Scale broke - SO BUMMED

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Scale broke - SO BUMMED

Postby Kimbob » January 24th, 2004, 8:33 pm

My last weigh-in had me at 211, woo hoo! Then I didn't weigh for a little bit. I know I was down something from there; I could feel it and see it in my clothes and I had been VERY good.

And then horror struck:

MY SCALE BROKE

I ran out and bought the nicest scale I could find at target, and then weighed myself. According to the new scale, I was 215. That's up at least 4 pounds from where I was; most likely more. I do know that this doesn't mean I gained weight. My original weight would have been higher on this scale as well, so I'm sure I've lost the same amount of pounds, just different numbers. The thing is, I DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I WEIGHED ON THE OLD SCALE, SO I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHERE I AM!!!

I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet, lose "credit" for however many pounds I had lost, and start over at 215. This sucks big time. I'm so discouraged :( :( :(

Kimbob the Seriously Bummed
----------------------------------
Start Date: 12/09/03
243/210/170 (adjusted and guesstimated for new scale)
Kimbob
Regular Member - #30 Club

scale bummer

Postby Jade » January 25th, 2004, 10:59 am

Hi Kimbob,
I know how you feel. Isn't it amazing how stuff like this knocks us off of our mountaintop. I'm going by the "credit" principle as well. My teenage son went to the doctor and came home and told me the scale is wrong. 4 lbs. light according to him. I'm not going to change anything cuz it will just make me crazy. :shock: When I was working for a private GYN we had the doctor's scale re-calibrated. All of a sudden everyone had gained 7lbs.! Our patients were suicidal when they came in and thier weight was up so much. I guess we just need to concentrate on how much we are LOSING. Anyway, keep going..it's working. Love your posts. Jade
Jade
Trusted Member - #50 Club

Postby finalstraw » January 25th, 2004, 11:56 am

I recently saw a post about a Weight Watcher scale that was supposed to be the most accurate. I considered buying it, but then thought I don't want to go through 'maybe gaining'. My daughter has her own scale and mine if 4 lbs heavier than hers and two pounds lighter than my doctors.

Take your new scale and adjust it back to where you know you were and go from there, that way you can still keep track of actual weight lost.

:D
Stephanie

Rom 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes:

1st goal - 199 (I will change when I have met it)
Started 1/18/04 at 284
Currently 251.9
finalstraw
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby SneezyKitten » January 25th, 2004, 1:47 pm

Hi Kimbob!

No room for devastation here! 1) It gave you a reason to go Target shopping and in my book, that's ALWAYS cause for celebration! (Did you get the one that is glass with the silver parts and digital display by Taylor?)

2) We (or at least, I, for one) NEED your humor!!!!!!! :-P

and

3) When it comes down to it, you still have lost what you have lost! I too often fall prey to the numbers on the scale, but whatever number it says does not change the actual pounds you have lost!!!!

I researched scales on Epinions before buying. Several reviews made mention that moving parts (ie: dials versus digital) in lower end scales are often off by a couple of pounds. :!:
SneezyKitten
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby sher » January 25th, 2004, 2:10 pm

Hi there,
I am the one that told about the WW scale...it is truly awsome....it measures in tenths and it NEVER changes...you know how you stand on it 5 times and its different each time..this does NOT do that..I love this, close to perfection...Its $59.98 at hsn.com...just put in weight watchers scale, and it will come up...SO WORTH the money....

Sher
starting again at 196
going for white pants AGAIN...lol....
goal - when I LOOK and FEEL good

God bless us all
Sherry
sher
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Kimbob » January 25th, 2004, 2:11 pm

I DID get the Taylor one! Woo hoo - you are psychic! ;)

The old scale was digital, too, but was apparently just... I dunno... different.

The only problem is that I hadn't weighed myself for several days before the scale broke, so I honestly don't know what I weighed. The last weighing had me at 211. The new one today has me at 215.5. My assumption is that I must have been at most 209 when it broke, so maybe it's off by about 6 pounds? However, trying to constantly do the math might make me nuts. Maybe what I'll do is adjust my starting weight UP 6 pounds and just go from there for weight tracking. Then, even the numbers aren't as LOW as I'd like, at least I'll have the right amount lost in total.

Off to change my signature line.....

OK - now I'm just 2.5 pounds away from the 30# club!

Kimbob the Coping
----------------------------------
Start Date: 12/09/03
243/210/170 (adjusted and guesstimated for new scale)
Kimbob
Regular Member - #30 Club

Postby sher » January 25th, 2004, 2:16 pm

I TOO HAVE TRIED ALL OF THOSE SCALES AT TARGET, WALMART, KMART...BAH.... :x NOT WORTH THE MONEY...THIS WW SCALE , WELL, I WILL NEVER HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER...NEW TEHNOLOGY, AND A 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE AT HSN...
starting again at 196
going for white pants AGAIN...lol....
goal - when I LOOK and FEEL good

God bless us all
Sherry
sher
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Return to The Weight Room