Newbie Bummed out

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Newbie Bummed out

Postby GabbysMom » February 17th, 2005, 9:12 am

Hi Everyone,

First let me say I am a new Medifaster and new to the forum...I am on day 7 and have been "eavesdropping" for about 10 days. Thank you all for your commitment to this board it is very inspiring. I have been very inspired by Camille's weight loss. I have a similar amount of weight to lose so it is good to be able to look at her posts and see her success. Thanks Camille for sharing your journey.

Now about me...I have yo-yo dieted for the past 10 years but am now at my highest weight after having had my first baby in October (225 at delivery down to 190 at 6 weeks postpardum 12/6/04 and yo yo-ing between 185 and 190 since).

I started Medifast last Thursday the 10th and weighed myself today and lost 5 pounds making me 185. I know I should be thrilled but this is my problem. I have lost this same 5 pounds at least 15 times since October without a liquid fast. I feel discouraged that this isn't going to work for me.

I want to be thin for myself, I miss the energy I had and I miss the way I looked and felt when I was thin. I want to be thin for my husband, I am a shadow of the woman that he married 2 years ago. I want to be a great role model for my daughter so she never knows the pain and emptiness of being overweight. But I am discouraged about this 5 pound weight loss...if it would have been 6 or 7 anything else but 5. Help I'm in a rut and just started!

So I am sad and frustrated wondering if I really can get rid of this weight. I am on the 5+1 plan and this is my schedule:

6am shake
8:30 oatmeal
11 shake
1 lean and green
3 shake
5:30 bar
7:30 shake

I have even done the full fast a few times. Does anyone have any ideas? I feel like throwing in the towel already and it is only day 8. I want to know Camille's success, how can I do it?

Julia goal weight 130...5 down 55 to go
GabbysMom

Postby bk » February 17th, 2005, 9:21 am

Julia - the first thing I noticed is that you are not, in fact, on the 5+1. You are taking 6 supplements a day + a lean & green meal.

That may explain why your first week's loss is not as great as you hoped. How strict are you being on your lean and green? And goodness, give the program some time to work!!! You have lost the same 5 pounds *15* times. That may have made your metabolism a little cranky! Plus, the yo-yo dieting for the past 10 years.

The way I see it, is that you can go off program, struggle with those same five pounds over and over again, or stick with it and see what happens. Are you drinking all of your water? Try drinking more.

In the end, you have to make up your mind to just do it. Give the program a MONTH, not a week, and then see if you're happy. Even if you turn out to be a slow loser, you're still losing. What's the alternative?

Good luck and stick with it!
bk
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » February 17th, 2005, 9:29 am

Hi Julia!

Five pounds in a week and you are discouraged?? Goodness, woman, we're all gonna be in here congratulating you for it! Discrouagement would be if you had GAINED 5 pounds and were at 195 instead of 185!

That said, you'll find a post from me somewhere on these boards that says more or less the same thing about my first 20 pounds that you are saying about your first five. But no matter what you choose to do to lose weight, you are always going to have to lose that same five pounds to start. The trick is in the next five pounds, and the five after that. You've got to give it some time to get going. As they say around here, "Trust the program."

Your post doesn't say if you've always been heavy. I have. I was a fat kid (my mom used to take me to the doctor's just to try to deal with my weight), a fat teen, a fat college student, a fat young wife and mother, and still fat. I have lost weight on other programs when I had the proper incentive (wanted to get pregnant and not be at 300 pounds), but never managed to stay on them long enough to take ALL the weight off. I walked out of high school at 197, hit 200 in college, and never have been back there since; the least I've weighed since then is 212 just before I got pregnant for the second time. I've never believed that I could see the other side of 200 again.

Until now.

I've lost 29 pounds in six and a half weeks. And while it's not the easiest thing I've ever done in my life, it's by no means the most difficult, either. I bought a new blouse on Tuesday two sizes smaller than one I bought last May (same exact blouse, just two sizes smaller). For the first time in my adult life, I really think I'm going to get below 200. And part of the reason for that is that this program works fast. Twice, after 10 months on Weight Watchers I lost 50-60 pounds, and that's great, but not fast enough when you need to lose that same amount all over again. On this program, I think that with 10 months of faithfulness to it, I might just be at goal. And that's awesome, because I've NEVER been thin!

Drink water, lots and lots of water. Remember that you can have some other things too, if you need them. Take a look at Nancy's post here: http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/view ... highlight= (bottom of the page), and she will tell you what other things you can have to eat right now (celery, pickles, bouillon) in addition to the supplements and snacks.

I bet you have more than just a week's worth of products in the house, because people usually buy at least the two week starter kit, and often the month starter kit. The products aren't cheap, and you've already successfully made it through the yuckiest three days, getting up and running. You've got time and money invested in this already, so don't give up now! Trust the program for at least the first 28 days, and see what your results are. I bet you'll be thrilled!

