does fast weight loss leave loose skin?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

does fast weight loss leave loose skin?

Postby lulu » April 6th, 2004, 1:48 pm

I'm just starting out and am really worried that I'll have huge flaps of loose skin on my stomach and arms, among other places!
Also, I've read that rapid weight loss can cause a person to lose muscle instead of fat.
Help!
lulu

Postby explorthis » April 6th, 2004, 2:54 pm

Options...

110 pounds I dropped in about 120-130 days. I started 6'3" at 337#. I lost rapidly. Very rapidly. Skin hanging? Some, yes. Not enough for me to run to Mack the knife. I think it’s all relative. I know I am at a perfect weight for my size, but I still see some lose skin.

What are my options? The knife? Nope. Exercise? Yes, I am to an extent. Lose slower? Lets ask the group how losing slow goes. We created this person, and we have to deal with the ramifications that come from weight loss, slow or fast. I really don’t think, and I could be wrong, that if I took 2 years to lose 100 pounds, or 3-1/2 months, in the general scheme of things the skin elasticity would be the same. Is it Collagen? I heard when you hit your late 30’s or 40’s (do not quote me) you lose the elasticity somewhat in your skin. Yes, I have some “loose” stuff, but it is the way it is.

I pretty much have the philosophy, if you don’t like me for what I am (WHAT I AM) then you can pound sand to your heart’s content. I am Mike, and this is me.

My 10 cents.
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Landylue » April 6th, 2004, 7:02 pm

A friend of mine lost right at 90 lbs, but she exercised EVERY DAY by running, a lot of water aerobics, jump rope, weights etc. There was absolutely NOTHING hanging on her at all, and she was over 50 at the time.

However, I've got to tell you, I would rather be a healthy, active 135 lbs with saggy boobs, drooping stomach, and crepey thighs, than 277 lbs waiting on my heart to blow out with nice round curves filled with yellow, dimpled fat and not be able to walk a half a block without breathing hard.

If a little loose skin is the price I've personally got to pay, Honey bring it on!

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Carrie » April 7th, 2004, 5:16 am

Here Here Landy.

Obviously I hope I don't have any drooping when I get to my goal weight. BUT I would much rather tuck a fold into my size 12 jeans, than stuff myself into a pair of size 26's.
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby pinkgeek » April 7th, 2004, 7:28 am

Good God Mike...are you packing too? :) I think the little lady just had a question. But seriously, I am with the rest of the group about the skin thing. The knife is not an option for me, I guess otherwise I would have had the easy way out surgery. I actually will go under the knife to have a breast reduction after I get to goal...This is a problem that weighing only 80lbs would not solve for me. I would rather have a lil drooping skin and be much thinner and healthier than be fat and squishy and unhealthy. I think there are toning exercises you can do to firm up the skin and cut extra fat and that sort of thing. I think Mike's comment about your age and the elasticity of the skin makes sense, too. Also it probably depends on how much weight you want to lose. There was a reference to website here on one of the old posts about loose skin. I would suggest going back through the posts and reading it. If I find it, I will post it for you. I wouldn't let a fear of a little loose skin prevent you from trying MF. You can exercise during this program, just not like a mad person, otherwise you will thwart your own efforts. Hope this helps!
~Angela

Start date: 3/21/04
195.5/159.5/115
After a week off: Restart 6/7/04
164/154.4/115
pinkgeek
Trusted Member - #40 Club

thanks to all "loose skin" answers

Postby Lulu » April 7th, 2004, 8:06 am

I agree with all of you who were kind enough to answer my question about loose skin. I would rather have some loose skin than all this fat. But it was just a question for those of you who have been there, so I can maybe take some preventative measures.I know that exercise can help, but the initial information I got from the medifast team was "no exercise". I know that exercise is needed to keep fit, so that concerned me. Maybe they mean no exercise at the beginning of the program. Also, without exercise I know lean muscle tissue will be lost. (no one addressed that question) I do have a lot of weight to lose(120), so I'm hoping fat will go first, then I can add in some exercise and keep the lean.
Thanks again for your support. :roll: :shock: :?
Lulu
Newbie - #20 Club

Postby Jeanette » April 7th, 2004, 8:09 am

That's what they meant--little or no exercise until your body adjusts to the program. It is really important to exercise--it is part of the lifestyle change that we all need to have.
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Carrie » April 7th, 2004, 8:14 am

Hi Lulu,
Medifast recommends that you don't exercise for the first 3-4 weeks, then begin exercising gradually. I think this is addressed in the FAQ section.

