Read any good books lately ...

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Read any good books lately ...

Postby Arklahoma » July 2nd, 2006, 7:40 am

Went to the library yesterday and picked up a stack of books since I'm jobless and waiting for the phone to ring :x

Here's what I'm reading, right now:

A Miles Davis Reader
by Bill Kirchner

Acclaimed as one of the greatest influences on jazz, Miles Davis provided during his 46-year career the impetus for major changes in both the jazz idiom and popular mainstream music. A MILES DAVIS READER focuses on Davis's music but also reveals the opinions and characteristics of a musician who remained a trend-setting "hipster" even as he achieved the status of patriarch.

Jazz 101
by John F. Szwed

John Szwed's concise introduction to the history of jazz traces the music's gradual development over the past century, from its relatively unsophisticated beginnings in the bars and bordellos of New Orleans to its present-day incarnation as the quintessential American art form. Useful to both jazz newcomers and seasoned aficionados, JAZZ 101 features significant highlights in the music's development, including the developing role of the rhythm section, the rise of swing music and the big bands, the advent of bebop, the splintering of the traditional and avant-garde camps in the late 1950s, and recent developments like drum-and-bass and neo-swing. In an erudite, analytical, and passionate narrative, Szwed also reveals some of the techniques behind jazz improvisation, as well as recounting the social pressures that led to the music's marginalization in cities like New York during the 1970s. Mini-biographies of five major jazz innovators, including saxophonist Lester Young and pianist Art Tatum, and appendices including a selected bibliography and record guide round out a valuable addition to the understanding of this vibrant genre.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby supermom » July 2nd, 2006, 8:06 am

Well, I am currently in the middle of a classic thriller. You may know it. "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn" Or, as Max calls it, "Tom Saw Her and Knuckle burried Fins". We read a little every day. They love it.
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 2nd, 2006, 4:35 pm

In the middle of 1776, loving it...

Just finished both sequels to Pride & Prejudice by Linda Berdoll, loved them!

I'm sure I"ll get something at the airport tomorrow...I do that!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby jump4joy » July 2nd, 2006, 10:19 pm

I LOVED Pride and Prejudice, DeDe...I'll be sure to look for the Berdoll sequels you mentioned.

I just finished the entire China Bayles murder mystery series (14 of 'em) by Susan Wittig Albert. She is an excellent and engrossing author. I LOVE a well-written murder mystery!

Joy
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby sidrah » July 2nd, 2006, 10:42 pm

My books are awesome and come highly reccommended by all.

In no particular order of greatness, we have:

Qaulitative Methodologies
Statistical Analysis
Theoretical Frameworks

Many more to name, sadly.... :cry:

Gosh, I read 4 or 5 books a week and I cannot wait until I can get back to having enough free time to read a good book. But, my real list is anything related to DaVinci stuff. I got one as a gift and have been reading them for a year now. I always liked Holy Blood, Holy Grail and those types of books even before the whole movie stuff came out.

I also have every one of the Kathy Reichs books. I bought one and liked it so much I bought the entore set of books- about 10 of them. The TV show Bones is based on the book. But, it is realllly loosely based on it and I don't like the show. I also jsut bought some Anne Rice stuff to re-read. Changing Hands book store is great!
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Mike » July 2nd, 2006, 11:50 pm

I tend to stick with certain authors unless I find a really good new one to read. I have read everything by John Grisham, Michael Crichton, Peter Benchley, John Case, and Richard Preston have written. I have also read all of the Left Behind series as well as the kids version of that... About to start the new Left Behind book. I also just finished the current James Scott Bell novel, whom I have read about 90% of all of his novels as well.
Can't wait for the new Babylon Rising novel to come out.
Well, thats it for now.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby alpha femme » July 3rd, 2006, 12:47 am

mrmmac, based on your selection, i would recommend you check out nelson demille. you might really like him. early clive cussler works might also appeal to you.

i'm a grad sudent majoring in english, so i read a lot. :roll:
good grief, do i read a lot.

some books that i think everyone should read include
east of eden
the color purple
of human bondage
fried green tomatoes
harry potter
night shift
dune
the black stallion
the sisterhood of the traveling pants

it's a diverse list, but all are extremely well-written in their own ways.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby wildtrk » July 3rd, 2006, 6:38 am

I am a books on tape person...given the hectic family life I tend not to have much time to read. So I try to multi task in the car or whever and listen to books on tape.

Last book I finished (which was last week)

"Risk" by Dick Francis.

I am like mrmmac, I tend to stick with one author and try to read everything by them. So I don't tend to have a favorite book as much as i have favorite authors. Here are some of who I like to read.

Dick Francis - Have read/listened to most of his works.
Lawrence Block
Lawrence Shames
Carl Hiaasen
Elmore Leonard
Jack Higgins
Patrick Robinson - Better than Clancy when it comes to military fiction.

Right know I am trying to find "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown to listen to next.

Alex...definitely like the early Clive Cussler stuff. His later books got to "cartoonish" for me. And whoever cast the movie for Sahara got it all wrong, except William Macy as Admiral Sandecker that was close to being right.
327/247/199
MF Start Date 4/14/06
10# - 4/26 40# - 5/25 70# - 7/27
20# - 5/04 50# - 6/18 80# - 8/31
30# - 5/15 60# - 7/1

New Start Date 1/22/10
Starting weight 355/345/199
10# - 2/2/10

"How long does getting thin take?" Pooh asked anxiously.
wildtrk
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 3rd, 2006, 7:06 am

Digital Fortress was great, BTW!!!
Arklahoma

Postby alpha femme » July 3rd, 2006, 10:36 am

carl haissen rocks. the first time i read skin tight, i had tears running down my face from laughing so hard.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Mike » July 3rd, 2006, 9:23 pm

Boy, did I miss some. I've read all of the Harry Potters... eagerly awaiting the final installment. I've read just about all of the Tolkien books of course, and the Chronicles of Narnia series.
Just finished Deception Point, so Digital Fortress is the only Dan Brown book left for me.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby sidrah » July 4th, 2006, 3:32 am

Arklahoma wrote:Digital Fortress was great, BTW!!!

Uh Huh! I have all of the Dan Brown books and they were all great. My favorite was the one before DaVinci Code with the popes.

The only thing about his books that grate me is that I sit on the couch all day until I finish one and then it is over...I wish they were about 200 pages longer.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Arklahoma » July 4th, 2006, 9:13 am

I believe that one was Angels & Demons. It was really good.
Arklahoma

Postby supermom » July 4th, 2006, 11:29 am

Yes, he does. And he has a BAAAD accent. Talk about country!!! It just makes it all the funnier!
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » July 4th, 2006, 1:07 pm

TSFL is not only about losing weight.
The concept is the trilogy.
Healthy Body - Healthy Mind - Healthy Finances

In helping us reach these goals, TSFL had an amazing speaker at the conference in Utah this year.

Your Life as Art
by Robert Fritz

I'm wrapping my brain around this new concept and about half way through the book. (GOTTA make time for this one) The "basic" premise is to stopping chasing and trying to fix/solve problems, but to "create" a vision that supports the results you're trying to achieve.

This is an incredible artist with a whole new way to look at all aspects of your life.

HIGHLY recommended.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Next

Return to What's Shakin'