And welcome to the forum!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby raederle » February 17th, 2005, 9:39 am

Hi Julia-- bk and 24K have some great thoughts, so I'll try not to repeat 'em. One thing I wanted to add is that 5 pounds in 7 days is amazing. It is a lot of weight to ditch in one week. True, some people lose more than that their first week, but many lose significantly less, so I think you're setting yourself up for frustration and failure by setting a first-week goal artificially (and arbitrarily) high. In comparison, I would *kill* to lose 5 pounds a week right now! :mrgreen:

bk and 24K are right-- give it a month. Fluid levels in women, especially, fluctuate dramatically, so a week-long effort will not give you a good idea of what this plan can do for you over the long haul. Camille's success *is* awesome, but she'll be the first to tell you that she didn't lose even 5 pounds every week, week after week. Losses come in spurts and patterns for many people, and you may simply be in a week where your bod is resisting; next week may be very different.

There may also be other reasons why you're not losing as quickly as you'd like; besides bk's great catch about your taking an extra supp and asking you to look closely at your lean & green, take a look at how much water you're consuming, how much caffeine, and how much exercise. (Exercise in the beginning stages of MF can actually slow weight loss.) Maybe if you gave us more info, we could come up with some suggestions?

But I hope you remember, this plan works if you are compliant and if you let it. Those are 2 big "ifs," because to let it work, you gotta give it time! It didn't take 3 weeks to gain 55 pounds; it ain't gonna leave in 3 weeks. (But, oh, how I wish!! ;) )

You've made a terrific commitment to yourself and to your health; we're so glad you did, and so glad you found us. Stick with it, try to be patient even though it's hard, and you *will* be rewarded!

Cheers,
rae
Last edited by raederle on February 17th, 2005, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby doglover » February 17th, 2005, 9:41 am

Hi Julia! (beautiful name BTW) I too am new to MF and this forum. You may have seen some of my posts on my ultimate CONFUSION! But now I am on the right track. Anyway....I too noticed you have 6 +1 rather than 5+1. The other thing is most people say to eat the bar early in the day as it has the most carbs of anything on the program, and make sure to drink 8 oz of water w/ it. So maybe switch that to an earlier time.

Also, the water thing will really help. I bought some 33 oz. flavored waters (no cal, no carbs, no nothing!) and drink 1 a day. I then re-fill it with regular water 2 more times. My goals are to have one 33 oz done by lunch, then one by dinner and one by bedtime. This gets 99 oz. of water in a day! On day 11 today (as of day 8 I was down 7.5 lbs) and I already noticed I am not pottying as frequently as I did the first few days. The bottles are great too as they have lids and are portable and easy to drink out of! I also am not drinking nearly as much Diet Pepsi as I did before MF which is so awesome!!

Anyway, wanted to give those two possible pointers to help your success! I am by no means an expert but with you in the "I'm new to this" column! Good luck and let's do this TOGETHER :hi5: Don't give up, I need your help as much as you need ours! 5 lbs is GREAT!

Good luck sista!
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » February 17th, 2005, 9:42 am

raederle wrote:Camille's success *is* awesome, but she'll be the first to tell you that she didn't lose even 5 pounds every week, week after week.

In fact, I think if you look at Camille's month-to-month statistics, which are laid out in her sig line, there's one month where her total loss for that MONTH was seven pounds. But she persevered, and lost 70 pounds in five and a half months! There's a role model!
24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Thanks for the kick in the butt

Postby Gabbysmom » February 17th, 2005, 10:10 am

DDDDUUUUHHHH!! I am doing the 6+1 not the 5+1! Thanks for pointing that out! As far as the water goes...I am proud to say that I have drank anywhere from 110 oz to 140 since on the program...I was very committed until this morning when the scale pushed me over the edge! But I still haven't cheated! As far as my lean and green, I am a vegetarian but eat fish so I have been having 4ozs of fish seasoned with an asian rub and either a salad or cooked veggies no more than a cup and a half. I think I will do the full fast today to try and jump start my next 5 pound loss!

As far as my history, prior to pregnancy I never hit more than 165 but have struggled with losing weight for the last 15 years. I hope I never see these numbers on a scale again...Medifast will help me acheive that goal. As far as the amount I bought, I got the month supply plus but some additional shakes from someone who had completed the plan.

Thanks for the support...sorry I was so clueless! :?:

Julia
Gabbysmom

Re: Thanks for the kick in the butt

Postby monkeymom » February 17th, 2005, 10:57 am

Gabbysmom wrote:
Thanks for the support...sorry I was so clueless! :?:

Julia.......don't think of yourself as clueless silly girl.....while MF is very convenient and relatively simple (compared to all the weighing and counting of other programs), it is a DRASTIC change in lifestyle and of course you are going to have questions and have a little goof now and then. But it sure seems you are determined with all that water you are dinking!! Way to go :cleader:

Remember that your starting weight is lower than many of us here and that will also effect how much and how quickly you loose the pounds.

