Read any good books lately ...

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Postby DogMa » July 4th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Read Janet Evanovich's latest in the Stephanie Plum series on the plane to Utah. Started "Wicked" when I was there, but I'm not loving it so it's taking me awhile.

I've read all the Dan Brown books and all the Harry Potters. I also love Dean Koontz (partly because he's from Orange County, Calif., and most of his books are set there - I lived there for 12 years) and Diane Mott Davidson and Ed McBain (although he's dead now). And James Patterson, even though I don't think he's a very good writer; I like his stories, though. And Michael Crichton, although "State of Fear" is still sitting on a shelf at home, waiting for me.

I tend to read a lot of mysteries, then suddenly get in the mood for something more classic. So I think next up might be "Treasure Island," since that's another one that's been sitting around at my house for a while.

I've read nearly everything on Alex's list. Not "Night Shift," though.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 15th, 2006, 7:26 am

New job starts on Monday so starting to re-focus. Book I'm currently reading is ...

Pivotal Moments in Nursing: Leaders Who Changed the Path of a Profession
By Beth P. Houser & Kathy N. Player

Arklahoma

Postby Arklahoma » August 12th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Just finished ...

Isolation Ward
by Joshua Spanogle

From Publishers Weekly
Dr. Nathaniel McCormick, an officer in the CDC's Epidemic Intelligence Service, is called to St. Raphael's Hospital in Baltimore, where three young women come to the emergency room complaining of flulike symptoms and, after being admitted, begin to deteriorate in very alarming (and graphic) ways. After their skin begins to slough off in large patches, Nate fears the worst: that a deadly viral disease has been unleashed as part of a terrorist attack. Nate is an intelligent, impulsive, intriguing character, willing to lie and steal from both friend and foe to further the case. Once he learns, at a very high price, that a drug company has been experimenting with a very particular means for treating diseased organs, things begin to come together—but time remains of the essence. Spanogle is a funny, smart and skilled writer at the beginning of what readers will hope is a long and prolific career. Copyright Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Arklahoma

Postby Mike » August 12th, 2006, 7:21 pm

I am currently reading The Rapture, the last of the prequel series to the Left Behind series.
Next will probably be Digital Fortress... my teacher friend Bev just finished it and am waiting to get it from her.
Then will be the 4th installment in the Babylon Rising series (I am a big Christian Fiction/Prophecy reader).
I am also eagerly awaiting the next John Case book (husband and wife team who wrote the Genesis Code, the Syndrome, etc.
No more Peter Benchley books to be as he passed this last year... and waiting for Grisham or Crichton to come out with a new one. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Arklahoma » August 12th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Digital Fortress is most excellent. I think I've read all the Dan Brown's. I've also read all of the Left Behind series except the last one, I think. Need to check out John Case.
Arklahoma

Postby alpha femme » August 12th, 2006, 7:35 pm

john case is an excellent writer... or they are, i should say.
try the genesis code first; it's great.
Last edited by alpha femme on August 12th, 2006, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Mike » August 12th, 2006, 7:39 pm

I agree Alex. Read them in order they were published. I loved the last one.. Murder Artist... very intriguing. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby JeepGirl » August 12th, 2006, 7:46 pm

ohh I was just given the first John Case and now I will have to read it to see what the hubbub is about :lol:

I have read all the Left behind as well as many other Tim LaHaye books. Also if you ever have the opportunity to hear him speak I highly recommend it! I took a class with him and Dr. Richard Lee at our old church and needless to say it was life-changing!

LOL Robin..I have read all James Patterson too .. each time I do Craig says "But I thought you didnt like him?" I do like his stories though.

Dan Brown is a great author and I loved Digital Fortress!!

It is cool to see that other people actually enjoy the same books as I do :lol:
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby TonyR » August 12th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Grisham is coming out with a new one in October!!!!! :lol:
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Arklahoma » August 12th, 2006, 8:07 pm

What is the first John Case book? I just put "The First Horseman" in my hold list at the library along with The Catcher in the Rye.
Arklahoma

Postby alpha femme » August 12th, 2006, 8:11 pm

ark, it's the genesis code.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Mike » August 12th, 2006, 8:23 pm

Here is more info on books by John Case:
The Genesis Code (1997)
The First Horseman (1998)
The Syndrome (2000)
Trance State (2001) (same book as The Syndrome... new title)
The Eighth Day (2002)
The Murder Artist (2004)
Dance of Death (2006)
aka Ghost Dance
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby Arklahoma » August 12th, 2006, 8:44 pm

Thanks for the detailed info, Mike. Looks like I'll have to update my library list.
Arklahoma

Postby JeepGirl » August 13th, 2006, 7:08 am

Trance State (2001) (same book as The Syndrome... new title)

[vent]That drives me batty..especially when they change the "preview" I buy it then like 3 pages into know I already read it ggrrrr lol [/endvent]
Last edited by JeepGirl on August 13th, 2006, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Mike » August 13th, 2006, 12:06 pm

JeepGirl wrote:Trance State (2001) (same book as The Syndrome... new title)

[vent]That drives me batty..especially when they change the "preview" I buy it then like 3 pages into know I already read it ggrrrr lol [/endvent]

I know what you mean, thats kinda why I checked it out... when I looked at the list I was like.. a John Case book I hadn't heard about? Then I checked and recognized it was the same book.
They did the same thing with a Peter Benchley novel, "White Shark-1995" is the same book as "Creature-1998"
Just trying to get new business I guess. They made a TV movie about it too, pretty bad one.
:x
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Previous

Return to What's Shakin'