Good Books......

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Good Books......

Postby Lois » September 23rd, 2004, 9:22 am

Hi Friends,

I am an AVID reader, and have come across a book that has helped me SOOOoooo much as far as inspiration and insight on this weight loss journey goes. It is called "Passing for Thin" by Frances Kuffel.

It is the story of how she, in her 40's, lost HALF her body weight and began life all over again. It is honest, funny, and will sometimes move you to tears. It was THE TURNING POINT FOR ME......the reason why I quit making excuses and started looking for help. Which led me here to MF, this wonderful forum, and all of YOU ;)

I thought it might be a good idea to share with each other the books that are helping to guide and inspire us along the way.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all add to this post. And I hope you'll read "Passing for Thin".....you'll be glad you did!

love and hugs,

Lois

P.S. I just REread it last week, and loved it just as much as the first time through 8)
Lois
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby elle4nelly » September 23rd, 2004, 10:00 am

I will be getting that book. Sound like a fun one!
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby Carrie » September 23rd, 2004, 11:13 am

Hi Lois,

That's one I haven't heard of - I'm going to order it.

I have been using the MF book, 'Fattitudes' and 'Life is Hard, Food is Easy' and they have been helpful, but the one that has helped me the most is 'I Wish I was Thin, I Wish I was Fat'. It focuses on uncovering and resolving the unconscious reasons why we eat - all those patterns we established as children. It has helped me understand why I can start out the day fully intending to stick to my plan, but by evening I'm in a drive-through somewhere. I believe those unconscious beliefs are the source of self-sabotage. This book helps you figure out what your hidden beliefs are and then work towards changing them. It's been a big help to me.

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2004, 11:32 am

I'm still reading Fattitude!! I actually really love that book. I read so many before that and never knew that I had an internal "war" going on within me. I know now that Being fat shelters me from the world and especially from the opposite sex. And that deep inside I'm afraid to be Pretty again and be sought after only to end up in another aweful deal. Food kept me Fat and Fat keeps the male species and all its classes away...allowing me to be safe from hurt
:roll: :roll:

And all this time I never knew....I'll check the other book you've mentioned Carrie along with lois book....It's not just my body that's getting a Makeover...my mind and soul are too.

Nelly

Postby Lois » September 23rd, 2004, 5:53 pm

Those sound excellent.

I heard about "Life is Hard, Food is Easy" but haven't read it. "Fattitude" sounds great, too (what a title!!!)

At least for me, the more I can understand the patterns behind my food addiction, the better I am able to face and deal with it. I've got a LIFETIME of crazy thinking and habits to overcome.

"Passing for Thin" was published in January 2004. I read an excerpt of it in a magazine and couldn't wait 'til January came around so I could read the whole thing.

Sometimes when I feel my resolve slipping, I make myself a cup of tea, go up to my bedroom (AWAY from the f-o-o-d :shock: ) and read. It's just so inspiring. Thanks for posting...I'm looking forward to see what everyone else is reading, too.

hugs,

Lois
Lois

Postby Lois » September 25th, 2004, 11:13 am

What, no more READERS out there??????!!!!! :shock: :oops: ;)

I'm waiting.........................

Lois
Lois

Postby smartiegrrl » September 25th, 2004, 1:15 pm

I do a lot of reading, but I tend to get my inspiration from literature. When I need a good kick in the pants, I read some Ayn Rand, Camus or something along those lines.

I also like the "nourishing ourselves with food" chapter in "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom." :)
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Lois » September 27th, 2004, 10:41 am

Thanks, Smartiegirl! Anyone else??????
Lois

Postby RavenKat » September 27th, 2004, 12:10 pm

I am a book person - let me share my list with you:

When Food is a Foe
Life is Hard, Food is Easy
Why Weight? A Guide to End Compulsive Eating
The 90-Day Fitness Walking Program

Unfortunately I haven't read any of them. :oops: I don't think I'm ready for that stage yet. I mean, I could read them and fill out the questions, etc, but I'm not ready for the hardcore work. I'd be faking my way through it.