Stick with it........it will work for you.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom

Postby bk » February 17th, 2005, 11:00 am

Julia - that is so awesome that you came to the board and held out until you could get some help and perspective instead of cheating & going off program. good work!

Definitely try out 5+1, but check the faqs to see how much fish you can have. I don't know, but it could be more than 4 oz because it's fish. I'll bet you by the time you need to reorder (I have been making sure I have a week's supplies available) I will bet you will not even think twice about staying on program!

also i don't know about your previous diet, but because veggie diets are usually highly carb-based (I know, I was a total veggie for a very long time!) your body might take some extra time getting used to the radical shift in diet.

Okay, i looked up the FAQ thread for you:
http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566
either search eggs or read down to the end of that first post, and you will see protein substitutions, including that you can use eggs and also a little more fish.

Also I am pretty sure there's at least one more vegetarian on the forum, although I can't remember who!

We are rooting for you. stick with it and don't despair!
bk
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby GabbysMom » February 17th, 2005, 2:58 pm

Thanks you guys I appreciate your support! Just got back from the mall where my friend was trying to convince me to have a Cinnabun. Thanks to everyones support I was able to resist!
Want to regain my life not this weight!
GabbysMom
Newbie - #10 Club

Postby monkeymom » February 17th, 2005, 5:49 pm

Great job Gabbysmom!
I must ask though, is your "friend" aware that you are serious about your diet? If she is, she needs to be more of a friend and enjoy her cinnabon while you enjoy working on your new, slim, trim body.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom

Postby Shelly Mills » February 17th, 2005, 5:55 pm

Julia,

Give yourself a little credit!! I, too have been on this for almost 7 days. I love the food. And I am starting to like me, too (because I did not go to the candy machine today). I have yo- yo'd all of my life- at one point, I was 220 pounds. I tried phentermine, the damaging phen phen, slimfast, you name it.. I gained every ounce back because I never learned to eat! With this plan, it is AWESOME. It shows you total portion control. Wow, it does not taste like chalk!!! Five pounds is GREAT!! There were some weekends I could easily gain 5!! And think, 5 per week, or I will even be realistic- lets's say three per week- that is 12 per month! That is over two five pounds of sugar off the bod!!! In two months- 24 pounds, three months, 36 pounds!!! And it is a fun game to see what clothes are going to fit from week to week. And even more fun to treat yourself to some new ones- like Leopard women on here!!! This site has really inspired me! My friend just satred today and she seemed a little down in the dumps, and I called her and said "You can do it, you can do it, put your mind to it"!!! Hey, Julia , so can you. And dag gone it, I see it says you are a wife- well, it does not hurt to get checked out when you lose the weight and the compliments start flowing in- that is an AWESOME feeling...so you go girl- stick with me!! I know we all want to lose the weight in a day! I know I do, too!! but hang in there, and before you know it, we will be saying, wow, that seemed like a day- LOOK AT ME NOW!!! GO GET 'UM GIRL!!!!
Shelly Mills

5 pounds in one week

Postby kelly1234 » February 17th, 2005, 9:57 pm

Julia,

I just wanted to tell you that you and I are in the same boat. I have been on the program for almost 5 weeks and when I weighed myself at 4 weeks (last week) I had lost 15 poounds. My first week - I had lost 5 pounds just like you. I now weigh 175 and I started at 190. I also want to get to 130, so we should keep in touch and cheer each other on. This site is wonderful for that. I think you should keep it going, I thought 5 pounds in a week was great and I'm down 15 in 4 weeks. Hang in there!!

Kelly
kelly1234

Postby MamaD » February 18th, 2005, 4:42 am

Hi Julia
Welcome the the greatest little bunch of medifast groupies anywhere!!

Now you are going to love what I have to say!!! People who have more weight to lose, lose more weight their first week. You, being below 200 pounds are on the slimmer side of the Medi Munchers...ya know?? So, I think that 5 pounds is a lot of weight to shed. Don't think of it as the same 5 that you yo yoed before.... think of this as the start of something wonderful. Now you are down your first five...you said you had not cheated...just keep going!!...

Weigh one a week and get some digital scales. WW has some that measure to .2 of a pound. We have some scale junkies here who weigh every hour... this is not going to help you, you have to see results,so if you doing it once a week you will see results!! Honest...listen to mama.. I promise!!

Keep going... keep coming to the boards...

CC
MamaD
Trusted Member

Postby Mrsshrinkinglady » February 19th, 2005, 10:28 am

Hi Julia!
You are doing great and in your first week and able to avoid a Cinnabon is GREAT!!! BTW your friend isn't helping by encouraging you to have one!
Hang in there and weigh again in a week and see the difference your determination and loyalty to the program will bring!
Also if you measure yourself and check inches lost, it helps during those slower weeks where the pounds may not come off as quickly as we would like.
God Bless.
Shrink aka Mary
Mrsshrinkinglady
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Return to Come on in.