?? regarding loose skin... help!!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

?? regarding loose skin... help!!

Postby Ashes » January 19th, 2006, 11:34 am

Hi everyone! This is my 12th day on MF, and I'm loving it. I feel great! I am 9lbs (as of this morning) lighter, but I already feel as though I have lost 50! I am so thankful for this program! :thumbup:

Anyways. I have a question. I carry 95% of my weight in my stomach... no fun. And, I know that on MF I will lose all the weight, but I am concerned with is loose skin once the weight is gone. I'd rather be healthy and thinner and have loose skin than be heavy and unhealthy, but I'd like to take precationary measures if there are any.

So, my question is this: for those of you who have lost a lot of weight, do you have the problem of loose skin? If not what did you do while losing weight to keep skin firm?

Thanks ahead of time, if anyone posts a response! :hug:
Ashes

Postby Hyperion » January 19th, 2006, 12:25 pm

Hi Ashes,

I wondered that myself before losing any weight, and after 59 pounds lost, there is no such thing as loose skin. The friend of mine who lost 85 pounds in 3 months (doing only the shakes), didn't have even a tiny bit of loose skin.

However, we both are about 21 to 25 years old. Maybe you can ask other people too.

I think I've heard of only one case that a person got loose skin... :?
264/150
Began: 2005-11-03
Finished: Never

Went to 150, then began gym to build some muscle; currently 173.8! (Need to cut some fat)

<b>Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.</b>
Hyperion
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby ljm498 » January 19th, 2006, 12:37 pm

I think whether you wind up with loose skin or not depends on several factors. Age, how much weight you lose, skin elasticity, how long you have been over weight and some others I can't quite think of right now. I can tell you about me though. I'm roughly 15lbs away from goal and I do have some loose skin. But honestly, I don't really care too much about it because it's far better being this much lighter. Most of my loose skin is in my stomach, but I do have other factors contributing to it such as my stomach was WAY stretched when pregnant with my son (I swear, he was horizontal in there and not head down!) That, together with the fact that I was obese for many years. My legs and arms are slightly loose but from what I've read, it can take minor looseness (is that a word?) about a year to firm up with exercise. But, if you have severe loose skin, the only thing that will remove that is surgery.

But overall, of the two, I will take loose skin ANY day over being 214lbs EVER again.

Hope that helps! Good luck on your journey to health!
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Unca_Tim » January 19th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Hi Ash and welcome to the forum,
:wave:
We've talked about this subject quite a bit here on the forum.
If you do a search for "loose skin" you'll find a lot of discussion about it.

Hit the search button and type in "loose and skin" without the quotes and you'll find quite a few posts about it. Be sure and include the word "and" in your search.

Also, here's a post by our LilMissTexas and her experience:
http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/diet-3265.html

We're glad you found us and keep us posted on your progress...:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Gwenski » January 19th, 2006, 9:26 pm

Howdy Ash and Welcome-

I have lost over 100 lbs and roughly have 50 to go. I am 33 years old and so far things are mostly going back where they should be. I keep lathering on the lotion to try to get my tummy, thighs and arms as much help as I can. Curves has helped to keep things sort of in check - for now, I am looking into a personal trainer to really start targeting the trouble spots to see what I can and cannot get back to pre-beached whale state. Time will tell. Everyone's body is different so you really never know until you get to or close to your goal.

You can always consult with your doctor about realistic expectations as to what you can and cannot get back. I will be doing that in the next few months not only to get the 4-1-1 but to shock my doctor.

Fat, being a woman and gravity are pretty tough on the body....best wishes.
Gwenski

Began July 6, 2005 & Originally lost 131.19#'s
New Start Date: November 8, 2008
Gwenski

Return to Weight Loss