about him that I find calming and that takes away what I like to call my "crazy," i.e. the neuroses and crap, so that it's alleviating my need to feed...but I'd hate to think that I'm just some girl who needed a man to be happy. YUCK! Hahaha

Anyway, it's given me something new to think about and ponder. Any one else ever have this experience? And yes, regardless of all the luxe dinners out and adding some more drinks into the week, I have lost a few more pounds. It's crazy!

That's all for now, miss you guys!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Re: Shift of focus?

Postby dede4wd » July 13th, 2009, 11:58 am

I'm so happy for you! Does he have a brother (kidding, I could just stand NOT to be thinking about food right now!)

I have had that feeling, and it's great. It was new and a little scary to me because I felt like I've always been carrying this little food guy on my shoulder and he made his attention known dramatically. Then, when I was focusing on the new guy, the guy wasn't as loud and went away (for a while) and having to be reminded to eat blew my mind!

I say it's normal and wonderful, just remember to eat as often as you can! Passing out and hitting the sidewalk isn't as exciting as it sounds! LOL! Just kidding, it sounds like you found a great guy to calm the crazies!

You do not NEED a man, you are a strong, beautiful, wonderful woman who happened to find a man that fits you perfectly and you feel good when you're with him. You're not that girl, you're you and just enjoy it!

Thrilled for you!

D
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Lauren » July 21st, 2009, 9:34 am

Thanks for that super-sweet post, DeDe, and I assure you that I don't FORGET about food, it's just not weighing in (uh, pardon the pun) as frequently! Nope, no brother, just a sister, but I'll keep my eyes out for you...us tall chicks gotta stay together! haha

Cheers to you -

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Tawanda » July 22nd, 2009, 7:08 am

Hi Lauren, I just had to smile at the happiness that came through on your post, both in regards to the enjoyment you are having in the new relationship and also in marveling how food (and thoughts of food) have quieted down. I always enjoy seeing updates from you. :)
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Lauren » August 4th, 2009, 8:21 am

Thanks, T., and I'm sorry for the delayed response!

Yeah, I'm pretty damn happy, in both the relationship and with the food! I still totally have my issues, but I definitely feel that I approach a more "normal" state of eating and exercising when I am around my boyfriend. It's not that I necessarily eat more or eat less, it's just that I tend to be a bit less extreme in my choices. Trying a bite or two of something that I wouldn't have considered a year ago, but also compensating by eating a smaller portion in general.

I've always been a volume eater, so I generally live by the "I'd rather eat a HUGE salad than a tiny bite of cake," and this usually still holds true...however I seem to be periodically finding a middle ground more often with him, and it's interesting.

Fortunately this new way of eating has only proved positive on the scale front, as I weigh less than ever, but feel more fulfilled. Additionally, I'm being a bit kinder to myself and my body when it comes to exercise. I still generally run or work out 7 days a week, but lately I've been willing to take off a day if I feel like it, and NOT beat myself up about it. Or I'm willing to have an "easy" exercise day, instead of feeling obliged to do full throttle every time.

Basically I am just trying to become a bit more moderate. I can't say that it's BECAUSE of the boyfriend, but rather that his presence has enabled me to have something to share my attention. It used to be all about work and the diet/exercise (and friends/family, of course, but you know what I mean), and now there's this whole new entity in my life that requires time and thought and energy, and I guess it just means that things have adjusted organically.

Love it, whatever the reason!

Cheers to you all,

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Tawanda » August 4th, 2009, 10:43 am

:D
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda

Postby katieb920 » August 5th, 2009, 5:03 am

Lauren,

Just reading your post made me smile :D I am truly happy for you.
Katie
Katie
katieb920

Postby katesmom » August 19th, 2009, 7:20 am

Awesome Lauren !
Thanks for your continued inspriation to all of us !
PAm :)
356/331/150
Started 7/24/10
Can't wait to WIN this race !!
katesmom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Return to Maintenance