I have heard of different practices to aid in skin tightening .... using lotions, stretching and toning exercises, and even one person was told to wear a girdle as you would after cosmetic surgery/reductions/tucks/etc.

This has been an issue before and something we all probably worry about from time to time.

Actually I think I remember seeing posted that our leader Nancy wore a bikini last summer .... so I guess it wasn't a problem for her! (hope I'm not wrong on that recollection)

I guess we're all different and have to hope we don't have to deal with that one issue!
Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

My questions about loose skin

Postby Lulu » April 7th, 2004, 8:20 am

You are all so great to answer me so promptly! I feel as though I've made some friends! Thanks to you all!
:D
Lulu
Newbie - #20 Club

loose skin

Postby row » August 29th, 2005, 2:36 am

im 20 i weighed 110 kg at 18 years of age and now down to 82k.g im 185cm but am wondering i stretched so much how do i get rid of the love handles and tightening up of ma thighs and stomach witrh all those stretch marks
row

Postby LeeannNH » August 29th, 2005, 8:24 am

hi lulu

as i understand it, medifast is a muscle-sparing program due to the soy content, so you will lose fat before muscle. i too worry about loose skin. my husband actually asked me about it. i am 34 and have lost 50# and 50# to go. so far i dont have loose skin. i can tell that i need to start toning excercises. my muscles are definitely out of shape. i havent exercised really since starting mf. i wanted to concentrate on sticking with the eating part, as that is the largest problem i have--sticking with a eating plan. i figure the exercise will follow.

i would take all of the advice given here if your concerns are bothering you alot. i have been calmed by the repeated muscle-sparing info i have read. hope this helps a bit!

take good care
leeann :D
Starting weight on Nov. 3, 2008: 220 | Present weight: 220 | Goal: 135
LeeannNH
Trusted Member

Postby Alisha » August 30th, 2005, 6:12 am

Hi Lulu and welcome to the site! It's great to have you here. :)

I've wondered a lot (actually read: worried myself crazy) about loose skin too - I have about 150lbs to lose in total. However, there have been threads about this before and from what I've seen, no one has experienced any problems with it - with the exception of those who's skin has lost some elasticity due to things such as preganancy(ies). I think Nancy meantioned that she had a little arm skin after she lost her weight but it did firm up over time. My brain is like a sieve sometimes but I think she said it took about a year for it to settle. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I have to keep reminding myself that this is NOT like gastric bypass surgery where you're dropping 15lbs a week. It's faster than most other diets, but not so fast that your body freaks out.

I'm pretty confident in saying that one of the most important keys in retaining skin elasticity is hydration - i.e. ensure that you are drinking at least 64oz of water every single day. I've also heard that shea butter and cocoa butter can help skin a lot. I use them like its going out of style and *cross fingers* I don't have a single stretch mark.

As a side note, if anyone does have any fresh stretch marks (the ones that are purple/pink in color) try Mederma. My mom bought me some for a scar after she used it on one she had and it makes a HUGE difference! The packaging states that it can be used to fade stretch marks and make them appear lighter and softer, so I thought I'd throw that out there. (It will not work on old white ones).

Anyway, I hope you found this helpful.

I wish you every success!

Alisha
"I can resist everything but temptation"

~Oscar Wilde

Alisha
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Guest » February 28th, 2006, 9:16 pm

I'm a 19 year old male and I was 326 and I am now 208 pounds (im 6'3 1/2) and I do have a significant amount of loose skin around my stomach and sides (love handles) I lost 55 pounds through instense dieting with little physical activity and lost the rest with complete physical activity and no dieting but no fast food either. I've been to 3 doctors and they all told me I need to visit have an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) . . I lost this weight from June 2004 till roughly now when I weighed in at my lowest of 208 ... I run on my treadmill usually 3-4 times a week for 40 minutes on 5.5 miles.. incline 4 straight , I do some light weights and go for lengthy walks randomly . I cant really afford to do this surgery but its almost like I cant afford not to because it would make life slightly easier and give me some more confidence. The loose skin is not noticible unless i take my shirt off or wear something absolutely skin tight , but I can wear a mens M or L without any flabby skin appearing... dont know if anyone knows of any solution for me but thats my story more or less.

Return to Weight Loss