loose skin

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

loose skin

Postby pingsthumper » September 30th, 2005, 3:54 pm

is there any way to get rid of the loose skin without surgery?
pingsthumper

Postby jenn161012 » October 5th, 2005, 6:35 pm

I have done a lot of research on this issue. Typically, the skin will contract over time. It may even take a year, but the skin usually does contract. I have also learned that sometimes, if the skin doesn't contract, it is because there is still extra fat underlying the skin that is stretched (so to speak). Stated another way, the fat that remains beneath the excess skin allows it to retain its shape - preventing it from contracting all of the way. If you have ever seen the shows on Discovery health or some other channel that shows gastric bypass patients having a "full body lift" you will understand what I mean. What they remove is not just skin but skin and fat. Usually, those people are not at thier ideal weight.

If you are sure all the extra fat is gone (try using a body fat calculator) just about the only thing you can do is wait and ensure that you are doing everything possible for the skin to retain/restore the skin's elasticity before and during the weightloss process. Admittedly, I am not sure how successful you'll be at restoring elasticity. One way you can attempt this is do this is to use quality butters and oils that have been shown to help improve the skin's elasticity, such as cocobutter. Others, such as shea butter and emu oil, are also fantastic.

The bottom line: If you are at your ideal weight (not necessarily your goal weight) be patient as the skin is capable of retracting over time.

I hope this helps.
Jennifer
Re-start: 6/4/06
221/218/140

<edit>incorrect ticker removed - UT</edit>
jenn161012
Regular Member - #10 Club

Return to Weight Loss