I DO refer to "Success in a Shaker Jar" a lot. I feel it is required reading for anyone on the plan. :-P It's got lots of great info.

Kat
259/180/165
RavenKat
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby smartiegrrl » September 27th, 2004, 12:46 pm

I like Success in a Shaker Jar as well. That has really helped me with the plan. I only wish I would have picked it up before I started!
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl

Postby Lois » September 27th, 2004, 7:28 pm

That'as a great looking list, Ravencat! When the time is right, you'll get around to reading them.

I agree....Success in a Shaker Jar is helpful and motivating!

hugs to all,

Lois
Lois

Postby Simmshe » September 29th, 2004, 8:19 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to chime in here, late as I may be! I'm an avid reader, too, and have read more than my fair share of weight-related/compulsive eating books. In fact, I've burned out on them--have virtually zero interest in reading new books along these lines. Ohhh, the list could go on forever, as I've read just about all of em' over the years: Overcoming Overeating, Conquer Your Cravings, Intuitive Eating, When Food is Love, Overcoming Binge Eating, Anatomy of a Food Addiction, Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating, The Solution, The Hunger Within, Taming the Feast Beast, How Much Does Your Soul Weigh? ... okay, you all get the picture!

I've taken a little from all of them, but then others I just felt didn't apply to me and my compulsive eating problem. It's like one book would address one aspect of the compulsive eating problem but not from the perspective of helping someone who's 100-200lbs overweight to lose weight; or a book would be too restrictive for the food part and not really address the emotional eating part, etc.

Okay, so what books would I recommend?
1.) When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull up a Chair--Geneen Roth
2.) Intuitive Eating--Evelyn Tribole, Elyse Resch
3.) You Can Heal Your Life--Louise Hay

I love the Geneen Roth book--it's short chapters drawing on insights that she's shared from her previous books, and this one focuses on learning to love and accept ourselves, regardless of what our weight is. One of the best self-esteem boosting books for women who have body/self-hatred issues (in my humble opinion, of course :)).

Intuitive Eating is a book I plan to go back to read again once I move closer to maintenance stage. I love the section in the book that deals with eating and learning how listen to our bodies as a guide for eating. And this is a non-diet book, so there are no prescribed food lists or anything. Learning how to eat intuitively, I believe, is crucial for long-term success. Following the guidance in this book wasn't feasible for me before, as I was still in the clutches of emotional and compulsive eating. In my opinion, eating "intuitively" doesn't work when a person currently still has serious emotional/compulsive food issues, but is more practical for a person who has gotten a good handle on their food problems. I highly recommend this book!

The last recommendation, You Can Heal Your Life, is not a weight/food-related book at all, but it has been instrumental for improving my self-esteem and self-acceptance. This book may be a little too "new agey" for some, but if you like these types of books, I highly recommend it. The author writes about how to transcend our negative beliefs and thought patterns about ourselves and learn to be positive and accepting of ourselves. And concomitantly "healing our lives." This is a colorful, quick-reading book with lists and plenty of postive affirmations.

Okay, that's it! By the way, some of the books that I said that I have read before are still in my book collection. So, if anyone is interested in reading any of these books, I'd be glad to donate them! I know that I have Conquer Your Cravings, The Solution, Anatomy of a Food Addiction, Overcoming Binge Eating, Overcoming Overeating (I think I still have this one, have to check), Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating, and How Much Does Your Soul Weigh? (which is really a good book that I just recently bought, but as I've said, I'm burned out on these books). Let me know if any of you want one of these books, I'd be glad to send them your way!

Sheryl
Restart: 5/01/05
333/280/155

Original start: 7/13/04-12/12/04
High weight (1997): 386lbs

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe

Postby elle4nelly » September 29th, 2004, 11:52 am

Genan Roth writes nice books about compulsive overeating!
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby Lois » September 29th, 2004, 2:39 pm

Thanks Sheryl!

I'm a Geneen Roth fan, too ;)

hugs,

Lois
Lois

Return to The Weight Room